The Student Room Group

What do you think would happen if everyone sat the same paper for Maths and Science?

As in there were no foundation or higher tiers and all papers were graded 1-9. Do you think that's fair?
I imagine there would be far more people failing, not to mention being completely demoralised by the process....
Reply 2
Original post by artful_lounger
I imagine there would be far more people failing, not to mention being completely demoralised by the process....

But foundation tier and lower ability students get grades 1-5 with 4 and 5 being the only pass grades and you have to get most marks so in that sense passing foundation is harder, and in higher there are more pass grades and less marks to get a grade 4 and people of higher ability can get the grade 9. If lower and higher ability people did one paper they can get the grade they want and not be restricted (for lower ability students) and some people thinking sitting higher is easier as you get less marks to pass even though to gain marks it's harder so it's unfair
Original post by Anony345533
But foundation tier and lower ability students get grades 1-5 with 4 and 5 being the only pass grades and you have to get most marks so in that sense passing foundation is harder, and in higher there are more pass grades and less marks to get a grade 4 and people of higher ability can get the grade 9. If lower and higher ability people did one paper they can get the grade they want and not be restricted (for lower ability students) and some people thinking sitting higher is easier as you get less marks to pass even though to gain marks it's harder so it's unfair

Yes but the questions are different in each tier, and more questions set towards the lower grade boundaries making it more accessible to students who don't do as well in those subjects so they are less likely to fail altogether. For the higher tier there are many more questions set towards higher grades (6/7/8/9 standard) which those students would simply be unable to cope with, and as there would be fewer questions set at the lower boundaries, they would be less likely to succeed overall in even getting a pass.
Reply 4
Yes but the questions are different in each tier, and more questions set towards the lower grade boundaries making it more accessible to students who don't do as well in those subjects so they are less likely to fail altogether. For the higher tier there are many more questions set towards higher grades (6/7/8/9 standard) which those students would simply be unable to cope with, and as there would be fewer questions set at the lower boundaries, they would be less likely to succeed overall in even getting a pass.

So if you and your class in set 2 were getting grade 4/5s (which is quite low for set 2), or if you were getting grades 4 and 5 in general what paper would you expect your teacher to enter you for? Higher or foundation?

Grade 3, 4 and 5 overlap on both foundation and higher tier papers but I see what you mean by 6,7,8,9 should only be available on higher tier
So if you and your class in set 2 were getting grade 4/5s (which is quite low for set 2), or if you were getting grades 4 and 5 in general what paper would you expect your teacher to enter you for? Higher or foundation?

Grade 3, 4 and 5 overlap on both foundation and higher tier papers but I see what you mean by 6,7,8,9 should only be available on higher tier

I would probably expect someone averaging grade 4/5s who the teacher felt wasn't likely to achieve a 6 to end up doing the foundation tier. This was what would've happened for me, way back when I did my GCSEs, when I was doing Spanish and really not doing that great to start with. I only got swapped to higher tier very late in year 11 because my teacher felt I had made significant improvements in that time (and ended up getting a B in the end). I think if she wasn't very confident in my ability to get a B she would've let me stay at foundation tier.

Also I'm not talking about grades being available on each paper - I mean questions targeted at students achieving those grades. As that is how they write the exam papers - they set the questions at different levels and have very hard questions to e.g. differentiate between 7 and 8/9 grade students, as well as others at the other levels on a higher paper. On a lower paper there are fewer levels to differentiate between so the overall range of the difficulty is much constrained so in general one would expect even weaker students to find the majority of the paper at least something they could attempt.
Reply 6
I would probably expect someone averaging grade 4/5s who the teacher felt wasn't likely to achieve a 6 to end up doing the foundation tier. This was what would've happened for me, way back when I did my GCSEs, when I was doing Spanish and really not doing that great to start with. I only got swapped to higher tier very late in year 11 because my teacher felt I had made significant improvements in that time (and ended up getting a B in the end). I think if she wasn't very confident in my ability to get a B she would've let me stay at foundation tier.

Also I'm not talking about grades being available on each paper - I mean questions targeted at students achieving those grades. As that is how they write the exam papers - they set the questions at different levels and have very hard questions to e.g. differentiate between 7 and 8/9 grade students, as well as others at the other levels on a higher paper. On a lower paper there are fewer levels to differentiate between so the overall range of the difficulty is much constrained so in general one would expect even weaker students to find the majority of the paper at least something they could attempt.

Yeah what I mean is grade 3,4 and 5 exam questions overlap on both foundation and higher tier.

My class in set 2 didn't achieve more than a 5 on higher as well but we covered higher tier content so we were all entered for higher. There were only 8 of us by end of year 11 with the school making a set 6 in the last month of school and moving students down sets so most people failed the higher mock so they went into set 3 and sat foundation.

I was always good with the harder stuff and wouldn't be able to do bearings in maths which is like grade 3 but would be able to do grade 9, and I even did AS Level maths and coped fine. I did foundation for a mock in year 10 as did the rest of my class and we all got 3s, those getting 2s went down and those who got 4s and 5s went up, I did higher for mocks in year 11 and got 4 and 5s and was able to do the hard stuff in class and if I had revised more, would have got a better grade than a grade 5 in the end, I had so much more to give. I was still happy I was able to do some hard stuff and at least up to grade 5 in the exam though. I sat the old GCSE for a mock and got 1 mark off 50% which could be just under an A. Even then I was always top of the class or near top with class tests and mock exams.
(edited 11 months ago)

Agreed.

