The Student Room Group
Learning at Imperial College London
Imperial College London
London

imperial material science engineering advice

Hello for anyone interested in imperial college London material science and engineering course. I’m just gonna post any information out to help someone else out in the future. 2024 application cycle had 833 applications, 380 interviews and will give 250 offers (ish the admission officer said It but the numbers I might’ve written it slightly wrong). The applicant day consists of an 1-1 interview, lunch (it wasn’t that good), a tour with student ambassadors, and a 45 min group task. The 1-1 interview rlly ranges by your interviewer, mine personally I got grilled on technical stuff that had applications on maths and chem, stuff that was like hypothetical and tested how I thought. I got nothing on my personal statement- I doubt he even read it. Others got chill interviewers who pretty much asked ‘pick a section from your personal statement and we’ll discuss about it.’ Really depends but general advice is prep ur basic maths and chem knowledge and any material u mentioned memorize information about it. As for the group task it was fine in my opinion just do decent amount on ur task and ask the people in ur group questions on their material- no one’s going to be there to catch u out.
Icl I was expecting a rejection, I absolutely messed up on some of the questions the interviewer asked but im pretty sure they look at ur application holistically and make a judgement from there. Good luck. xx

kinda messy sorry im just typing whatever comes to my head

if u dont take physics/chem they wont ask u any questions abt it, if they do some applicants just said they didnt take that subject instead of looking like an idiot guessing it

i got asked if i had a question for the interviewer- prep one or if a question comes up from ur discussion at the interviewer ask them that

my chem and maths were pretty generic, nothing like calculating moments or anything obscure

if u did an epq on a specific material, u can mention it in ur convo and they could discuss it further with you. some applicants said their interviewer went rlly in depth on the material they mentioned so be prepped on that

(edited 2 months ago)
hi! thanks for the info this is v helpful but could i ask where you got those stats from? i tried searching online and couldn’t find them anywhere
Learning at Imperial College London
Imperial College London
London
Reply 2
Original post by mathsphysicschem
hi! thanks for the info this is v helpful but could i ask where you got those stats from? i tried searching online and couldn’t find them anywhere
we were told that at the end of the applicant day x
ahh ok thanks - but according to your numbers the applicant to offer ratio is 833:250 which is 30% success rate but on their website it says 20%?

have you heard back from them yet?
Reply 4
yeah they were the figures i got told, i got an offer 6 days after the interview
congrats!! 6 days is quick usually they take around 2 weeks don’t they
congrats!! 6 days is quick usually they take around 2 weeks don’t they
Like to ask which area that you think that helped you to nail the offer? Is it 1-1 interview or the group task? I think I did terrible for the 1-1 but the group task was ok.
personally both the group task and 1-1 didn’t go amazingly, i’d say average
so honestly can’t tell, in the group task i felt like i didn’t say much and my answers to questions weren’t that great
for the 1-1 it went well but only because i was asked some really easy and general questions so afterwards i thought it went badly cuz i didn’t have a chance to showcase any knowledge, and it felt like my interviewer was really uninterested and unengaged
it kind of felt like they already decided i was getting an offer so they couldn’t even be bothered to interview me properly…
so the interview day wasn’t really a great experience for me, i went home thinking i was going to get rejected but surprisingly ended up getting an offer
maybe it was my personal statement that did it, but i have no idea
Original post by dizzy_plop
Hello for anyone interested in imperial college London material science and engineering course. I’m just gonna post any information out to help someone else out in the future. 2024 application cycle had 833 applications, 380 interviews and will give 250 offers (ish the admission officer said It but the numbers I might’ve written it slightly wrong). The applicant day consists of an 1-1 interview, lunch (it wasn’t that good), a tour with student ambassadors, and a 45 min group task. The 1-1 interview rlly ranges by your interviewer, mine personally I got grilled on technical stuff that had applications on maths and chem, stuff that was like hypothetical and tested how I thought. I got nothing on my personal statement- I doubt he even read it. Others got chill interviewers who pretty much asked ‘pick a section from your personal statement and we’ll discuss about it.’ Really depends but general advice is prep ur basic maths and chem knowledge and any material u mentioned memorize information about it. As for the group task it was fine in my opinion just do decent amount on ur task and ask the people in ur group questions on their material- no one’s going to be there to catch u out.
Icl I was expecting a rejection, I absolutely messed up on some of the questions the interviewer asked but im pretty sure they look at ur application holistically and make a judgement from there. Good luck. xx
kinda messy sorry im just typing whatever comes to my head

if u dont take physics/chem they wont ask u any questions abt it, if they do some applicants just said they didnt take that subject instead of looking like an idiot guessing it

i got asked if i had a question for the interviewer- prep one or if a question comes up from ur discussion at the interviewer ask them that

my chem and maths were pretty generic, nothing like calculating moments or anything obscure

if u did an epq on a specific material, u can mention it in ur convo and they could discuss it further with you. some applicants said their interviewer went rlly in depth on the material they mentioned so be prepped on that

also i have a question if they give out 250 offers how come the intake is only around 100? surely not 150 people reject the offer?
Reply 9
also i have a question if they give out 250 offers how come the intake is only around 100? surely not 150 people reject the offer?
a few people i talked to put matsci as their backup/other choice for other degrees like general and mech eng... another girl was already set on Manchester unconditional offer so idrk what she was going there.
Reply 10
Original post by jackson0303
Like to ask which area that you think that helped you to nail the offer? Is it 1-1 interview or the group task? I think I did terrible for the 1-1 but the group task was ok.
For me the 1-1 was kinda bad... i did answer every question but very confused for most of it bc my interviewer made me think veryy hard. what made me deep life was when I said MgO had a covalent bond ...
I mean they did seem very enthusiastic in my interview and it lasted 40-45 mins 😦
i think my group task defo carried me tho that went pretty well

Quick Reply

Latest

Trending

Trending