Turn on thread page Beta

Edexcel - Chemistry Unit 2 - 4 June 2013 watch

• View Poll Results: Which topic(s) are you finding most difficult?
    Shapes of molecules and ions
    11.59%
    Intermediate bonding and bond polarity
    15.85%
    Intermolecular forces
    9.76%
    Redox
    18.29%
    Group 2 & 7
    40.85%
    Kinetics & Equilibria
    14.02%
    Organic Chemistry - Alcohols and Halogenoalkanes
    39.02%
    Mechanisms
    26.22%
    Green Chemistry
    28.66%

ReputationRep:
    Hey guys

Well I couldn't find a thread for this, so thought I would make one

Specification: http://www.edexcel.com/migrationdocu...4%20250510.pdf

Past papers: http://www.edexcel.com/quals/gce/gce...s/default.aspx

If anyone has any good online resources for this unit in particular, please do share ! As I haven't come across any myself

Please ask as many questions as you can in this thread !
    Pretty much question the existence of the discipline if you have to

Good luck !

ReputationRep:
    Heyy, thanks for making this thread. ? I also want a chem site that i can get tips from... Im so lost in organic and my teacher is going too fast. ? So can i plz have a summry of orgNIC? ? THANKS

Posted from TSR Mobile

ReputationRep:
    (Original post by Mimi85)
    Heyy, thanks for making this thread. ? I also want a chem site that i can get tips from... Im so lost in organic and my teacher is going too fast. ? So can i plz have a summry of orgNIC? ? THANKS

Posted from TSR Mobile
    You can't go wrong with chemguide.co.uk
    If you need a brief summary of organic reactions then I will post it as soon as I find one, or I'll make one myself soon ! I haven't started preparing for this unit in all honesty

Is there anything in particular you are having trouble with in organic chemistry?

If there's anything specifically you are stuck with, you can always just post your questions here

ReputationRep:
    Doing this one again!

ReputationRep:
    (Original post by senz72)
    Doing this one again!
    Don't worry about it, it could come in handy for unit 5 synopsis

& a lot of it is in the syllabus anyway....

its just green chemistry, group 1,2 & 7 that we need to go over

ReputationRep:
    Well im stuck with the reactions and mechanisms, it would be amazing if i got a summary thanks. Do u think unit two is harder or easier than 1..

Posted from TSR Mobile

ReputationRep:
    Well im stuck with the reactions and mechanisms, it would be amazing if i got a summary thanks. Do u think unit two is harder or easier than 1..

Posted from TSR Mobile
    I don't want to worry you, but I did find the jump from Unit 1 to Unit 2... bigger than the jump from GCSE to unit 1.

The mechanisms take a while to get used to, but its what students generally find easiest in the exams what book are you using? Have you got the george facer book.... & I find that CGP is generally good at showing & explaining mechanisms

ReputationRep:
    (Original post by posthumus)
    Don't worry about it, it could come in handy for unit 5 synopsis

& a lot of it is in the syllabus anyway....

its just green chemistry, group 1,2 & 7 that we need to go over
    Really? Well that may come in handy.

I think I'm going to struggle again though!

ReputationRep:
    Really? Well that may come in handy.

I think I'm going to struggle again though!
    I got a U in January lol

You will be fine though
    Unit 5 & unit 2 go well together in my opinion.

Do you have the george facer book for AS ?

ReputationRep:
    I got a U in January lol

You will be fine though
    Unit 5 & unit 2 go well together in my opinion.

Do you have the george facer book for AS ?
    No, I've only got A2. I might find someone to borrow it off from!

Be careful because they only take the better out of two!

ReputationRep:
    No, I've only got A2. I might find someone to borrow it off from!

Be careful because they only take the better out of two!
    Yup make sure you do ! & just read through the 4 chapters I mentioned. CGP revision guide is great too !

I'm sitting this unit for the third time... does the best grade still count?

