The Student Room Group

Graduate Entry Medicine: 2016 Entry

I've seen a few people lingering around the board who will be preparing and applying for GEM for 2016 entry over the next year or so :eek:

I thought I would make a thread for us... even if it is a bit early :redface:

I have narrowed all the medical schools down to six which I am eligible for, three of which are UKCAT (KCL, Newcastle & Warwick) and three of which are GAMSAT (Nottingham, St. George's and Swansea).

I'll be doing lots of work experience this year and making my extra curricular's stand out a bit more... I already have a decent amount of work experience but by the time it comes to applying that won't be relevant as I did it during AS... however I'll probably inadvertently talk about that since it's what I learned everything from...

Scary.
(edited 9 years ago)

Scroll to see replies

Reply 1
Here's my info/profile:

I'm in the third year of a Business Management degree at Sheffield University and have been working in a nursing home as a care assistant at weekends since February 2014. I am also a Samaritans volunteer and had paid work experience in an unrelated field for a year before attending university.

I've been looking at the profiles (on TSR, Reddit etc.) of a few of the people who've been rejected and it's frightening and disheartening, tbh.

Btw, I'm 23 years old and will be applying to 'any discipline' courses like the one at Newcastle (I'm aware of the UKCAT score needed)
Reply 2
HI!

Im currently a pharmacy pre-reg in hospital!
What do i need to do to increase my chances?
volunteer?

x
Reply 3
Hi guys,

I'm a 3rd year Comp Sci student at a Russell Group uni, in which I'm predicted a First. I've done a week of work experience at a local hospital, a week in a GP surgery and I've been volunteering at a local care home since September and will be doing so until graduation. Around January I'll start looking for a HCA job for next year. I've started preparing for the GAMSAT already, trying to do an hour a day and I'll start full time revision when the test is 2 months away.

I have pretty strong EC; 2 years on a University Air Squadron, flying, shooting, judo, muay thai, head cadet at school.

Original post by CasioBro

I've been looking at the profiles (on TSR, Reddit etc.) of a few of the people who've been rejected and it's frightening and disheartening, tbh.

At the end of the day, GEM is so competitive that having a great profile with loads of experience is the norm. Getting a place basically boils down to having a competitive profile, acing the entrance exam which will get you an interview, then acing the interview. Years of work experience is nice, but it is really box ticking..
Reply 4
Hi all,

I originally applied to study medicine during my AS levels in 2007 but received flat out rejections. As a result, my academics slipped and I got ABB (missing A at chemistry by 2 marks out of 600! :frown:).

Feeling completely dejected, I accepted an offer to study engineering. Throught my undergraduate degree I just couldn't get enthusiastic about my course (living with 3 medics probably wasn't the best idea) so I ended up graduating with a 2.2. However, since then I have gained a MSc with merit.

Now I'm 2 years deep into a top engineering grad scheme on very good pay but still have the feeling deep down every day that this is not where I belong.... so I've decided to ditch the job and actively persue my life long ambition of studying and working in medicine.

I'm currently getting the ball rolling with regards to work experience and making a start at GAMSAT prep.

This will be a tough ride but I'm more determined than ever before. After all, YOLO! :rolleyes:

Best of luck to all other applicants and I hope this forum will let us share the highs and lows of applying to GEM medicine!
Reply 5
Original post by LukeyJB
I've seen a few people lingering around the board who will be preparing and applying for GEM for 2016 entry over the next year or so :eek:

I thought I would make a thread for us... even if it is a bit early :redface:

I have narrowed all the medical schools down to six which I am eligible for, three of which are UKCAT (KCL, Newcastle & Warwick) and three of which are GAMSAT (Nottingham, St. George's and Swansea).

I'll be doing lots of work experience this year and making my extra curricular's stand out a bit more... I already have a decent amount of work experience but by the time it comes to applying that won't be relevant as I did it during AS... however I'll probably inadvertently talk about that since it's what I learned everything from...

Scary.

My choices are the same - though I really don't want to do the GAMSAT! Especially because I don't really want to go to either apart from Nottingham so I'm wondering how much it'll be worth to go trough the GAMSAT process for one university....

Can I ask what degree you do and what experience you have?

Glad to see someone eager around! I've been following GEM discussions for about a year!

Posted from TSR Mobile
Reply 6
Original post by tw781
My choices are the same - though I really don't want to do the GAMSAT! Especially because I don't really want to go to either apart from Nottingham so I'm wondering how much it'll be worth to go trough the GAMSAT process for one university....

Can I ask what degree you do and what experience you have?

Glad to see someone eager around! I've been following GEM discussions for about a year!

Posted from TSR Mobile

I do law, I've not got much experience yet but I will soon start working in a nursing home again and be getting some work with vulnerable adults :smile:
Is anyone doing GAMSAT in March? :smile: and has anyone done it before? Bit lost about where to start with revision!
Reply 8
Original post by CharlottexBelle
Is anyone doing GAMSAT in March? :smile: and has anyone done it before? Bit lost about where to start with revision!

Is the GAMSAT UK in March!? I assumed it would be in September as it was this year.

:s-smilie:
Reply 9
Original post by middlo
Is the GAMSAT UK in March!? I assumed it would be in September as it was this year.

