Hey there! Sign in to join this conversationNew here? Join for free

F334 (19/06/2013 9:00AM) - Salters Chemistry (Chemistry of Materials) Revision Thread Watch

• View Poll Results: How did you find this paper?
    Very easy (~74 for an A)
    18.75%
    Easy (~71 for an A)
    22.92%
    Average (~65 for an A)
    43.75%
    Hard (~61 for an A)
    12.50%
    Very Hard (~58 for an A)
    2.08%

ReputationRep:
    (Original post by kezeyer)
    What did everyone get for the orders question? They're usually really easy but I got confused by the RDS bit afterwards.
    I got zero for the first one and second for the one underneath. What did you get?? Not sure if i got that one right it took me ages to figure out!

ReputationRep:
    (Original post by aWildPidgey)
    Orders:

Did everyone get 1st for Ch3Cl or whatever

2nd for H2o

RDS was step 2 and was wrong as it didn't contain water, which was in the rate equation and so in the RDS
    Got those orders. I remember a question being on why was the guy's equations correct. I don't think they asked us about RDS.

ReputationRep:
    (Original post by EstebanK0)
    Got those orders. I remember a question being on why was the guy's equations correct. I don't think they asked us about RDS.
    Question was about why the mechanism/equation was wrong wasn't it???

ReputationRep:
    (Original post by Bonnbbb)
    I got zero for the first one and second for the one underneath. What did you get?? Not sure if i got that one right it took me ages to figure out!
    I got one and then two...

For the rate determining step I said that two moles of water react in the fast step reaction to give an intermediate, which can go onto react with halogenoalkane.

I'm really not sure on that; it was quite a weird kinetics question

ReputationRep:
    (Original post by abzy1234)
    For the E/Z isomer thingy I got this:

Attachment 228210

I think something like this came up in the Jan 2013 F335 paper...
    I got this too! Except I also drew lines in for the hydrogen atoms. The only reason why I remember this is because I viewed a video about this type of Isomerism in November... absolute miracle I remembered it.

(Original post by kezeyer)
    What did everyone get for the orders question? They're usually really easy but I got confused by the RDS bit afterwards.
    H2O of order 2, CH3Cl of order 1, overall three. I was super confused about this as well - who the hell practically raises their concentrations of a solution by 1.5? If anything, the investigation taught me that even doubling your concentrations are hard enough.

For the second bit - CH3Cl was part of the rate equation, therefore the rate determining step, therefore it must be involved in the slow reaction.

Also added a bit on saying the ions [OH-] and [H+] are going to be incredibly unstable in the gaseous state, so any reaction involving them must be fast.

goes from colourless to pink doesn't it?
    MnO4- is purple in colour. The only reason why I remembered that is because my new Chem teacher was hell bent on doing EVERY SINGLE PRACTICAL in the textbook.

ReputationRep:
    Orders:

Did everyone get 1st for Ch3Cl or whatever

2nd for H2o

RDS was step 2 and was wrong as it didn't contain water, which was in the rate equation and so in the RDS
    Yeah, that's what I got. But I thought the RDS bit ask how it supported the orders, so I wrote about CH3Cl being involved or something? I don't know, definitely messed up that part anyway. Ah well!

ReputationRep:
    (Original post by Another)
    I got this too! Except I also drew lines in for the hydrogen atoms. The only reason why I remember this is because I viewed a video about this type of Isomerism in November... absolute miracle I remembered it.

H2O of order 2, CH3Cl of order 1, overall three. I was super confused about this as well - who the hell practically raises their concentrations of a solution by 1.5? If anything, the investigation taught me that even doubling your concentrations are hard enough.

MnO4- is purple in colour. The only reason why I remembered that is because my new Chem teacher was hell bent on doing EVERY SINGLE PRACTICAL in the textbook.
    Yes I know but if you watch this video

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=eVomKthCP_k

it shows that the solution remains colourless after addition of Mno4- (somewhere around the middle they stop adding Mno4 and it turns back from purple to colourless

I said the solution turns pink from colourless

ReputationRep:

I only remembered it because there was something like that in the F335 paper in Jan 2013!

