The Student Room Group

Old school mates making fun of me for going to uni

I am from a poor part of Manchester, where a lot of people don’t go to uni. Especially in my school, this was the case. I was one of 7 in my year who went to uni. Currently in my 1st year at LSE, some of my old friends who went to the same secondary school told me that I’m not like them and not welcomed back. They said I’m posh and forgetting my past. I was the poorest of my friends, and now that I’m trying to better myself at uni, they are rejecting me. Not sure what I should do, just cut contact or try and reconcile?
If you worked hard to get into University, don't let your old friends talk to you like that. Not your fault they are not successful.
Reply 2
What you’re doing is alien to them and they feel threatened by it. This is why they respond as they are.

In likelihood you could do with some friends at home, so I’d make some steps towards them. Just say once that you’re not posh and exactly the same person as you were before and you hope you can go and do whatever it was you used to do together. If after this you do t get any joy, you might have to accept it’s over.

Don’t feel you can’t talk about in I but just be careful to not say too much or imply your life is better than theirs….never goes down well.

It may well be that if you stay in touch grow apart as your lives change anyway. But don’t let it be you that drives the wedge. Stay friendly and open and don’t forget your roots. I’m sure you’re not, but sometimes some 18 year olds can be abit obnoxious and lacking empathy when they move away.

Allyou can do is remain friendly. In the end though, if they refuse to engage there’s not a lot you can do. That would be sad but ultimately they might not be a massive loss if this is the case.
They’re toxic and actually quite jealous and insecure that you're going on to higher education and they're not. Don't listen to their nonsense, they're trying to bring you down because deep down they hate the thought that you're succeeding and have your life together more than them. Going to uni isn't posh lmaooo, so many people go to uni, most of whom aren't rich. If they continue with that tosh then just cut them off honestly, you'll probs make much more like-minded mates at uni.
(edited 7 months ago)
Original post by Anonymous
I am from a poor part of Manchester, where a lot of people don’t go to uni. Especially in my school, this was the case. I was one of 7 in my year who went to uni. Currently in my 1st year at LSE, some of my old friends who went to the same secondary school told me that I’m not like them and not welcomed back. They said I’m posh and forgetting my past. I was the poorest of my friends, and now that I’m trying to better myself at uni, they are rejecting me. Not sure what I should do, just cut contact or try and reconcile?

ur in LSE mate the world is at ur fingertips forget about what these people say you'll meet new amazing people along the way.
Reply 5
Original post by Wombat11
What you’re doing is alien to them and they feel threatened by it. This is why they respond as they are.

In likelihood you could do with some friends at home, so I’d make some steps towards them. Just say once that you’re not posh and exactly the same person as you were before and you hope you can go and do whatever it was you used to do together. If after this you do t get any joy, you might have to accept it’s over.

Don’t feel you can’t talk about in I but just be careful to not say too much or imply your life is better than theirs….never goes down well.

It may well be that if you stay in touch grow apart as your lives change anyway. But don’t let it be you that drives the wedge. Stay friendly and open and don’t forget your roots. I’m sure you’re not, but sometimes some 18 year olds can be abit obnoxious and lacking empathy when they move away.

Allyou can do is remain friendly. In the end though, if they refuse to engage there’s not a lot you can do. That would be sad but ultimately they might not be a massive loss if this is the case.

You’re probably right about it being alien to them. I was the first in my whole extended family to even go to sixth form, let alone university. To my knowledge, none of my friends family members went to uni.

I’ll remain friendly, but they’ve been putting up instagram stories of my face photoshopped onto Jacob Rees Mogg, which is comical to be honest.
Reply 6
You’re probably right about it being alien to them. I was the first in my whole extended family to even go to sixth form, let alone university. To my knowledge, none of my friends family members went to uni.

I’ll remain friendly, but they’ve been putting up instagram stories of my face photoshopped onto Jacob Rees Mogg, which is comical to be honest.

These lot don't sound like friends.
Reply 7

Honestly they aint your true mates...

Wgen i orriginally went to uni, my "mates" said proper nasty **** about me used my best mates facebook to attack me and send me ****. And all it was because they were jealous that id gone to uni and moved away.
Most of my friends either deffered for a year or didnt go at all. But i blocked them all and genuinly never looked back. My mates that were my true mates that never went to 6th form or uni were proud of me for going!
Honestly use this as a way of making nre genuine friends that build you up not knock you down!
Reply 8
They are jealous. **** them off and do better for yourself.

Mates ought to be people who raise you up, not people who are taking pot shots from jealousy.

Quick Reply

Latest

Trending

Trending