Hey there! Sign in to join this conversationNew here? Join for free

ReputationRep:
    (Original post by ForestCat)
    The way funding currently stands is, yes you pay £3465 in the first year and get loans for the rest of the 9k. In years 2-4 the NHS pays that.
    This is of course, for the 4 year courses only.

Just be wary with Masters. You need to make sure they finish in time, as many GEM courses start early (early Sept) and thus the official end date of your Masters must fall before this.

And no subject is preferred. Pick what you'd want to do.
    Thank you!

ReputationRep:
    (Original post by Minion#1)
    Is there any specific masters that is prefered? I am thinking of doing Biomed, Public Health or Immunity.
    If doing an MSc be careful with the loan you go for. Some enter repayment after a year, if you are planing to immediately go back into study make sure you can keep up with repayments- bearing in mind you may not be able to work much during the degree. I know the post grad loan system might change or is changing but I think at the moment there isn't one where repayment comes out like a tax or is held off until you're earning a certain threshold, it's essentially normal loan.

Find a subject that really interests you , the academic step up from undergrad was quite a shock to my system, it's really challenging to get Merit or Distinction scores.

ReputationRep:
    (Original post by Quilverine)
    A 2:2 could really limit you in terms of where you could apply. The Masters would reopen a few doors of you did well in that.

Funding for A101: self fund 3.5k, get 5.5k in loans for years 1-4 and an NHS fee contribution of 3.5k in years 2-4. Maintenance loan varies on personal circumstances but it's up to about 8k.

Funding for A100: self fund 36k and NHS will pay the fees for year 5. You can get the same maintenance loan as with A101.

The dyslexia/dyspraxia support would be the same as at your undergrad. Extra time, disability funding etc.
    Bear in mind those funding arrangements are ONLY for those who have been living in England or Wales for 3 years or more, (not just for the purposes of education.)
    I am from Northern Ireland and am entitled to none of this. It was a massive disappointment. £9000 pa for me 😢

Posted from TSR Mobile

ReputationRep:
    Hi, I am just wondering if I can get advice from anyone currently applying! I am in my second yr of BSc Animal Behaviour, but I want to be a clinical researcher in immunology! All my modules this and next year are Disease based and my dissertation is going to be working on immunology! I have plenty of experience being a support worker and carer, and I am about to start work as a HCA! I have loads of voluntary experience working with people with learning difficulties, mental health and disadvantaged backgrounds, I have worked in Conservation, Teaching and all sorts (basically the only thing I pretty much haven't done, is tended a bar!) Although, my grades are pretty shite, I think I will end my degree with a 2:2 (a 2:1 at an absolute push!) due to issue i am facing throughout my degree / life. I am wondering what your application processes are, what your funding entitlement is and how you got round to figuring to apply as a GEM. I don't know if I have the right experience or knowledge to be a doctor (want to get to Consultant level!) as I'm also severely dyslexic and dyspraxic, which wasn't found until I was 19, so I have no idea how bad I will struggle or what help is available if I am not entitled to student finance! Currently I am contemplating doing a MSc in Biomedical Science before heading into Medicine.
    Are you an international student?

Posted from TSR Mobile

ReputationRep:
    (Original post by JDarlo91)
    Hey guys,

Just wondering if anyone could advise me. I don't have A-level/ Higher chemistry or biology for matter. I've had some offers and I'm wanting to catch up/ bring myself to a suitable level of knowledge in these areas before starting.

Could anyone advise areas and concepts of chemistry that would be beneficial to familiarise myself with before starting?
    I understand this is a very broad question, nevertheless any information would be handy.

cheers peeps.
    Hey, where are you going for your GEM course and what's your background if you don't mind me asking? Work experience etc? And how did you prepare for the UKCAT or GAMSAT etc? Thanks

ReputationRep:
    (Original post by Lisagee10)
    Bear in mind those funding arrangements are ONLY for those who have been living in England or Wales for 3 years or more, (not just for the purposes of education.)
    I am from Northern Ireland and am entitled to none of this. It was a massive disappointment. £9000 pa for me 😢

Posted from TSR Mobile
    Where did you read that you have to have lived in England for 3 years? I went to university in Scotland :/ Was born in England though!

ReputationRep:
    Are you an international student?
    Posted from TSR Mobile

Hi, I'm a UK student! Currently studying at Exeter University.

ReputationRep:
    (Original post by Quilverine)
    If doing an MSc be careful with the loan you go for. Some enter repayment after a year, if you are planing to immediately go back into study make sure you can keep up with repayments- bearing in mind you may not be able to work much during the degree. I know the post grad loan system might change or is changing but I think at the moment there isn't one where repayment comes out like a tax or is held off until you're earning a certain threshold, it's essentially normal loan.

