The Student Room Group

GCSE students - study leave?

Scroll to see replies

I have two exams before study leave starts at my school. I think we leave on the 15th/16th or 17th - the teachers won't tell us for sure. Last year everyone was told that they were leaving on the Friday and then actually had to go on the Wednesday so there was no trouble!
I'm glad my school tells us when we're leaving, because otherwise I'd think that everyday I might be leaving so theres no point in bringing in my stuff etc.
I break up for study leave on the 12th May. I have a Spanish oral about 4/5th but other than that I think I have about a week til my first exam (?) excluding applied art.

But I have 1 last English oral to do (I did the 2 others the week before we broke up for Easter with no preparation) and I have a load of stuff to learn cos I missed a load of school.:frown: :frown:
In my school we dont have any time off (well 1 day i think) before the exam starts

they say its because in school the teachers will help you revise, which i guess is true so yea...... so i revise in school
My study leave starts May 12th and my exams start on May 23rd... i only have three..and then its half term..then 2 full week of exams :eek:
I'm soo nervous! i m going to wake up at 5am everyday from now on :frown:
Reply 25
did you know the Government are thinking of taking away study leave in the next few years, as my school is one of the trail schools!!! So i do not get study leave
Reply 26
I go back to school tomorrow... then I have my Spanish oral exam on Monday 24th April and Fine Art exam shortly after that. We break up for study leave on the 5th of May, so 13 days of school till then. We need to finish our syllabus in Physics for sure, I think we've finished the curriculum in other subjects.
i break up on May 19th, my first exam is before this *french orals, May 9th*. I cant believe that some schools let you finish on the 5th of May. I like staying in school longer as teachers can mark your past papers and answer questions
Reply 28
jakesampson
i break up on May 19th, my first exam is before this *french orals, May 9th*. I cant believe that some schools let you finish on the 5th of May. I like staying in school longer as teachers can mark your past papers and answer questions

My first exam is my French oral as well on the 5th of May.

I think that there should be some universal system whereby everyone breaks up on the same day or at least the same week. It's just simply unfair that some people get longer off or less time in school (which ever way you look at it). The school told us the reason we don't get any study leave before exams is because the government won't let us. That must be crap if half of you here are leaving before the 19th. :rolleyes:

NM
natalie-marie
My first exam is my French oral as well on the 5th of May.

I think that there should be some universal system whereby everyone breaks up on the same day or at least the same week. It's just simply unfair that some people get longer off or less time in school (which ever way you look at it). The school told us the reason we don't get any study leave before exams is because the government won't let us. That must be crap if half of you here are leaving before the 19th. :rolleyes:

NM

I agree, we should all have equal amount of time in/out of school. My first exam is my Music terminal task, on the 2nd May, followed by two language orals on the 7th and the 9th. Eek!
Reply 30
Excalibur
I agree, we should all have equal amount of time in/out of school. My first exam is my Music terminal task, on the 2nd May, followed by two language orals on the 7th and the 9th. Eek!

I've had my music - in March! Eeek! I was singing for my solo and clarineting for my ensemble, but the crap thing was that I had been in a six night musical only a few days before so my voice was completely nackered! The thing I can't stand is that I don't know how I did! I need to know how well to do in the exam.

Natalie
Reply 31
I had my French speaking near the start of last half-term! It was nice to get it out of the way actually, now I have nothing until my French listening, although I'm not actually on study leave for that, which is a little annoying.

What's this music terminal task? I hope it's not Edexcel!
Reply 32
bohemian
I had my French speaking near the start of last half-term! It was nice to get it out of the way actually, now I have nothing until my French listening, although I'm not actually on study leave for that, which is a little annoying.

What's this music terminal task? I hope it's not Edexcel!

I do WJEC and was assuming the terminal task was the equivalent of my "practical".

NM
Yeah i break up on the 19th too :mad: and my first exam spanish oral is on the 3rd.:eek:
Reply 34
I regret having study leave.......think ur gonna wake up nice and early and revise ur @ss off....but it just doesnt happen. For me there are too many distractions in the house.
The terminal task is an OCR thing. It's where you get given a stimuli (rhythm, note pattern or chord pattern) and make up a tune with it in 25 minutes (eek!). So no, it's not the same as the practical - although Natalie-Marie, I do have a practical ensemble on Friday (!!!!!). I've done my other two solos during the Year 10 and 11 mocks.

Grr, my German oral is on the 6th and our Spanish one on the 9th. *panic*
Reply 36
My Spanish oral is the 24th April (Monday!) argh! However, once it's over... well it's going to be a relief.
Yeah, apart from language orals which are in school timetable, all our exams are in study leave. However, we don't get any leave before that.. we finish school on friday 19th, then it's just the weekend and then exams on monday

I was really annoyed when I found that out, but I suppose they reckon we won't revise at home (which for the majority of people is so true).

My big problem is getting up earlier, if i could I would have all my exams afternoon from 1pm. In the morning I am tired and ugh... the thought of having real GCSE exams thrust in front of you at 9am... it is quite horrifying

I swear I will do better in the afternoon exams, it's completely unfair
Reply 38
Yeah, apart from language orals which are in school timetable, all our exams are in study leave. However, we don't get any leave before that.. we finish school on friday 19th, then it's just the weekend and then exams on monday

Exactly the same here. To put it plainly, IT SUCKS! I get so much more work done at home than school. Although, I suppose you have to look at it the other way. More than half of my year would either watch TV or go down town or something. :rolleyes:

NM
Reply 39
We aren't being given study leave at all this year. Teachers have said its the governments decision, but it seems everyone else is getting it so I don't understand how this is the case

Quick Reply

Latest