The Student Room Group

AQA English Literature Of Mice and Men and An Inspector Calls exam predictions

Scroll to see replies

Original post by Ella_08
I didn't see the exam paper, I just saw a discussion. I presume it was section B because it asked about Curley's Wife's death in the barn

Damn it, I did the same thing! I just thought it was death in general xD
Original post by Tiara006
Did you do the exam in 2015? If you did, what did you write about her death as I feel that was quite a hard extract?

I didn't. However, i analysed it, hope it helps

juxtaposition of impurity vs innocence when he describes Curley’s wife laying dead.
As she lies in the hay she is "pretty and simple... sweet and young". Perhaps when she is no longer in the hands of men, we see a deeper side to her character; the real person with dreams, ambitions and disappointments that are hidden beneath the layers of make-up.

Living as the only women in a male society has caused her to behave "mean" acting like a "tart" and death is the only thing that frees her.

Steinbeck uses irony by making Curley's wife seem more alive when she is dead.
Original post by ScienceFantatic
Damn it, I did the same thing! I just thought it was death in general xD

you'd have a lot to say about death in general, that's for sure! I don't know the actual questions, only the fact that it asked about Curley's Wife's death. She can't come up this year.. surely??
Original post by Ella_08
I didn't. However, i analysed it, hope it helps

juxtaposition of impurity vs innocence when he describes Curley’s wife laying dead.
As she lies in the hay she is "pretty and simple... sweet and young". Perhaps when she is no longer in the hands of men, we see a deeper side to her character; the real person with dreams, ambitions and disappointments that are hidden beneath the layers of make-up.

Living as the only women in a male society has caused her to behave "mean" acting like a "tart" and death is the only thing that frees her.

Steinbeck uses irony by making Curley's wife seem more alive when she is dead.

Thank you, these are really good interpretations!
Original post by Tiara006
Thank you, these are really good interpretations!

No problem :wink:

Quick Reply

Latest

Trending

Trending