The Student Room Group

Scroll to see replies

Reply 4560
Hi I have an interview at kings this Thursday for secondary pgce in science:biology...has anyone had a interview for this yet? And non specifically when they say they are going to test you on scientific knowledge how am I meant to prepare for that? And what kind of questions do they ask in a teaching interview apart from your standard "why do you want to become a teacher" question?
thank you in advance!
Reply 4561
Original post by hippygirl
Hey I had my interview for art today, we would have been in the same room for the writing and stuff probs! How did you feel it went? I thought the talk at the beginning was quite funny :smile: but thought it was a bit strange telling us the questions before we had them! And what did you think of the writing bit? Sorry all the questions ever! I feel really excited / scared for the response because I feel like ny interview went well but i think my brain fell out when I was writing!

Posted from TSR Mobile

I thought it went decent, only 5 people today (including myself) going for PGDE Business Education and I was the only guy haha! The question was fairly decent but I genuinely thought I was one of the first to finish however, the 5 others at my table seemed to write for ages/loads.

Kenny is an absolute legend, top banter from him today but I did find it strange (but helpful) to be told the questions in advance.

I'm feeling quite good about today to be perfectly honest, when I went to do my 1 on 1 interview with the program leader he told me that he taught my old Business Studies on the course so the first five minutes were basically spent talking about her. I was also told that at the end I had scored excellently with both the group discussion and the interview so fingers all crossed I get into one of the twelve spots available!

How about yourself, feeling confident? How many people were in for Art?

Now it's the nerve wracking bit of waiting for the dreaded "Your UCAS page has updated" email...
Hmm. I went for a PGCE course interview on Wednesday, and they said that they'd send their decision to UCAS the next day - but by today (Friday) at the latest. They said it would definitely come through UCAS track and not through email, and they said to contact UCAS and not them if it doesn't appear. However, my track for that uni hasn't been updated; in fact, it is still blank (it doesn't even say 'interview').

Do you guys think phoning UCAS tomorrow would do any good? I really want to rid myself of this horrible anxiety in waiting for the decision.
Original post by Grant23
I thought it went decent, only 5 people today (including myself) going for PGDE Business Education and I was the only guy haha! The question was fairly decent but I genuinely thought I was one of the first to finish however, the 5 others at my table seemed to write for ages/loads.

Kenny is an absolute legend, top banter from him today but I did find it strange (but helpful) to be told the questions in advance.

I'm feeling quite good about today to be perfectly honest, when I went to do my 1 on 1 interview with the program leader he told me that he taught my old Business Studies on the course so the first five minutes were basically spent talking about her. I was also told that at the end I had scored excellently with both the group discussion and the interview so fingers all crossed I get into one of the twelve spots available!

How about yourself, feeling confident? How many people were in for Art?

Now it's the nerve wracking bit of waiting for the dreaded "Your UCAS page has updated" email...

I was at the table nearest at the door and there was a boy that seemed to finish in a flash maybe this was you? There were 4 girls inc me and one boy in my group. Tbh I feel good about it but I know what you mean I hate being sick in this kind of middle ground where it's not 100% certain. I thought it was a bit odd that we were told the questions but my interviewer veered off quite a bit because she said they were as stimulating as a bowl of porridge she told me she was impressed with my portfolio and my responses at the individual interview and said at the group bit that we were a strong group so I guess it could go either way!

I was alright with the question but really would have preferred any of the other ones I think I would have had a better and more direct response for them. When do you expect you will hear back? My interviewer said she has one lot of applicants to go through so I'm hoping it's soon! I was even checking my emails on the way home haha
Posted from TSR Mobile
Reply 4564
Original post by hippygirl
I was at the table nearest at the door and there was a boy that seemed to finish in a flash maybe this was you? There were 4 girls inc me and one boy in my group. Tbh I feel good about it but I know what you mean I hate being sick in this kind of middle ground where it's not 100% certain. I thought it was a bit odd that we were told the questions but my interviewer veered off quite a bit because she said they were as stimulating as a bowl of porridge she told me she was impressed with my portfolio and my responses at the individual interview and said at the group bit that we were a strong group so I guess it could go either way!

I was alright with the question but really would have preferred any of the other ones I think I would have had a better and more direct response for them. When do you expect you will hear back? My interviewer said she has one lot of applicants to go through so I'm hoping it's soon! I was even checking my emails on the way home haha
Posted from TSR Mobile

I wrote around the 300 word mark but the question was effectively asking us to predict the future... literally.

