Hey there! Sign in to join this conversationNew here? Join for free

ReputationRep:
    (Original post by lauramcintosh88)
    Me! I think we were at the same interview on Wednesday? How did you think it went? Have you heard anything yet?
    I've got my interview next week. I just wanted to know if the presentations were in groups or in front of everyone? How did yours go?

Posted from TSR Mobile

ReputationRep:
    (Original post by Fabay)
    I've got my interview next week. I just wanted to know if the presentations were in groups or in front of everyone? How did yours go?

Posted from TSR Mobile
    Sorry I must be getting you confused with somebody else! I did mine in a group of 8, it was very laid back though. Although I do remember someone posting a while back saying he did his with a group of three so it could be anywhere in between!

ReputationRep:
    (Original post by Airfairy)
    That is pretty bad communication and I wouldn't be impressed either. It must be annoying. I hope your other two interviews go well though! Good luck
    Thank you I've had much better communication with the other two and feel reasonably well prepared, just a bit nervous my presentation is a bit short...

It is pretty annoying that i'm unsuccessful for this reason but I guess it motivates me for the other interviews I can attend!

Posted from TSR Mobile

ReputationRep:
    Offer from Institute of Education for secondary maths!

ReputationRep:
    (Original post by tmanz212)
    Has anyone had group discussion/tasks at their interview? What sort of questions do they ask? - is it like asking you to discuss educational issues or talk about what qualities teachers should have or questions on the new curriculum?!?.

I'm not sure how to prepare for it!
    I have done group tasks at Primary PGCE interviews and found them quite fun. As long as you are not too quiet or too controlling in them you should be fine. If you have an interest in becoming a teacher you should have an interest in the tasks and have an opinion on them.

ReputationRep:
    Yeah I have, I hated it! It will be things like qualities of a teacher or even discussing how you can use an object in the classroom. It varies, but I can't say too much because we aren't supposed to talk about specific interview tasks annoyingly. I don't think it will be educational issues though, that's probably more in the one to one. Don't take my work for that!
    Am I strange for quite liking them?! We had a good discussion and I found it fun

ReputationRep:
    Hi guys,

So I want to accept an offer.

Do I withdraw from the other 2 first and then it will give me an accept button for my 1st choice?

Or does it not work like that?

Any help would be appreciated x

Posted from TSR Mobile

ReputationRep:
    (Original post by womanonamission)
    Hi guys,

Do I withdraw from the other 2 first and then it will give me an accept button for my 1st choice?

Posted from TSR Mobile
    I have just withdrawn from my other two options but can't figure out how to accept st Mary's? X

Posted from TSR Mobile

ReputationRep:
    Hi guys,

Posted from TSR Mobile
    I'm pretty sure that's how it works ! Good luck

ReputationRep:
    (Original post by Alice_R23)
    I have just withdrawn from my other two options but can't figure out how to accept st Mary's? X

Posted from TSR Mobile
    Oh really! Has an accept button not popped up anywhere in the St Mary's section? X

Posted from TSR Mobile

ReputationRep:
    Hi I have an interview at kings this Thursday for secondary pgce in science:biology...has anyone had a interview for this yet? And non specifically when they say they are going to test you on scientific knowledge how am I meant to prepare for that? And what kind of questions do they ask in a teaching interview apart from your standard "why do you want to become a teacher" question?
    thank you in advance!

ReputationRep:
    (Original post by hippygirl)
    Hey I had my interview for art today, we would have been in the same room for the writing and stuff probs! How did you feel it went? I thought the talk at the beginning was quite funny but thought it was a bit strange telling us the questions before we had them! And what did you think of the writing bit? Sorry all the questions ever! I feel really excited / scared for the response because I feel like ny interview went well but i think my brain fell out when I was writing!

Posted from TSR Mobile
    I thought it went decent, only 5 people today (including myself) going for PGDE Business Education and I was the only guy haha! The question was fairly decent but I genuinely thought I was one of the first to finish however, the 5 others at my table seemed to write for ages/loads.

Kenny is an absolute legend, top banter from him today but I did find it strange (but helpful) to be told the questions in advance.

I'm feeling quite good about today to be perfectly honest, when I went to do my 1 on 1 interview with the program leader he told me that he taught my old Business Studies on the course so the first five minutes were basically spent talking about her. I was also told that at the end I had scored excellently with both the group discussion and the interview so fingers all crossed I get into one of the twelve spots available!

How about yourself, feeling confident? How many people were in for Art?

Now it's the nerve wracking bit of waiting for the dreaded "Your UCAS page has updated" email...

ReputationRep:
    Hmm. I went for a PGCE course interview on Wednesday, and they said that they'd send their decision to UCAS the next day - but by today (Friday) at the latest. They said it would definitely come through UCAS track and not through email, and they said to contact UCAS and not them if it doesn't appear. However, my track for that uni hasn't been updated; in fact, it is still blank (it doesn't even say 'interview').

Do you guys think phoning UCAS tomorrow would do any good? I really want to rid myself of this horrible anxiety in waiting for the decision.

