The Student Room Group

'Must see' places in New York

Scroll to see replies

Reply 20
Original post by matt_g96
the hood

just kidding don't do that, you would probably get shot

Such rubbish. NYC is generally very safe, and has been for ages. I know a girl who went to school above 100th, and had never had a single problem in years.

As for where to go - Bubby's Diner in TriBeCa is a good shout.
Reply 21
I hear Brooklyn bridge park offers fantastic views of Manhattan. Brooklyn heights is a cool area to explore also.
Original post by Nerd2
Always wanted to go New York.

Statue of Liberty
Empire State
Central Park
National History Museum
9/11 Tribute Centre
Grand Central
Wall Street District
Yankees Stadium
Museum of Sex
Those are just a few, tonnes of things to see, have a look at some travel blogs online to get an idea.

Also try to go to a Brooklyn Nets or New York Knicks game (NBA Basketball) really good atmosphere!

Ain't that in the middle of Harlem? I know someone who got lost trying to find it and ended up in the hood :biggrin:.

EDIT - Bronx, knew it was one of them type of places.
Go to cosi for delicious flatbread sandwiches. They use top quality ingredients and the bread tastes really good.

Even if you don't buy one, go to one of their stores - they put the left over bread in a basket to help yourself to. Delicious!
(edited 10 years ago)
Reply 24
Original post by Clip
Such rubbish. NYC is generally very safe, and has been for ages. I know a girl who went to school above 100th, and had never had a single problem in years.

As for where to go - Bubby's Diner in TriBeCa is a good shout.

a white female walking through the bronx by herself would not be a good idea :wink:
Reply 25
a white female walking through the bronx by herself would not be a good idea :wink:

You're making all this up as you go along, and you seem to have watched too much TV from the 1980s.
Reply 26
Original post by Clip
You're making all this up as you go along, and you seem to have watched too much TV from the 1980s.

Not really :frown:

Why do I have to watch TV when I can just take a drive to the Bronx? The last time I was up there was 2 summers ago and it wasn't that nice of a place
Eiffel Tower - This idiot was once lying about having been to NY and I knew that he was BSing. Anyway I asked him what he did and he said a few stupid things but that topped it.
Reply 28
Times Square is a must!
Reply 29
Original post by Clip

not all of NY is bad, but it is certainly not a place where you can just roam freely without any sense of danger, as with most places, but some areas are definitely not good for tourists
Reply 30
Not really :frown:

Why do I have to watch TV when I can just take a drive to the Bronx? The last time I was up there was 2 summers ago and it wasn't that nice of a place

I lived in Westchester. I certainly don't recall any problems for the tens of thousands of white women living in Bronx.
Greenwich Village is seconded. I say this as a straight, working class northern male who has had nowt to with the gay-rights movement, but it was pretty incredible being in the place where it all started with the Stonewall Riots!
Reply 32
Anyone got any restaurant recommendations in Times Square? :smile:

Posted from TSR Mobile
Next time I go to NYC I'm just going to mill about Brooklyn drinking in the dive bars and eating staple food in the diners.
Reply 34
Don't bother with the Statue of Liberty, tbh. Ellis Island is more interesting IMO.

Quick Reply

Latest