Got what you got for the kinetics thingy, and lol, totally agree with them multiplying it by 1.5!

And I wish my teacher(s) actually did some practicals with us

ReputationRep:
    Question was about why the mechanism/equation was wrong wasn't it???
    I swear it was on why they were correct or something like that.

ReputationRep:
    I'm sure the question asked how the mechanism was wrong didn't it???

ReputationRep:
    I think it will. But we have no idea how everyone did across the country, so we'll just have to wait and see. Compared to the Jan paper, I think this was a broadly similar paper
    damn iv made soo many silly mistake aswell :/ guess we just have to wait till results day

ReputationRep:
    Can anyone get a copy of the exam?

ReputationRep:
    I'm sure the question asked how the mechanism was wrong didn't it???
    The question was why is it right and I think it was 1 mark?

ReputationRep:
    For the orders questions I put 1 for ch3cl and 0 for h20. As h20 didnt appear in RDS, butg ch3cl did appear in RDS at 1 molecule. Not sure got quite confused on that.

ReputationRep:
    Yes I know but if you watch this video

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=eVomKthCP_k

it shows that the solution remains colourless after addition of Mno4- (somewhere around the middle they stop adding Mno4 and it turns back from purple to colourless

I said the solution turns pink from colourless
    ....And this is why I hate chemistry titrations. In fact, this is why I hate chemistry end of.

I think the other question said "How does the reaction support the scientists hypothesis," or something like that.

I only remembered it because there was something like that in the F335 paper in Jan 2013!
    Why do you even still remember F335. That crap was last week. And ugly. Forget it. Now.

And I wish my teacher(s) actually did some practicals with us
    One of my old teachers only went over "key practicals." Our new teacher, who had a PhD in organic chemistry, was more along the lines of "YEA LETS TEACH YOU EVERYTHING, EVEN THE COMPLETE MECHANISMS OF BENZENE REACTIONS WITH CURLY ARROWS AND INTERLOCKING P ORBITALS AND STUFF." Yeap, he was probably the reason I passed.

ReputationRep:
    (Original post by MTI)
    damn iv made soo many silly mistake aswell :/ guess we just have to wait till results day
    Don't worry, I'm sure you'll pick up marks elsewhere

Exactly, no point worrying about what's done tbh. If anything it's time to celebrate that chemistry is all over!

ReputationRep:
    (Original post by EdwinLo)
    The question was why is it right and I think it was 1 mark?

....And this is why I hate chemistry titrations. In fact, this is why I hate chemistry end of.

I think the other question said "How does the reaction support the scientists hypothesis," or something like that.
    Yeah it said support the researcher's hypothesis

ReputationRep:
    Was it first order and then 2nd order for h20 and overall was 3 right ?

Posted from TSR Mobile

ReputationRep:
    (Original post by Futuristicmedic)
    Was it first order and then 2nd order for h20 and overall was 3 right ?

Posted from TSR Mobile
    Yeah most likely it should be that

ReputationRep:
    Didn't it say:

The mechanism is wrong or something

Use the orders of reactions and equations to explain why

• See more of what you like on The Student Room

You can personalise what you see on TSR. Tell us a little about yourself to get started.

• Poll
    Brussels sprouts
  • See more of what you like on The Student Room

You can personalise what you see on TSR. Tell us a little about yourself to get started.

• The Student Room, Get Revising and Marked by Teachers are trading names of The Student Room Group Ltd.

Register Number: 04666380 (England and Wales), VAT No. 806 8067 22 Registered Office: International House, Queens Road, Brighton, BN1 3XE

Quick reply
    Reputation gems: You get these gems as you gain rep from other members for making good contributions and giving helpful advice.