The Student Room Group

Scroll to see replies

Lawz-
That actually proves the double standard quite well.

If someone talks of black culture thats fine

If soemone talks of white culture, suddenly they must be a racist.

Look at history, look at how the British aimed to build a huge empire, conquering nations, forcing ethnic minorities to assimilate into their own white society. Look at slavery. Look at the slaughter of Australian aborigines by settlers. For hundreds of years, whites have seeked to conquer the world without any regard for native peoples. White culture has been a culture of male-dominated conquest, look at how our society has functioned for hundreds of years. It is only in very recent history things have begun to change, that is why its definition remains. And to be honest, how have we changed? Look at Iraq, Afghanistan, Vietnam, Cuba; white man is power-mad.

History is why people associate "white culture" with racism and white supremacy and "black culture" with freedom and artistic expression. Do you wish to ignore history?
Reply 461
Lawz-
And once again you prove the point. The unjustified association of "white culture" automatically with racists, and supremacists.

Well I'd just like to qualify, I don't think 'white' culture has to be exclusive to supremacy. But does the hypothetical outcry and double standards really exist if these are the connotations we attach to each term? It's not really a double standard but a social expectation and conditioning around the use of the terms.

I think there are perfectly understandable reasons why a 'white' society at University would be irrelevant. But our theoretical discussions have been done to death now. Realistically, it's understandable why there would be opposition to a 'white' society considering how we use these phrases colloquially.
Lawz-
"belgian culture" gives 3880. Much less than white culture.

Is "Belgian culture" meaningless now?

You created the "Google argument", why don't you tell us what that result means?
Reply 463
wacabac
Look at history, look at how the British aimed to build a huge empire, conquering nations, forcing ethnic minorities to assimilate into their own white society.

Except that they were quite happy to rule over whites too. It wasnt about racism as much as it was about power. If the British could have ruled over France, they would have. In fact, at times, they did.

wacabac
Look at slavery.

You mean something that happened for thousands of years, until WHITES were the first to make it illegal? You mean the thing that goes on still today in parts of Africa?

How is that relevant to white culture?

wacabac
Look at the slaughter of Australian aborigines by settlers. For hundreds of years, whites have seeked to conquer the world without any regard for native peoples.

And many other people's have tried it too... the whites were just more successful.

wacabac
White culture has been a culture of male-dominated conquest,

:rolleyes: And NOW we get to the real point. WHat a racist thing to say... white culture is all about conquest... jesus... what about Da Vinci's paintings? Carmen? La Boheme? Metallica? ALl this about slavery and conquest?

wacabac
look at how our society has functioned for hundreds of years. It is only in very recent history things have begun to change, that is why its definition remains.

yes - Indeed - slavery, conquest, attoricities somethign carried out by peoples of every colour for many many years. Dont even BEGIN to paint it as the province of whites.

wacabac
And to be honest, how have we changed? Look at Iraq, Afghanistan, Vietnam, Cuba; white man is power-mad.

:rolleyes: What utter ****ing bull****. Racist racist racist...

"White people are power mad"... Lord knows you couldnt say that about blacks and get away with it.

Remind me - where are the most dictatorial regimes in the world?

Remind me - how many ethnically cleansed by Africans in the last few years? 5 Million? Maybe more?
Reply 464
Laika
It's not really a double standard but a social expectation and conditioning around the use of the terms.

Its both.
Reply 465
wacabac
You created the "Google argument", why don't you tell us what that result means?

Easy. over 300,000 hits shows that far from being meaningless, it is used almost 100 times MORE than belgian culture, which I think we can all agree has meaning.

THus either:

a) White culture has meaning

or

b) There is no correlation between use and meaning.
wacabac
Sorry, couldn't seem to find a single reference to "white culture" or "black culture", rendering your point entirely useless.

The point is that was a black culture society.

You witter on about supremacists etc.

There you had an argument, there you saw your supremacists.

Does it negate black socieites?
Lawz, are you Black? What race are you?
Reply 468
wacabac
Lawz, are you Black? What race are you?

Why is that relevant?
Laika
Take a look at those examples.

Which ones?

Have you read all 301,000?

That is not the first connotation which springs to mind is it?

It sprung to my mind didn't it?

Unlike the BNP or KKK with 'white culture'.

Sprung to your mind, but not to mine.

Once again you're being overly pedantic rather than realistic.

Once again you are mistaking a flawed opinion of your own for relevent facts.

I am merely proving that point.

I believe the answers above show my point is realistic, so what's your problem?

I think you confuse your opinion and reality far to often.
Lawz-
Why is that relevant?

So I can try to understand which perspective you are coming from. I stress my asking is in no way to seek to attack you for your race.
wacabac
Look at history, look at how the British aimed to build a huge empire

But you just told us this was about American white supremacy, now it's British imperialism?

You sure are flexible.

History is why people associate "white culture" with racism and white supremacy and "black culture" with freedom and artistic expression. Do you wish to ignore history?

So Beethoven was a racist, and the "Death Angels" were artistic?

Who is ignoring history?
Reply 472
wacabac
So I can try to understand which perspective you are coming from. I stress my asking is in no way to seek to attack you for your race.

I dont believe that my race has anything to do with my perspective. I try to be objective about it.

Anyway... I am white, I have non-white family, I grew up in an non-white environment, my fiancee is not white, and many of my friends are not white. I am a guy with a decent amount of experience of many cultures and races...

Hope that helps.
Paul Bedford
It sprung to my mind didn't it?

Do you consider yourself to be racist at all? Someone mentions "black culture" which is mainly used to talk about black music or black art or other aspects of black culture yet you first think of Black racists? And before you equate this argument with "white culture", this is because the term has almost exclusively been used in the context of white supremacy.
So, Lawz, does your argument for a white society being socially acceptable come from your own frustration of finding yourself a minority? Do you seek the company of other white people at all?
Reply 475
wacabac
Do you consider yourself to be racist at all? Someone mentions "black culture" which is mainly used to talk about black music or black art or other aspects of black culture yet you first think of Black racists? And before you equate this argument with "white culture", this is because the term has almost exclusively been used in the context of white supremacy.

This could apply to you in the reverse quite easily.
Paul Bedford
So Beethoven was a racist, and the "Death Angels" were artistic?

Who is ignoring history?

No that isn't what I'm saying at all. Would like to construct an argument for once rather than just sitting back and criticising constantly without presenting anything of your own?
Lawz-
This could apply to you in the reverse quite easily.

How so, when "white culture" is a term most commonly used in the context of white supremacy?
Reply 478
wacabac
So, Lawz, does your argument for a white society being socially acceptable come from your own frustration of finding yourself a minority?

COnsidering I wounldt join it, and considering I have no frustration, despite suffering some racism in my life, and violence because of my skin colour, no. I look on people as people. Not as black or white people.

wacabac
Do you seek the company of other white people at all?

Given that my children will be of mixed race, and parts of my family are not white, and many of my friends are not white. No. I think it is pretty clear I dont.

However, that is not the point. Some people may choose to, and not just becasue they are a minority... they may enjoy the CULTURAL aspects of it.
Reply 479
wacabac
How so, when "white culture" is a term most commonly used in the context of white supremacy?

It need not be.

Latest

Trending

Trending