Were you the girl in the zebra patterned trousers by any chance? I was in the table just behind you, I was beside the art guy you mentioned.

My guy told me I should know roughly within a week(ish), the last set of interviews are on Wednesday and then he can make a decision. 51 applied for Business, 21 got through to the interview stage today and 12 get in so fingers crossed!
Had an interview at the University of Manchester today, anyone who is going, don't worry, the day is really relaxed. The University people are lovely, and if your day is like mine, then you'll meet some very nice people.

Was anyone else there today?
Original post by Nicola_1990
Sorry if this has already been asked (228 pages is a lot to read through :P) But I have an interview for Secondary English School Direct next week. It involves a student panel interview as well as a staff one - a terrifying thought...does anyone have what kind of questions either the students or the staff might ask? I'm think the generic 'Why do you want to teach?' etc but want to try and be more prepared :smile:

I had a student panel for my job as a teaching assistant. They can ask anything from why do you want to teach in our school- to give three words that describe you best. I would suggest that you be prepared for anything. As for staff they may ask generic questions but they may also tailor it to your application
Original post by womanonamission
Oh really! Has an accept button not popped up anywhere in the St Mary's section? X

Posted from TSR Mobile

Done it :smile:

Posted from TSR Mobile
Reply 4568
Original post by Airfairy
Yeah I have, I hated it! It will be things like qualities of a teacher or even discussing how you can use an object in the classroom. It varies, but I can't say too much because we aren't supposed to talk about specific interview tasks annoyingly. I don't think it will be educational issues though, that's probably more in the one to one. Don't take my work for that!

How did you find your discussion? I'm worried I'll struggle to find something to say.

How did you prepare? Sorry for the way! It's my first interview next week - gaaaah!
Original post by tmanz212
How did you find your discussion? I'm worried I'll struggle to find something to say.

How did you prepare? Sorry for the way! It's my first interview next week - gaaaah!

I hated the group discussion in my interview too, felt very alien to me. You want to speak up to let those observing you know that you have an informed opinion, but you also need to let other people speak and contribute to the discussion too. It's a balancing act for sure. Make sure you do pipe up and contribute something though, you won't get any points for sitting quietly and letting the others chat away. Good luck!

Ohhhh exciting! What button appeared on your St Mary's section? Did it say accept or reply or? x
Original post by tmanz212

Well I echo what bellylaugh said. It's awkward because you need to make sure you say something yet at the same time you don't want interrupt or appear desperate. There was a girl in my group who wouldn't stop talking and I personally think it looked annoying and desperate. Yet I didn't really say much... I really wanted to but I didn't get any chance because everyone kept pitching in first. It's hard,and I really didn't like the environment. I don't like competition and it just felt so dog eat dog, y'know?

I didn't really prepare for the group interview because I didn't know what to expect, and even afterwards I don't think there was anything to prepare for.

Good luck. It is nerve wracking and I have another group interview next week so really not looking forward to that. Some people prefer group ones but I much prefer one to one.

I've done mine too! Ahhhh!

Have you still got to do your skills tests or done them? X

Posted from TSR Mobile
Hi all!

Just wondering if anyone has had an interview at Fairfield's teaching school in Northampton? I have an interview there on Monday and just wondered what the interview process was like and if anyone had received an offer yet?

Thanks!
Reply 4574
Original post by alabelle
Is the Sunderland interview for Primary?

Yep!

Posted from TSR Mobile
Reply 4575
Anyone recieved an offer from Brunel?
Reply 4576
Has anyone any tips for the interviews in St Mary's? I would really appreciate it
Reply 4577
Hi guys,

anyone got an interview for Cumbria on the 21st of January? It's an all day thing, so nervous!
Original post by sekeena
Hi guys,

anyone got an interview for Cumbria on the 21st of January? It's an all day thing, so nervous!

I had one there on Wednesday. I know the fact it's an all day thing sounds intimidating, but if yours is anything like mine you'll only start your proper interview at 1. I'm assuming yours is primary. Mine was secondary and the staff are lovely. I really liked the uni. I hope it goes well!

Posted from TSR Mobile
I had my first interview yesterday, I think it went ok!

I found the critical writing task difficult, not that I can't write critically because I do that at university all the time but the question was along the lines of 'what is the role of the teacher in allowing children to reach their full potential' but the article seemed strange with that question.

Only time will tell (up to 2 weeks!)

Latest

Trending

Trending