Find a subject that really interests you , the academic step up from undergrad was quite a shock to my system, it's really challenging to get Merit or Distinction scores.
    I was thinking of the new 10k post grad loan that has just come out which works the same as student finance; no pay back til earning over 21k etc. I am really interested in immunity (my dissertation will be on it too!) as it is, so I think I'm heading in the right direction!

ReputationRep:
    (Original post by AnatomyGrad)
    Where did you read that you have to have lived in England for 3 years? I went to university in Scotland :/ Was born in England though!
    I heard it straight from the NHS bursary company and student finance England. If you were born in England and properly lived there you'll be ok.

I lived and worked in England for a year and it wasn't enough. 😢
    Living in England / Wales solely for the purposes of education doesn't count either. A bit unfair if you ask me, I've worked in the NHS for seven years and they won't even pay me a bursary for this.. 😡

Posted from TSR Mobile

ReputationRep:
    I was thinking of the new 10k post grad loan that has just come out which works the same as student finance; no pay back til earning over 21k etc. I am really interested in immunity (my dissertation will be on it too!) as it is, so I think I'm heading in the right direction!
    Where does this loan come from? Im sure I'll be availing of it at some point!

Posted from TSR Mobile

ReputationRep:

Posted from TSR Mobile
    I was given this link at uni :
    http://www.exeter.ac.uk/postgraduate...ding/pgtloans/

ReputationRep:
    (Original post by windnamer27)
    Interesting article, relevant to GEM at the end.
    https://www.politicshome.com/health-...l-registration
    Unfortunately I think it is now less of a question of 'if' and more of a 'when', since reform is likely. Personally, I can only hope the change doesn't go ahead until at the earliest 2018, so I just scrape on to the last GEM course (at least as it stands).

Fully funding the course is not even a remote option for me. Getting the initial 3.4k is challenging enough.

Posted from TSR Mobile

ReputationRep:

Posted from TSR Mobile
    https://www.gov.uk/funding-for-postgraduate-study

ReputationRep:
    The new PG loan (if it actually happens in time) is only £10k and is a one-off, one-year-only.
    You cant use it to fund an entire GEM course.

ReputationRep:
    (Original post by returnmigrant)
    The new PG loan (if it actually happens in time) is only £10k and is a one-off, one-year-only.
    Apparently the PG loan is available now, but I know it wont cover the GEM course. I am hoping to use it to get a masters before pursuing GEM

ReputationRep:
    It isnt 'available' yet - the latest estimation of when applications will be accepted is June. Far too late to get applications definitely processed by September. The result will be utter chaos.

ReputationRep:
    ooh okay... Not what they said at uni O.o thankfully I don't start applying til this time next year!

ReputationRep:
    (Original post by MJK91)
    No one knows. It's just a passing thought based on the moves this government has made, along with general trends relating to EU regulations and the GMC. There's talk about whether the FY1 year can be used to make up the difference to a 5 year undergraduate degree or not. Currently GEM courses use that year to make it up -- the going talk is that this may not be sufficient and if so, GEM courses may have to go up to 5 years.

The question then is whether funding will be granted for a fifth year. Currently it's uncertain enough that 4 years of funding will be continued.

It's difficult to call. My personal suspicion is that it will remain, at least for a few more years. Could be entirely wrong though!
    (Original post by lyra1987)
    At the moment it is all supposition. Based on potentially changing the rules so FY1 docs would be fully registered. But at the moment there are no actually plans and some opposition to that idea. So watch this space.

The Scottish First Minister mentioned to the Guardian about Scotland creating and funding new GEM courses.
    Interesting, I've been doing further reading in to the plans for Scotland and they are planning on beginning funded GEM courses within the next 5 years, conditional on you taking up jobs in Scottish hospitals upon qualification. If it means becoming a doctor I'm willing to do that - the worrying thing for me would be whether they will only be funding students from Scotland/who have been living in Scotland for a specific amount of time.

Hopefully though, the GEM courses here stay open for a few more years.

ReputationRep:
    (Original post by returnmigrant)
    From my understanding the PG loan is for post-grad courses eg masters, graduate entry medicine courses are undergraduate degrees still and qualify for the same entitlements you received from student finance during your primary degree (bar the initial 3.4/5k in the 1st year).

ReputationRep:
    Has anyone applied for student finance yet? I just tried to do it and when asked if I'm behind with repayments I clicked yes and it wouldn't let me go further... so if I haven't started repayments does that mean I'm not behind?

Poll
Do you agree with the PM's proposal to cut tuition fees for some courses?

The Student Room, Get Revising and Marked by Teachers are trading names of The Student Room Group Ltd.

Register Number: 04666380 (England and Wales), VAT No. 806 8067 22 Registered Office: International House, Queens Road, Brighton, BN1 3XE

Write a reply...
Hide
Reputation gems: You get these gems as you gain rep from other members for making good contributions and giving helpful advice.