ReputationRep:
    (Original post by Grant23)
    I thought it went decent, only 5 people today (including myself) going for PGDE Business Education and I was the only guy haha! The question was fairly decent but I genuinely thought I was one of the first to finish however, the 5 others at my table seemed to write for ages/loads.

Kenny is an absolute legend, top banter from him today but I did find it strange (but helpful) to be told the questions in advance.

I'm feeling quite good about today to be perfectly honest, when I went to do my 1 on 1 interview with the program leader he told me that he taught my old Business Studies on the course so the first five minutes were basically spent talking about her. I was also told that at the end I had scored excellently with both the group discussion and the interview so fingers all crossed I get into one of the twelve spots available!

How about yourself, feeling confident? How many people were in for Art?

Now it's the nerve wracking bit of waiting for the dreaded "Your UCAS page has updated" email...
    I was at the table nearest at the door and there was a boy that seemed to finish in a flash maybe this was you? There were 4 girls inc me and one boy in my group. Tbh I feel good about it but I know what you mean I hate being sick in this kind of middle ground where it's not 100% certain. I thought it was a bit odd that we were told the questions but my interviewer veered off quite a bit because she said they were as stimulating as a bowl of porridge ☺ she told me she was impressed with my portfolio and my responses at the individual interview and said at the group bit that we were a strong group so I guess it could go either way!

I was alright with the question but really would have preferred any of the other ones I think I would have had a better and more direct response for them. When do you expect you will hear back? My interviewer said she has one lot of applicants to go through so I'm hoping it's soon! I was even checking my emails on the way home haha
    Posted from TSR Mobile

ReputationRep:
    (Original post by hippygirl)
    I was at the table nearest at the door and there was a boy that seemed to finish in a flash maybe this was you? There were 4 girls inc me and one boy in my group. Tbh I feel good about it but I know what you mean I hate being sick in this kind of middle ground where it's not 100% certain. I thought it was a bit odd that we were told the questions but my interviewer veered off quite a bit because she said they were as stimulating as a bowl of porridge ☺ she told me she was impressed with my portfolio and my responses at the individual interview and said at the group bit that we were a strong group so I guess it could go either way!

I was alright with the question but really would have preferred any of the other ones I think I would have had a better and more direct response for them. When do you expect you will hear back? My interviewer said she has one lot of applicants to go through so I'm hoping it's soon! I was even checking my emails on the way home haha
    Posted from TSR Mobile
    I wrote around the 300 word mark but the question was effectively asking us to predict the future... literally.

Were you the girl in the zebra patterned trousers by any chance? I was in the table just behind you, I was beside the art guy you mentioned.

My guy told me I should know roughly within a week(ish), the last set of interviews are on Wednesday and then he can make a decision. 51 applied for Business, 21 got through to the interview stage today and 12 get in so fingers crossed!

ReputationRep:
    Had an interview at the University of Manchester today, anyone who is going, don't worry, the day is really relaxed. The University people are lovely, and if your day is like mine, then you'll meet some very nice people.

Was anyone else there today?

ReputationRep:
    (Original post by Nicola_1990)
    Sorry if this has already been asked (228 pages is a lot to read through :P) But I have an interview for Secondary English School Direct next week. It involves a student panel interview as well as a staff one - a terrifying thought...does anyone have what kind of questions either the students or the staff might ask? I'm think the generic 'Why do you want to teach?' etc but want to try and be more prepared
    I had a student panel for my job as a teaching assistant. They can ask anything from why do you want to teach in our school- to give three words that describe you best. I would suggest that you be prepared for anything. As for staff they may ask generic questions but they may also tailor it to your application

ReputationRep:
    Oh really! Has an accept button not popped up anywhere in the St Mary's section? X

Posted from TSR Mobile
    Done it

Posted from TSR Mobile

ReputationRep:
    Yeah I have, I hated it! It will be things like qualities of a teacher or even discussing how you can use an object in the classroom. It varies, but I can't say too much because we aren't supposed to talk about specific interview tasks annoyingly. I don't think it will be educational issues though, that's probably more in the one to one. Don't take my work for that!
    How did you find your discussion? I'm worried I'll struggle to find something to say.

How did you prepare? Sorry for the way! It's my first interview next week - gaaaah!

ReputationRep:
    (Original post by tmanz212)
    How did you find your discussion? I'm worried I'll struggle to find something to say.

How did you prepare? Sorry for the way! It's my first interview next week - gaaaah!
    I hated the group discussion in my interview too, felt very alien to me. You want to speak up to let those observing you know that you have an informed opinion, but you also need to let other people speak and contribute to the discussion too. It's a balancing act for sure. Make sure you do pipe up and contribute something though, you won't get any points for sitting quietly and letting the others chat away. Good luck!

Poll
Do you agree with the PM's proposal to cut tuition fees for some courses?

The Student Room, Get Revising and Marked by Teachers are trading names of The Student Room Group Ltd.

Register Number: 04666380 (England and Wales), VAT No. 806 8067 22 Registered Office: International House, Queens Road, Brighton, BN1 3XE

Write a reply...
Hide
Reputation gems: You get these gems as you gain rep from other members for making good contributions and giving helpful advice.