ReputationRep:
    Yup make sure you do ! & just read through the 4 chapters I mentioned. CGP revision guide is great too !

I'm sitting this unit for the third time... does the best grade still count?
    Alright, I'll try.

I've got this crash course thing tomorrow and it requests me to revise Unit 2 (though I thought it would render it pointless then).
    So I have to spend all of tomorrow morning going skimming through the syllabus.

Also I heard you get to keep the best out of the last two attempts but I think I may be wrong and they've changed to unlimited attempts. I'd get a second opinion.

ReputationRep:
    Alright, I'll try.

I've got this crash course thing tomorrow and it requests me to revise Unit 2 (though I thought it would render it pointless then).
    So I have to spend all of tomorrow morning going skimming through the syllabus.

Also I heard you get to keep the best out of the last two attempts but I think I may be wrong and they've changed to unlimited attempts. I'd get a second opinion.
    Wow you have a crash course for it, lucky you Is it at your school ?

& thanks !! Hopefully I won't get lower than a D either way aha

ReputationRep:
    Wow you have a crash course for it, lucky you Is it at your school ?

& thanks !! Hopefully I won't get lower than a D either way aha
    No, it's tuition after I got a B last year. Parent's insisted. Though it has made chemistry much easier!

ReputationRep:
    No, it's tuition after I got a B last year. Parent's insisted. Though it has made chemistry much easier!
    Wow lucky you ! Have fun

I had tuition for Chemistry at the beginning of AS last year !

It was just a woman coming over to read me the CGP revision guide lol

ReputationRep:
    Wow lucky you ! Have fun

I had tuition for Chemistry at the beginning of AS last year !

It was just a woman coming over to read me the CGP revision guide lol
    It's kinda what they do at my crash course.

ReputationRep:
    It's kinda what they do at my crash course.
    Oh right lol Well as long as you find it useful !

I didn't find it very useful, because she literally just sat down opened up the CGP revision guide and read it for me (not very well) ... found it far too expensive for what I was getting

ReputationRep:
    Yeah i do have the facer book and the chem red guide, im too lazy to study from facer cuz it gives extra info plus im soo busy with m1 and c2 that it takes up all my time... I have mocks in exactly 1 week, and i didnt start witg chem, im not done with math either ughh this is so much, on top of that failed phy unit
    1 so im repeating it!!!! Back to chem, hopfully ill start with george facER soon. dont knw when but soon, whats the key to studying organic..? And can u plz post the syllabus for unit 2...thanks
    Posted from TSR Mobile

ReputationRep:
    Yeah i do have the facer book and the chem red guide, im too lazy to study from facer cuz it gives extra info plus im soo busy with m1 and c2 that it takes up all my time... I have mocks in exactly 1 week, and i didnt start witg chem, im not done with math either ughh this is so much, on top of that failed phy unit
    1 so im repeating it!!!! Back to chem, hopfully ill start with george facER soon. dont knw when but soon, whats the key to studying organic..? And can u plz post the syllabus for unit 2...thanks
    Posted from TSR Mobile
    The George Facer book is exceptionally good I recommend you read through the whole book (well for this unit anyway), then you can move onto revision guides ! I believe the key is to read through it, then do mechanisms and stuff on scrap paper while you go through books... just keep repeating stuff if you have to ! you get used to the organic chemistry then.

I posted the spec in the first post if that's what your looking for http://www.edexcel.com/migrationdocu...4%20250510.pdf

ReputationRep:
    Hi guys =), any revision notes?

Submit reply
Turn on thread page Beta
Updated: April 29, 2014
Poll
Do you think parents should charge rent?

The Student Room, Get Revising and Marked by Teachers are trading names of The Student Room Group Ltd.

Register Number: 04666380 (England and Wales), VAT No. 806 8067 22 Registered Office: International House, Queens Road, Brighton, BN1 3XE

Write a reply...
Hide
Reputation gems: You get these gems as you gain rep from other members for making good contributions and giving helpful advice.