The Student Room Group

Graduate Entry Medicine: 2016 Entry

Scroll to see replies

Reply 4980
Original post by Sullenrise6897
Ha I've been thinking about posting for hep all day. I've started but I'm also so confused. Are we meant to apply for full tuition fee's, then they'll tell us we only get £5,675 or do we apply for a reduced amount to start with? None of my courses will come up either. I might call SF for some clarification...

i think thats similar to the issue i have, do we say we are entitled to grants/bursaries? also what do we actually do about the NHS bursary, do we apply? i feel so disorganised haha
Reply 4981
as in do we say yes we are eligible to apply for a bursary or no we are not? I don't really know, my last message wasnt very clear
Original post by kj0511
i think thats similar to the issue i have, do we say we are entitled to grants/bursaries? also what do we actually do about the NHS bursary, do we apply? i feel so disorganised haha

You don't apply until you're in the first year at uni. You get a bursary from second year onwards.

Ha I've been thinking about posting for hep all day. I've started but I'm also so confused. Are we meant to apply for full tuition fee's, then they'll tell us we only get £5,675 or do we apply for a reduced amount to start with? None of my courses will come up either. I might call SF for some clarification...

Original post by neuronerd
I started, but none of my unis are recognised!

Check thoroughly through the list. Some unis have more than one entry because they'll have the medical school listed separately (or some annoying variance like that). It took me ages to find the right course at Leicester when I first did mine.
I don't get a list. A search for liverpool, birmingham or oxford brings up the city polytechs but not the red bricks. Totally baffled. I've tried every search term I can think of and nada (except I can get swansea but there is no medicine course, just medical genetics!)

Original post by ForestCat
You don't apply until you're in the first year at uni. You get a bursary from second year onwards.

Check thoroughly through the list. Some unis have more than one entry because they'll have the medical school listed separately (or some annoying variance like that). It took me ages to find the right course at Leicester when I first did mine.
I don't get a list. A search for liverpool, birmingham or oxford brings up the city polytechs but not the red bricks. Totally baffled. I've tried every search term I can think of and nada (except I can get swansea but there is no medicine course, just medical genetics!)

Hmm, maybe its changed. Or maybe I'm getting confused with the bursary menu. Sorry :s-smilie:

I take it you've tried writing out the whole " University of Liverpool"?

SFE has only just opened so maybe its a bug they need to work out.
Yep, and bizarrely that got me to swansea. So i figured stuff it, its my of my choices I can change it later, only to find medicine is not a valid course (nor is A101).

Hopefully they fix it soon

Original post by ForestCat
I take it you've tried writing out the whole " University of Liverpool"?

SFE has only just opened so maybe its a bug they need to work out.

You apply for the full amount and they say we can fund 5.5k.

I must say my application was pretty straightforward, I was pleasantly surprised!
Thanks for all the help!
Yep, and bizarrely that got me to swansea. So i figured stuff it, its my of my choices I can change it later, only to find medicine is not a valid course (nor is A101).

Hopefully they fix it soon

Hi, congrats on the offer. I just had an interview at Swansea and was wondering how long it took for you too hear? Thank you! :smile:
Original post by 13yilde
Hi, congrats on the offer. I just had an interview at Swansea and was wondering how long it took for you too hear? Thank you! :smile:

Swansea got back to me one month after my interview last year. I had the last interview date too.

Posted from TSR Mobile
Hi Guys,

congrats on everyone's offers this year!!! :smile:

Im applying for grad medicine 2017 and im starting to get really worried- as im not sure my work experience is enough.
I just wanted to ask to everyone who applied- what sort of work experience did you have?

Thanks a lot :smile:)
Original post by Msadiq
Hi Guys,

congrats on everyone's offers this year!!! :smile:

Im applying for grad medicine 2017 and im starting to get really worried- as im not sure my work experience is enough.
I just wanted to ask to everyone who applied- what sort of work experience did you have?

