The Student Room Group

I've failed my C1 Edexcel Maths (2016 May) Re-take?

Scroll to see replies

Reply 20
Original post by issy421
If you've failed c1 I dont recommend doing A2 maths, I go to a college where people who got U's in Core 1 were allowed to continue to A2.. they are wasting their time, as they are struggling with A2 content, what you need to realise is there's another jump from AS to A2 like there was from gcse to AS.

I resat the C1 paper on Wednesday due to it being a really easy paper and wanting to gain extra ums.

I felt the C1 paper was one of the hardest I'd seen, but nonetheless it will still be the easiest exam I sit this year. If the paper was just a hard paper, the ums will be proportional, so if youve done the work and you have the knowledge, you have nothing to worry about. You only have to worry if you didnt.

That's what I am worried about too, if this AS maths was hard, I don't want to be there for A2, but I have no choice as I want to leave college with three A-levels, not 2 A levels and one AS maths etc. Really regretting choosing Maths...but I dont want to stay another extra year,
Katie, I highly doubt you did as bad as you think - The test was very difficult I admit but I wouldn't come to a conclusion of failure
Original post by katie15999
I was lulled into false security due to the easiness of the past papers. 2016 paper was alien to me and I literally panicked and didn't read the questions properly. Well done for the A, did you carry onto A2 in the end?

I did a kind of similar thing to you last year with chemistry (I'm year 13 now). I just did all the past papers and made sure I got 90% or above in all of them, then in the real exam... I got a B!

What did I learn from that? Yes, to a certain extent, A level exams do have similarities, but you really do have to know your subject, not just be good at past papers. I felt so confident about that exam, but in the real one it just wasn't what I expected and I didn't do as well as I had hoped.

I'm resitting that exam this friday, and yeah, ngl, it is extra work, but compared to A2 it's so much easier and resitting hasn't been a HUGE detractor from my other work.
Reply 23
Original post by Kugelmugel
I did a kind of similar thing to you last year with chemistry (I'm year 13 now). I just did all the past papers and made sure I got 90% or above in all of them, then in the real exam... I got a B!

What did I learn from that? Yes, to a certain extent, A level exams do have similarities, but you really do have to know your subject, not just be good at past papers. I felt so confident about that exam, but in the real one it just wasn't what I expected and I didn't do as well as I had hoped.

I'm resitting that exam this friday, and yeah, ngl, it is extra work, but compared to A2 it's so much easier and resitting hasn't been a HUGE detractor from my other work.

Thank you for this. Yea I admit that this exam I did awful in, is in fact quite easy. That's why I feel so ashamed that I couldn't even do this. It's really put me off for A2 Maths, but I know what I've done wrong and will definitely try harder in year 2 (if I get into year two :'( ). I think I'm still stuck on GCSE's mindset.

Usually people say the mocks shock you into doing well for the real thing but I did alright in the mocks so I was not bothered too much.

Good luck for the retake :smile:
Reply 24
Original post by CrazyFool229
Katie, I highly doubt you did as bad as you think - The test was very difficult I admit but I wouldn't come to a conclusion of failure

I hope I am just overthinking it, but usually I do worse than I think ahhaha

Quick Reply

Latest