:s-smilie:

I used Google and got this response from the GAMSAT site -

"The date for GAMSAT UK 2014 test was 17th September 2014. The date for GAMSAT UK 2015 will be held in September 2015. To sit GAMSAT you will need to register directly with the exam board, ACER. "
Reply 10
The Irish GAMSAT happens in March but you can choose to do it at one of their overseas centres (inc. London)
Reply 11
I'm applying (once again) for 2016 entry. I took the UKCAT last year and this year unsuccessfully, and got a low score. I'll be taking the GAMSAT this year though so I enhance my chances with some non-UKCAT unis.
Reply 12
Original post by CasioBro
I used Google and got this response from the GAMSAT site -

"The date for GAMSAT UK 2014 test was 17th September 2014. The date for GAMSAT UK 2015 will be held in September 2015. To sit GAMSAT you will need to register directly with the exam board, ACER. "

Thanks a lot. I thought it was sept. Panic over for now.

Posted from TSR Mobile
I'm 15 and Idek if this is the rightml thread.
I wanna do medicine and one of the things several doctors who are my dad's friends said you needed clinical experience,I was wondering how any sensible practitioner would let a teenager into a health practice.So how the hell does that work.sorry if my question is structured in a primitive way and if anything is unclear.
(edited 9 years ago)
Hey :smile:

I'm applying to GEM 2016 too :smile: I'm in my final year of a biomed degree right now.
Hey, I am hoping to apply for 2016 entry but I am lacking in medical experience. I am currently in the process of securing some voluntary weekend work and I am hoping to get a job with the NHS next year. I am worried that I am not going to have enough experience but I am going to work extra hard at perfecting my UKCAT technique to try and do well.
Reply 16
Original post by Shamx2020
I'm 15 and Idek if this is the rightml thread.
I wanna do medicine and one of the things several doctors who are my dad's friends said you needed clinical experience,I was wondering how any sensible practitioner would let a teenager into a health practice.So how the hell does that work.sorry if my question is structured in a primitive way and if anything is unclear.

Clinical experience is rare for medicine applicants, it's hard to come by unless you have family members who work in healthcare or your family know people who do who can set you up, so maybe it's worth asking your dad? Clinical experience is not a prerequisite but you must get some form of work experience in a healthcare-related or care work related setting (i.e. working in a nursing home/working with vulnerable adults).

Original post by ColyTom
Hey, I am hoping to apply for 2016 entry but I am lacking in medical experience. I am currently in the process of securing some voluntary weekend work and I am hoping to get a job with the NHS next year. I am worried that I am not going to have enough experience but I am going to work extra hard at perfecting my UKCAT technique to try and do well.

It's more quality over quantity, all the schools are different but the general consensus is that you have some form of work experience in a care setting for an extended period of time. I still haven't sorted mine yet as I am waiting for a DBS check and the sorts, but around a year's worth of experience at the time of applying where you can demonstrate what you have learned from said experience is enough. If you're still in your second year (like me) you'll still be doing your work experience during your third year after applying so there's plenty of time!
Original post by Owill1
Hey, I'm the same, final year of biomed. I was going to apply this year for 2015 entry, but I don't have enough experience yet and really didn't feel prepared! I've been volunteering at a local hospital for a couple of weeks, and I also have a few days shadowing consultants at the same hospital.

I'm going to do the GAMSAT next year, I think it might be a good idea to start preparation early ha! I've already got some ideas for the essays

Hey :smile:, where are you studying at the moment?

I was also going to apply for 2015 entry, but when I looked realistically at my uni timetable and the funding I decided to wait. I did the UKCAT as a practice and wrote notes for my ps so I'm a little prepared! I'm going to be doing both the UKCAT and GAMSAT. I plan to apply to Warwick, Newcastle, Soton and Swansea (providing none of them change their entry requirements!)

I have 6 months of volunteering in a hospital, about 4 weeks of GP, I volunteer for AsthmaUk, teach first aid, work with children with learning disabilities and volunteer with STEM. I'm also VP of a society that we've kind of had to resurrect after last year!

Not sure if I should be giving tips or not, but it's worthwile going and getting some healthcare ethics books out of your uni library. It'll be worth it for interview, or so I've been told.
Reply 18
As someone who is aiming for GEM and are working on applying for an undergraduate course, is there any advice you guys can give?
Original post by middlo
Hi all,

I originally applied to study medicine during my AS levels in 2007 but received flat out rejections. As a result, my academics slipped and I got ABB (missing A at chemistry by 2 marks out of 600! :frown:).

Feeling completely dejected, I accepted an offer to study engineering. Throught my undergraduate degree I just couldn't get enthusiastic about my course (living with 3 medics probably wasn't the best idea) so I ended up graduating with a 2.2. However, since then I have gained a MSc with merit.

Now I'm 2 years deep into a top engineering grad scheme on very good pay but still have the feeling deep down every day that this is not where I belong.... so I've decided to ditch the job and actively persue my life long ambition of studying and working in medicine.

I'm currently getting the ball rolling with regards to work experience and making a start at GAMSAT prep.

This will be a tough ride but I'm more determined than ever before. After all, YOLO! :rolleyes:

Best of luck to all other applicants and I hope this forum will let us share the highs and lows of applying to GEM medicine!

how old are you if you dont mind me asking

Quick Reply