Foundation Tier students have to study less content for the course, and although they have to achieve more marks to get a 4 or 5, there are no questions designed to challenge the 7-9 students that they won't be able to answer. If the questions were of the same difficulty, then the theory that it is harder would be correct, but that isn't the case. Therefore, if you have a good knowledge of the content, it is easier to pass on FT than it is to pass on HT.

It also means that because there aren't any questions that are impossible to answer, you are more confident in the exam and come out with a better idea of how well you did. For example, in languages, you won't end up crying halfway through the listening from the difficulty (and end up missing more questions) because the foundation exams are more accessible, so instead of hoping for a 4 on Higher Tier and getting a 3, you can secure a 5 and move on with your life.

In maths and science, there may be a few 'foundation' topics that you might not fully understand, but that doesn't make you a foundation-level student. However, if you're averaging a 4 or 5 on HT and it seems like you won't improve, having the option to secure the 5 instead of failing on a bad day is much better for the majority of the students on that boundary.
Reply 8
Original post by SagaciousSag
Agreed.

Foundation Tier students have to study less content for the course, and although they have to achieve more marks to get a 4 or 5, there are no questions designed to challenge the 7-9 students that they won't be able to answer. If the questions were of the same difficulty, then the theory that it is harder would be correct, but that isn't the case. Therefore, if you have a good knowledge of the content, it is easier to pass on FT than it is to pass on HT.

It also means that because there aren't any questions that are impossible to answer, you are more confident in the exam and come out with a better idea of how well you did. For example, in languages, you won't end up crying halfway through the listening from the difficulty (and end up missing more questions) because the foundation exams are more accessible, so instead of hoping for a 4 on Higher Tier and getting a 3, you can secure a 5 and move on with your life.

In maths and science, there may be a few 'foundation' topics that you might not fully understand, but that doesn't make you a foundation-level student. However, if you're averaging a 4 or 5 on HT and it seems like you won't improve, having the option to secure the 5 instead of failing on a bad day is much better for the majority of the students on that boundary.

So what you are saying is it's better sitting the foundation paper if you won't improve from the 5? What if your whole class is the second top set (set 2) and obviously covering higher tier content so we are all good at higher tier stuff and not foundation tier, clearly higher is right for us? And people would say if you are passing higher and you aren't improving from the 5 (in my school if you do you are in set 1) why not give yourself a chance to see if you can get a 6 rather than limit yourself to a 5? At least you are passing and not getting 3s or even complete fails, but that then means finding the rest of the paper hard and not being able to do it
(edited 11 months ago)
Reply 9
Agreed.

I failed a foundation mock with grade 3 and passed higher with 4s and 5s because I am a backwards person
(edited 11 months ago)
So what you are saying is it's better sitting the foundation paper if you won't improve from the 5? What if your whole class is the second top set (set 2) and obviously covering higher tier content so we are all good at higher tier stuff and not foundation tier, clearly higher is right for us? And people would say if you are passing higher and you aren't improving from the 5 (in my school if you do you are in set 1) why not give yourself a chance to see if you can get a 6 rather than limit yourself to a 5?

I think that tiers should be decided on an individual basis when students are in the middle sets, because different students have different abilities and teachers should know their students well enough by the time it needs to be decided. People in Set 2 especially shouldn't all be on FT if there are more than 3 sets.

If you were given an FT test and barely got a 5, but then did a HT test and got an 8, it is evident that there are only a few weak points that you have relating to FT content and that you belong on HT. However, if you do a HT test and get a weak 5, even if you've already learnt some of the content, it may be better to move to FT depending on your progress and improvement throughout the year.
I failed a foundation mock with grade 3 and passed higher with 4s and 5s because I am a backwards person

In your case, HT was a more suitable fit because of what you were confident with and what you weren't. As stated, people are different, so it should be at the teacher's discretion to decide which tier is best for each student. Despite HT being better for you, it is generally worse for people who achieve the same grades by the middle of Year 11, which is why FT should exist.
Reply 12
In your case, HT was a more suitable fit because of what you were confident with and what you weren't. As stated, people are different, so it should be at the teacher's discretion to decide which tier is best for each student. Despite HT being better for you, it is generally worse for people who achieve the same grades by the middle of Year 11, which is why FT should exist.

Foundation tier should definitely exist for the lower ability students.

One could also argue that if there was such a thing as a middle set so these students are in between higher and foundation (there were intermediate tiers before), sitting higher tier may be best because you can really mess up the exam and as long as you complete little parts of it and it's enough to pass you can still secure the 5. I know people screaming and I could even say some papers for maths were not great and I had a really bad day on higher, but still managed to get at least a 4 in that paper (as we are graded on papers as well and these marks are calculated up to make our final grade) and as a whole, but people may completely fail as well and not manage to even get marks on the paper so I see what you mean. With foundation, you can also do that though, the questions are easier but you will need to have a good day in the exam and score high marks to get the 5. At the same time, the questions are easier, easier to gain marks and I know what you mean by you can have a bad day in the exam and you would be safe and you will at least get yourself a grade.

Quick Reply

Latest