The Student Room Group

Here to give revision tips :)

Scroll to see replies

I don't wish to hijack your topic OP, but I thought this would be worth posting! :smile:

I'd recommend going through the 'Learning How to Learn' course on 'coursera' : https://www.coursera.org/learn/learning-how-to-learn
It's free, unless you want to pay £38 for a certificate...

It's says 'Starts Nov 07' but you can enroll whenever and work through it in your own time.

I went through it last year and noticed a stark improvement in my ability to retain information.
Original post by PATD123
I always feel like this around exam season! In GCSEs I was so panicky that I was going to fail that I just could not cope with it all sometimes. But just remember, that although GCSEs are really important, your mental health is much more important. These are just a small part of your life, and you should put effort into them, but just think that they'll be over soon enough and you'll have loads of available free time!
Also, just try your hardest, its all anyone can ask from you. Just try to take some time to relax during your revision - either listening to music or going for a nice walk and clear your head. I know exams can be stressful, but they'll be over before you know it and you can have a nice long summer break!

Thank you but I'm in year 12 doing my As this year.
Reply 22
Original post by student004
Thank you but I'm in year 12 doing my As this year.

Ah ok well I had a lot of melt downs in A levels! The stress is so much! But I think the same advice applies! Its not the end of the world! And if university is where you want to go, first year doesn't count so you can relax a little bit more! You're nearly at the end of education so just look at it like that! :smile:
Original post by PATD123
I think its good to revise using flash cards for chemistry - you can put formulas or methods in bright colours to help you remember? and then test yourself as well, also the cards on string is also good for short formulas that you need to test yourself on. I'm not the best person to ask in regards to Chemistry because I didn't do it at A level, but I think the best way to learn is to do lots of past papers, and mark your paper, because then you can see what sorts of things they're expecting you to write in your answers, and it helps you improve your writing. I did biology with AQA, and I remember that they were really picky with the way you phrase your answer, so I think doing lots of past papers will really help you! But just remember to keep refreshing yourself on the information you revise, just to make sure you don't forget it!
Also, maybe see if there are any revision classes because these are really useful!
Really these sorts of techniques like flash cards, and doing past papers can be applied to any A level - hope this helps!

Thank you so so much!:h:
Original post by PATD123
Ah ok well I had a lot of melt downs in A levels! The stress is so much! But I think the same advice applies! Its not the end of the world! And if university is where you want to go, first year doesn't count so you can relax a little bit more! You're nearly at the end of education so just look at it like that! :smile:

Yeah at least a levels are only 2 years!:biggrin:
Hi, I'm studying the new History GCSE, do you possibly have any study/revision/general tips?Thank you so much.
Reply 26
Original post by MariamsRevision
Hi, I'm studying the new History GCSE, do you possibly have any study/revision/general tips?Thank you so much.

I'm not really sure what the exam structure for the new GCSE history is, but I have a few revision and essay writing tips. Make sure you go over everything you need to. When I studied history at GCSE I wrote out the whole textbook - but I'm not sure if this was a waste of time. The best thing to do is make flash cards in bright colours for each topic, and do big colourful mind maps - because when youre trying to remember something in the exam, the colours help you think back. Also, the revision idea I said earlier to someone else about putting small pieces of card on a string is really useful for history, because you can put eg. When was the Treaty of Versailles? on one side, and then on the other write the answer - 28th June 1919. So this is really helpful with learning dates or where things took place, or who was involved. It helps you test yourself.

In the exam, try to plan your essay question for a few minutes before you begin writing because this makes sure you don't waffle and go off track - you have to keep to the question and provided clear evidence and be analytical!
Don't forget to write some essays under timed conditions to help you get a feel of what the exam will be like!

Hope this has helped!
Original post by PATD123
I'm not really sure what the exam structure for the new GCSE history is, but I have a few revision and essay writing tips. Make sure you go over everything you need to. When I studied history at GCSE I wrote out the whole textbook - but I'm not sure if this was a waste of time. The best thing to do is make flash cards in bright colours for each topic, and do big colourful mind maps - because when youre trying to remember something in the exam, the colours help you think back. Also, the revision idea I said earlier to someone else about putting small pieces of card on a string is really useful for history, because you can put eg. When was the Treaty of Versailles? on one side, and then on the other write the answer - 28th June 1919. So this is really helpful with learning dates or where things took place, or who was involved. It helps you test yourself.

In the exam, try to plan your essay question for a few minutes before you begin writing because this makes sure you don't waffle and go off track - you have to keep to the question and provided clear evidence and be analytical!
Don't forget to write some essays under timed conditions to help you get a feel of what the exam will be like!

Hope this has helped!

Thank you for your reply, it has helped me a lot and given me some ideas. I've been making detailed notes and mindmaps as I've been going along which my teacher had advised since the beginning. For my other subjects, I generally prefer to make really clear and concise bullet-point notes, mindmaps and flashcards so I have been trying to apply them to history too.

I'm really bad at planning essays though, I hardly ever do which is really bad so I'm trying to get into the habit of planning it first etc so I have a logical structure throughout my response without rambling or getting side-tracked.
Do you have any tips for Spanish? Specifically remembering coursework??
Reply 29
Original post by mini.me
Do you have any tips for Spanish? Specifically remembering coursework??

I studied French, and what I always used to do to remember was write out repeatedly one sentence at a time, and then after maybe 5 times, try and write it without looking, and then repeat. And also, say one sentence at a time outloud a few times, then repeat it outloud without looking at it and then see if you got it right. Also, get others to test you on what you know as its really useful
Original post by PATD123
I studied French, and what I always used to do to remember was write out repeatedly one sentence at a time, and then after maybe 5 times, try and write it without looking, and then repeat. And also, say one sentence at a time outloud a few times, then repeat it outloud without looking at it and then see if you got it right. Also, get others to test you on what you know as its really useful

oh ok thank you i shall try it i really need tips for spanish specifically to get at least an A or A* so if you have any plz help!!
Original post by geek567
hi, i was wondering when you revise how do you actually remember it for the long term. i struugle to know what i had revised on few days ago and i am panicking that this will happen during the exam.

Apologies, I know that this isn't my thread, but I used to have this issue. Studying is all about repetition. If you test yourself and review what you have learnt daily, you will remember it. If there is anything that you do not remember, then put a lot of focus on that.

The trick is this:
1) Review the revision straight after you have done it, by testing yourself etc.
2) Test yourself an hour after the revision.
3) Test yourself a day later.
4) Test yourself three days later.
5) Test yourself a week later.

If you stick to the method which I have outlined, then that has been scientifically proven to help people remember content easily.
Original post by PATD123
I am now at university, but I know revising for exams at GCSE can be stressful, especially as its probably your first experience with timed examinations, so if anyone needs any advice on revising I'll try and answer the questions :smile:

in geography my teacher says im really clever in my classes and i do very well but when it comes to exams i get really low marks and my teacher always says that my exam results dont correspond to my class work and i am much smarter then what i get on my exams but i really want to get a good mark for once! any advice? -thanks

Quick Reply

Latest