The Student Room Group

UKCAT for 2017 Entry to UK

Scroll to see replies

Original post by doculmc7171
I did medify mock 1 and got a really bad score.
I got:
VR-550
AR-650
QR-600
SJT-Band 2
I've been preparing for almost 2 months now and my exam is in 3 days.
I honestly thought I would do a lot better.
I don't know what to do. I only have 3 days and my scores are so low.
How similar is medify mock 1 to the real exam? I'm really struggling with vr but I thought my AR would pull up my grade but I didn't do well in that either. I'm really stuck. Help?!

Hey! Relax! These mocks aren't your real scores. My exam is in 3 days too and my scores range anywhere from 590-670 average depending on how hard the exam is and how i am feeling.
If you aren't already doing so, i would suggest going over your AR section ASAP and make a list of all the patterns you did not find. Keep going over that list over the next 3 days.
Now, go back and do as many practise questions and mocks as you can :smile:
Original post by kiwifruit99
I just did that mock too. I got 63% in QR too and 72% in QR and 54% in AR.
I am not exactly sure about AR but i have heard that QR is easier but this does not mean that you can get complacent! UKCAT is all about luck and if you are super unlucky on the day, you might end up getting all the hard QR questions.

Yeah, i did mock C and did much better. Timings in QR are still hard but AR i got quite lucky with my guessing. They seem like strange patterns but people who have done the real thing say that the patterns are mostly simple generally. How is it fair when someones guesses are luckier than others and someone gets harder questions? It can be the difference between getting into med school!
Original post by ASTK98
Use this method:

(S)hape
(C)olour
(A)rrangement
(N)umber
(S)ize

Prioritise them in order of Shape, Colour, Size, Arrangement and Size.

When looking at a set, look at the simplest box to avoid allowing distractor shapes to get in the way of you identifying the pattern. Then say to yourself, is there something which is being repeated in all the other boxes for that set? Is there a particular shape? Is there always a shape arranged in the top right hand corner? Is the triangle always bigger than the circle?

Sometimes looking at the two simplest boxes between set A and B can help you identify a difference in the pattern. Remember, it's always possible to find similarities in the pattern between both sets but don't let it put you off, keep looking for a difference.

Then after say, you've completed all the AR questions in your book, construct a mind map of all the patterns you've come across (give each pattern a section that corresponds with SCANS) and make sure you memorise the sh*t out of them. Every time to come across a new pattern add it to this mind map too; ideally use an A3 piece of paper so you have a lot of space. Memorising the patterns might not seem like it helps much; but I watched a lecture once by a psychologist who said that sometimes if you've learnt something off by heart and you see something that triggers your memory of it, you will remember what it is even though you may not have consciously been thinking about it. So for example, if you're looking through a set and you're not thinking of a particular pattern you've come across before, your brain will remember it and remind you of if! Pretty cool, huh?

One last piece of advice. Start off by trying to identify patters in untimed conditions, there's no need to rush yourself so much otherwise you won't be able to identify patterns. Then, slowly, ease yourself into timed conditions. IMO don't start timed conditions until you've got a mind map of at least 30 different patterns in total.

Hope this helps.

Thank you so much for this! Do you have any examples of your own mind maps that I could perhaps look at in order to see how I should do my own?
Is there any point redoing new stems on medify especially for AR? Wanna hold off from the mocks
As a proportion, how many T/F/CT questions came up for VR as opposed to the reading comprehension type? What resource is the most similar to VR?

Posted from TSR Mobile
Original post by studentleah
Thank you so much for this! Do you have any examples of your own mind maps that I could perhaps look at in order to see how I should do my own?

Sure! This is my first draft. I'll probably make another one on A3 paper once I've finished doing more questions. Excuse my messy writing. 🙈
Original post by Pinder_xx
hi do you have a mind map, if you do could you please post it as it would be very helpful if I could compare it with mine.

Yes, check my last post.
Original post by Not_a_horse
No they don't, but you sometime you might need to use the answer from a previous part in another question.

