The Student Room Group

Edexcel - Chemistry Unit 2 - 4 June 2013

Scroll to see replies

Reply 420
hi guys, Im actually findin this sooo hardd... :'(

Especially long experiment qustions like in the june 2010 paper section B q19
These are supposed to be simple i think but i just end up guessing what I have to do which obv aint good :frown:
Got bio on mon chem on tue and physics on wed. Im screwed!
Reply 421
Original post by Goods
I do AQA must be different boards

Posted from TSR Mobile

ohh okay :smile:
Reply 422
so guys what books do u use ?? how many ?
Reply 423
Original post by Gnome :)
It's either on the page before this one, or the one before that. It would take 2 mins to find it. I worry for you if this is the attitude you take towards your revision.

Posted from TSR Mobile

sure...
I use one book that I don't really care for (edexcel textbook for AS chem) and the rest is notes, chemguide and papers :smile:
hey guys I need some help.

Please can someone explain the difference between:

Permanent dipole-permanent dipole
Instantaneous dipole-induced dipole
Induced dipole-induced dipole
instantaneous dipole -instantaneous dipole.

Ive seen these terms thrown around a lot in different contexts and am very confused. Thanks.

ooh also, what happens to reactivity down group 2 and 7 and why? (If that makes sense)
Original post by felicity95
hey guys I need some help.

Please can someone explain the difference between:

Permanent dipole-permanent dipole
Instantaneous dipole-induced dipole
Induced dipole-induced dipole
instantaneous dipole -instantaneous dipole.

Ive seen these terms thrown around a lot in different contexts and am very confused. Thanks.

ooh also, what happens to reactivity down group 2 and 7 and why? (If that makes sense)

right...a little confusing but here's what I know:
London dispersion forces create instantaneous dipoles which induce dipoles in neighboring atoms/molecules. Permanent dipoles are molecules which are polar. I suppose the way you've linked them together suggests how they're bonded together?
Original post by Locked_box
right...a little confusing but here's what I know:
London dispersion forces create instantaneous dipoles which induce dipoles in neighboring atoms/molecules. Permanent dipoles are molecules which are polar. I suppose the way you've linked them together suggests how they're bonded together?

hummm I understand what youre saying about the permanent dipoles in molecules which are polar, but what are London dispersion forces. Do all molecules contain London dispersion forces?
Reply 428
Do we need to know all the stats and case studies in the green chemistry chapter? Theres tons of 'BS' in it..

Posted from TSR Mobile
Ok just read in the edexcel blue book that the boiling temperature of HCl is greater than that of HBr or HI due to greater dipole-dipole interactions, yet on the graph HCl has a bpt of -90 whilst HBr has a bpt of -70 and Hi of -40. Surely the bpts of HBr and HI are higher, because as you go from HCl to HI the size of the electron cloud increases and hence the van der waals forces increase. is it a mistake in the book?
Original post by Jayqwe
Do we need to know all the stats and case studies in the green chemistry chapter? Theres tons of 'BS' in it..

Posted from TSR Mobile

No not specifics, the textbook often elaborates far too much. Just need some examples why biofuels might be better than fossil fuels, disadvantages of biofuels, the whole ozone thing (the O3 free radial reaction you need to know) and how CFCs along with NOs destroy ozone...the section C is usually a green chemistry related question but they will give you specific information.
Reply 431
Question: are london forces or permanent dipole-dipole interactions stronger?
Reply 432
Original post by samsimmons
Question: are london forces or permanent dipole-dipole interactions stronger?

I asked my chemistry teacher the same thing, she said you can't really compare those two because the strength of london forces are greatly variable. Large atoms/molecules --> stronger london forces. whereas dipole-dipole interactions are not that variable...basically it depends on the size of the molecules held together by London forces
Reply 433
What is the proper definition of a greenhouse gas? Is it a gas that absorbs IR radiation or a gas that traps ir radiation in the earths' atmosphere?
Reply 434
Hey guys, can anyone explain to me what is and how to work out electrical conductivity of titration mixtures? :s please

Posted from TSR Mobile
Reply 435
Original post by Jayqwe
What is the proper definition of a greenhouse gas? Is it a gas that absorbs IR radiation or a gas that traps ir radiation in the earths' atmosphere?

I would say its a gas that absorbs IR radiation, and so the IR radition is said to be 'trapped' in the Earths atmosphere (as these gases are found in the atmosphere) ...

Posted from TSR Mobile
(edited 10 years ago)
Reply 436
Original post by Kurraiyo
I asked my chemistry teacher the same thing, she said you can't really compare those two because the strength of london forces are greatly variable. Large atoms/molecules --> stronger london forces. whereas dipole-dipole interactions are not that variable...basically it depends on the size of the molecules held together by London forces

Thank you :smile:
Reply 437
Original post by Londrinna
I would say its a gas that absorbs IR radiation, and so the IR radition is said to be 'trapped' in the Earths atmosphere...

Posted from TSR Mobile

in one of the papers it has come up I thinkkk u have to say a gas that traps ir radiation in the atmosphere AND reflects it back onto the earth
Original post by senz72
Just the whole halogenoalkane mechanism business?

Posted from TSR Mobile

So, specifically, how nucleophiles attack halogenoalkanes?

Original post by Khurc003
hi guys, Im actually findin this sooo hardd... :'(

Especially long experiment qustions like in the june 2010 paper section B q19
These are supposed to be simple i think but i just end up guessing what I have to do which obv aint good :frown:
Got bio on mon chem on tue and physics on wed. Im screwed!

What bits? Keep on swimming. :biggrin:

Original post by Mimi85
so guys what books do u use ?? how many ?

The George Facer book with the Jim Clarke calculations one on the side.

Original post by Londrinna
Hey guys, can anyone explain to me what is and how to work out electrical conductivity of titration mixtures? :s please

Posted from TSR Mobile

I don't think you need to know the Ecell stuff, that is Unit 5 in A2. You are just expected to have a basic understanding of electrical conductivity - so, when lots of ions are floating about, the conductivity will likely increase.
(edited 10 years ago)
Reply 439
Original post by Priya08
in one of the papers it has come up I thinkkk u have to say a gas that traps ir radiation in the atmosphere AND reflects it back onto the earth

Humm oh ok

Posted from TSR Mobile

Quick Reply

Latest

Trending

Trending