Thanks a lot :smile:)

Hi

I'm currently at Nottingham doing GEM and my work experience was quite limited at the point of application. I had 1 month as a ward volunteer and had shadowed a junior doctor for 1 week. Suffice to say I did do more in the end but if you can start to get stuff together now you will have more than enough.
Thanks for your insight! Would you mind me asking some more information regarding you application? Nottingham is my first choice next year and I would love to hear from someone who has been through it! :smile:
My queries are;
•What were your previous qualifications before applying to Nottingham; (A-Level's, what was your degree etc) and also
•Was this your first cycle of medical school applications
Thank so much in advance, very nervous future applicant speaking who is wondering if she is wasting an application slot 🙈 cheers!
Original post by Mr Men
Swansea got back to me one month after my interview last year. I had the last interview date too.

Posted from TSR Mobile

Thank you so much :smile:
Original post by electrolyte21
Thanks for your insight! Would you mind me asking some more information regarding you application? Nottingham is my first choice next year and I would love to hear from someone who has been through it! :smile:
My queries are;
•What were your previous qualifications before applying to Nottingham; (A-Level's, what was your degree etc) and also
•Was this your first cycle of medical school applications
Thank so much in advance, very nervous future applicant speaking who is wondering if she is wasting an application slot 🙈 cheers!

Sure ask away!

For A levels I did Chem (A) Bio (B) Phys (B) Maths (D lol...) and general studies (B). Majority of unis don't care about your A levels anyway so I wouldn't worry about them.

My previous degree was an integrated masters in chemistry (1st)

Fortunately this was my first application cycle so I only graduated last year. I do know people who had applied 4 times though.

Have you looked into attending the open day in April for Nottingham GEM?

Posted from TSR Mobile
Original post by Mr Men
Sure ask away!

For A levels I did Chem (A) Bio (B) Phys (B) Maths (D lol...) and general studies (B). Majority of unis don't care about your A levels anyway so I wouldn't worry about them.

My previous degree was an integrated masters in chemistry (1st)

Fortunately this was my first application cycle so I only graduated last year. I do know people who had applied 4 times though.

Have you looked into attending the open day in April for Nottingham GEM?

Posted from TSR Mobile

Do you have a date for the Open day? I didn't see any dates when I had a look and I know the Derby open day is different to the main campus one. I'll definitely attend, my metaphorical eggs are all in the Nottingham basket really, it's by far the university I want!

Can I quickly ask, how did you do in the GAMSAT, and how many different forms of work experience did you end up having in the end? I have been volunteering in a hospital since 2014 (two different wards: Neurosurgery and Spinal, and outpatient Reneal Dialysis) but I wonder if quantity could play a role too, ie- 3-4 different types of volunteering such as care homes and hospices.

Thanks for any help you can provide!

Posted from TSR Mobile
Original post by Themightylaa
Do you have a date for the Open day? I didn't see any dates when I had a look and I know the Derby open day is different to the main campus one. I'll definitely attend, my metaphorical eggs are all in the Nottingham basket really, it's by far the university I want!

Can I quickly ask, how did you do in the GAMSAT, and how many different forms of work experience did you end up having in the end? I have been volunteering in a hospital since 2014 (two different wards: Neurosurgery and Spinal, and outpatient Reneal Dialysis) but I wonder if quantity could play a role too, ie- 3-4 different types of volunteering such as care homes and hospices.

Thanks for any help you can provide!

Posted from TSR Mobile

Hey, I'm not yet an offer holder, but I do have an interview for Nottingham next month. I too am completely set on studying there (already a 3rd year Biology undergrad at Nottingham, it's a great Uni!). I JUST got enough in the GAMSAT (60) to scrape an interview. In terms of your experience you sound fine! 1-2 years in a volunteering role is great - it is my understanding that they like the idea that you can commit for a long period of time, but any subsequent experience you can get will not hurt! I personally volunteered on a ward weekly for 6 months (so you have volunteered far more than me), shadowed a few doctors over 2 consecutive days and started a job as a part-time healthcare assistant last July, which I balance time for with my current degree. That got me an interview, but I have heard of others who got one with less in previous years.
Also, there is a page for the next open day here if you want to register:

https://www.nottingham.ac.uk/medicine/about/medscigem/open-day-booking-form.aspx

I'm thinking of going myself, although by that date I will know if I have a place or not...
Original post by 13yilde

Havent had an offer yet! Just sorting my student loan ( you can change the uni after applying)
Havent had an offer yet! Just sorting my student loan ( you can change the uni after applying)

Ahh okay thank you :smile:

Quick Reply

Latest

Trending

Trending