The Student Room Group

3C and 4C Government and Politics 2016

Scroll to see replies

Anyone have an essay plan on federalism? Like even a 15marker
Original post by qwertyfat
Anyone have any good examples of signing statements? and what are their significance?

McCain had an amendment passed banning torture of suspected terrorist subjects. Bush used his signing statement to completely ignore that
What would you answer for the congress foreign policy 45 marker?
Reply 563
Original post by Beckym2
Anyone have an essay plan on federalism? Like even a 15marker

Federalism decreased:
Obamacare
Supreme court decision Obergefell vs Hodges
Obama's $787b stimulus package
Arizona vs USA, ruled Arizona's immigration policy was illegal

Federalism increased:
States can freely vote on whether they want to legalise Marijuana (colorado did)
Shelby county vs Holder, states can make their own voting procedures from now on instead of having to follow section 4b of the voting rights act
How is the constitution undemocratic?
Reply 565
is declaration of war two third or simple majority in congress
Reply 566
last time it came up was 2012! im hoping there will be a question similar to it
Original post by qwertyfat
Anyone have any good examples of signing statements? and what are their significance?

Obama's signing statement on the National Security Authorization Act in which there was $662 bn funding for defense. Obama signed against 20 parts of the legislation - for example the part of the legislation where the military can detain suspected terrorists for an undetermined amount of time.

Significance: President can interpret the legislation
- He can interpret the legislation so that it doesn't erode his power (if the legislation undermines his power)
what are the predictions
Reply 569
what was the veto overriden under Bush? medicare 2008 or food conservation 2008?
Reply 570
Original post by romaiseb
Obama's signing statement on the National Security Authorization Act in which there was $662 bn funding for defense. Obama signed against 20 parts of the legislation - for example the part of the legislation where the military can detain suspected terrorists for an undetermined amount of time.

Significance: President can interpret the legislation
- He can interpret the legislation so that it doesn't erode his power (if the legislation undermines his power)

also bring in line item veto on this being nullified by SC over Bill Clinton 1999
Original post by NOP97
what was the veto overriden under Bush? medicare 2008 or food conservation 2008?

Farmbill 2008
Kay Hagan beat Dole in votes for Senator of NCarolina, so just criticised then, I imagine :P
Original post by NOP97

2007 Water resources development bill i think
Reply 574
example of a recess appointment?

could you give obama's gun restriction as a recent executive order?
the exams in the afternoon right? just checking
Reply 576
Original post by NOP97
example of a recess appointment?

could you give obama's gun restriction as a recent executive order?

The gun one isn't even in affect (correct me if i'm wrong), better to use the DACA one. https://www.uscis.gov/immigrationaction
i thought the gun restriction executive order thing was just a threat and not actually taken place yet?
Reply 578
maybe you could say that a potential use of presidential power recently was obama's threat to create an executive order regarding the restriction of gun laws? or best to stick with one that's been done? I say this because I think examiners appreciate it when one uses recent examples, indicating they keep up with modern politics in the US...
Original post by GCSEgirl13
the exams in the afternoon right? just checking

Yeah 1:30pm

Quick Reply

Latest

Trending

Trending