The Student Room Group

Scroll to see replies

Reply 20
Bagration

I agree with the factual latter part of your statement, I was reffering to "Well firstly the whole class system isnt important anymore" which is WHY I CUT THE REST OUT OF THE QUOTE.

but it really isn't. do you see people saying, 'ooh darling, dont marry him, he's lower middle class, hmm, we cant have that, ooh no!'...its nowhere near as important as it used to be! this is because of changing attitudes in society, and, as previously mentioned...social mobility. do you study sociology?
Reply 21
Perhaps the working class, i.e. in a global sense, was exported along with manufacturing?
Reply 22
persian.royalty
Where are you getting this from? Im not challenging you or anything, I'm genuinely interested :biggrin:

It's just my very generalised and extremely subjective impression. Middle class people (of whom I am almost certainly one) seem to have identity worries in a way the other two just don't. Everyone wants to move up in life, but working class are far more dedicated because they get the short end, and upper class don't need to because if they got any higher they'd be on the moon.
Not that some aristos aren't already, of course.

Caught between the two extremes, middle class people suffer confusion. I also believe they're more likely to become liberals as a result. When was the last time you met a Tory who wasn't either a Sun-reader or land-owner?

Apologies for extreme opinionation - see the first line :P
brightxburns
I always thought of teaching as pretty solidly middle-class! What about lecturers and professors?

Depends. Headteachers usually end up being "more" (if you'd like to quantify it) middle class than teachers, in the same vein as lecturers and professors.

Nehustan
Perhaps the working class, i.e. in a global sense, was exported along with manufacturing?

I used to think that until I went to College.

persian.royalty
but it really isn't. do you see people saying, 'ooh darling, dont marry him, he's lower middle class, hmm, we cant have that, ooh no!'

Hah... maybe not in your part of the country!

persian.royalty
...its nowhere near as important as it used to be!

Yes, and it used to be VERY VERY important. It still is, just due to a lesser degree.

persian.royalty
this is because of changing attitudes in society, and, as previously mentioned...social mobility.

Social Mobility =! Economic Mobility

persian.royalty
do you study sociology?

AS or GCSE level? No. You in no way need to study sociology to understand class.
brightxburns
I always thought of teaching as pretty solidly middle-class! What about lecturers and professors?

It is.

The terms 'lower' and 'upper' middle class are usually used by people who are ashamed of being privileged, as if it's a bad thing to be so.
Reply 25
i think you can differenciate between public-school teachers and state teachers. i mean i think most of my teachers were public-school educated themselves and attended top universities, oxbridge (some been twice/to both), have PHDs etc play cricket with us, and the high sheriff of kent taught me english. whereas im guessing that most state-school teachers are quite different.

and brightxburns - going to oxbridge wont change your class imo.
Reply 26
Bagration
I used to think that until I went to College.

LOL...but relatively...lol....if I said 'Why can't they be quiet in the computer room while I'm working?' would it ring any bells?
Reply 27
persian.royalty
Well firstly the whole class system isnt important anymore, social mobility is very common nowadays [basically, moving up from your parents station!]..but if you dont mind me asking, what do your parents do?

I don't mind... my stepdad is a window fitter (stereotype: football fan, shouts "go on my son!" at the TV etc) and my mum is a teacher, she's into art, linguistics, etc.
Afro Samurai
It is.

The terms 'lower' and 'upper' middle class are usually used by people who are ashamed of being privileged, as if it's a bad thing to be so.

...Not in my experience. At all.

Nehustan
LOL...but relatively...lol....if I said 'Why can't they be quiet in the computer room while I'm working?' would it ring any bells?

Yes :P

But yeah, I see your point and it is valid and true, but there is still a large working class in this country. The loss of manufacturing just made them do other things.
Reply 29
alenax
...my stepdad is a window fitter (stereotype: football fan, shouts "go on my son!" at the TV etc) and my mum is a teacher, she's into art, linguistics, etc.

In my youth I went to a public school, and let me tell you, beer and football has that response with many more people beyond just window fitters :wink:
Reply 30
White.
British - rather than english if that makes sense.
Some sort of monopoly on an obscure piece of irrelevant knowledge
I'd say "replacement" rather than "loss" of manufacturing!
I think some teachers are upper middle class (or at least middle, middle class). I bet the ones who work it Eton get paid a hell of a lot, and will be better educated than the average teacher.

Anyway, I think class is a lifestyle really, which results from their income to a large extent.
The middle class family wants 2.4 kids, a nice house, afford anual holidays etc...
Working class does not really have the money for this, so they live in smaller (sometimes rented or council owned), often don't recieve higher education... etc.

I am not really educated on the subject though :s-smilie:
There is no scientific way to define a person into a class, so it is a term to be used loosley.
Reply 33
Nehustan
In my youth I went to a public school, and let me tell you, beer and football has that response with many more people beyond just window fitters :wink:

There were window fitters at your school? That's some good careers service! :p:

I haven't heard anyone else shout that though, apart from builders/mechanics etc. Maybe the class dependancy is a regional thing? Or just became a kinda niche quote.
stolenstars
I think some teachers are upper middle class (or at least middle, middle class). I bet the ones who work it Eton get paid a hell of a lot, and will be better educated than the average teacher.

Anyway, I think class is a lifestyle really, which results from their income to a large extent.
The middle class family wants 2.4 kids, a nice house, afford anual holidays etc...
Working class does not really have the money for this, so they live in smaller (sometimes rented or council owned), often don't recieve higher education... etc.

I am not really educated on the subject though :s-smilie:
There is no scientific way to define a person into a class, so it is a term to be used loosley.

Fairly accurate.
Reply 35
MEIMEI

Don't knock the masons :P
MEIMEI
White.
British - rather than english if that makes sense.

I don't think it is fair to say you need to be white to be middle-class. I suppose the majority IS, but that is to a large extent because the country is mainly white.

It is understandable that a large proportion of working class is not white, because immigrants move to the country with very little and have to create a life for themselves and their families.

Many non white people who have lived in the country a considerable time succeed financially and do well for themselves.
Who cares about being working class, middle class or high class. You're either rich or poor, well-connected or not, and bums or hard-working.
Reply 38
persian.royalty
Well firstly the whole class system isnt important anymore

Totally agree. In my experiance of social and professional situations it has zero importance whatsoever. Class has no impact on how/if I would do business with someone, it also has no impact on how I would talk to or mix with people socially. When you meet someone you would never interrogate them about their parents education/job background and their earnings, so how can you ever judge class?

There are so many exceptions to all the 'rules' these days. I know of bankers renting small apartments taking the train to work and builder living in multimillion £ mansions driving Ferraris. Class is simply a way for people who feel inadequate in their social position to make themselves feel more self important. (imho, of course)
Reply 39
alenax
There were window fitters at your school? That's some good careers service! :p:

I haven't heard anyone else shout that though, apart from builders/mechanics etc. Maybe the class dependancy is a regional thing? Or just became a kinda niche quote.

Most of the people I went to school, and most of whom I know from other similar schools, with would shout similar about their footy team post goal (or 'good' foul :P ). Admittedly they may also at a Rugby match too. Perhaps it’s an affectation to keep them in touch with some distant working class mythology :wink:

Latest

Trending

Trending