Sorry that's what I was meant to ask :smile:
I've found that Kaplan and Medify do this sometimes, and it's annoying having to flick back to see what I answered!
realistically, what UKCAT score do you need for Edinburgh and Kings (to be competitive?) Love both those unis and hoping will do well in UKCAT but worried I will get like 650-700 not sure if that is high enough :frown:
Mmm, the main problem i have with the UKCAT is how much it is down to luck. Of course, you can prepare for hours and this will certainly help. But, if you get really unlucky with the questions none of that will matter. You could get a load of easy verbal reasoning questions or a load of harder verbal reasoning questions. You could get a load of simple patterns or you could get 10 impossible to solve patterns. What they should really do is standardise the test so everyone sits the same paper (Although not the same :wink:).

For example, they should produce 4 different papers. There are 4 dates in the summer when you can take the ukcat at their centres (With each day having a different paper). Once all the results are in, they compare what people got on each of the papers and therefore weight them (Similar to UMS). Then we get our grades in around late september. It stops this random RNG as everyone is in the same boat, and even if a paper is harder it is weighted so you will be rewarded for the difficulty.
Reply 3310
Guys my UKCAT is in 3 days and I just did the Medify mock 2.
My scores were :
VR 670
QR 630
AR 730
SJT Band 2

>Is this any good and how do the medify mocks compare to the real thing? Also, Im finding the medify AR questions much easier than the ones in 1000 questions-- Is this just me??
Finally does anyone have any good tips about the Ukcat.....Im scared AF
Original post by isabella1999
realistically, what UKCAT score do you need for Edinburgh and Kings (to be competitive?) Love both those unis and hoping will do well in UKCAT but worried I will get like 650-700 not sure if that is high enough :frown:

680 should be more than good enough for Kings, not sure about Edinburgh though. Btw Kings don't actually have a strict threshold, it's more of a guide. My friends score was below last year's "threshold" for Kings but still got an interview
Is it worth reading the entire text in VR before attempting the questions? or would it just be a waste of time?
Do you get scrap paper?
Original post by 12Russ
Is it worth reading the entire text in VR before attempting the questions? or would it just be a waste of time?

Massive waste of time. Identify key words in the question and scan for them in the passage. Bare in mind you have under 30s per question so reading the passage would waste so much time
Original post by ib_hopeful
Do you get scrap paper?

You get like a small white board with markers.
Reply 3316
My scores were :
VR 670
QR 630
AR 730
SJT Band 2

>Is this any good and how do the medify mocks compare to the real thing? Also, Im finding the medify AR questions much easier than the ones in 1000 questions-- Is this just me??
Anyone know a good personal statement website which is cheap?
Original post by Ebro16
My scores were :
VR 670
QR 630
AR 730
SJT Band 2

Those scores are really good! Medify is meant to be as a whole, easier than the 1000q book according to a lot of people. From what I've seen on this thread people seem to get 100 ish higher in the real thing than what they got in their mocks but obviously that doesn't happen to everyone nor will it necessarily happen it's just a pattern I've been seeing every now and again :smile: you're doing really well just stay calm for the next few days and you'll do amazing I'm sure ☺️

Posted from TSR Mobile
Reply 3319
Original post by studentsixth
I wouldn't recommend pushing your date back any further. Keep it as it is, so you know exactly what deadline you're trying to target at (plus, worrying about the UKCAT will start to put you off your A2 which are also very important!).

The 1000Q book is indeed harder but with more practice you'll soon get the hang of it. Most people tend to do better on the actual day than in practice but there are also people who end up getting a mean section and consequently suffer from a lower than expected average. You just need to keep on practicing. Practice literally does make perfect with the UKCAT, especially with AR.

In regards to you being away for so long: Is there no way that you could take some UKCAT work with you (or a laptop) so you can have time to practice too? I'm just thinking that maybe part of the reason you are scoring 60% might be due to you being too tired when practicing at 9pm! It's much better to practice with a clear mind than to do it absolutely exhausted. When I did multiple mock exams in a day, my score tended to start high and then plummet as I got more tired throughout the day.

Fortunately for me I don't have an "A2" as I am in Scotland - all exams done now for this year!

Thanks for the reply and I appreciate your tips, I will take this on board. I think tiredness definitely can be a big reason!

Quick Reply

Latest

Trending

Trending