The Student Room Group

Screwed up my interview. What do I do now?

Scroll to see replies

IS it a bad sign not to be interviewed more than once?

And if you are only interviewed at the one college, is it still possible that other colleges will consider you?
Oh I agree, it was simply awful. I got sent home after one interview, so I'm sure that means that they made up their mind about me in that one - yea or nay. Can't wait for the suspense to be over so that I can just know where all my cards are, as it were. Good luck to all x
Original post by Musty_Elbow
IS it a bad sign not to be interviewed more than once?

And if you are only interviewed at the one college, is it still possible that other colleges will consider you?

Trying to read into things isn't that productive and will just worry you and drive you nuts :yes:

It is possible to be considered/accepted by a college that hasn't interviewed you, yes :yes:
Reply 43
Original post by Picnic1
Yes I think I am. Maybe I think too much about things in a 'general' sense rather than one that will be most welcomed by the people who I am conversing with but the harm in wishing them well is that we aren't equally wishing well all the other candidates. And then there are the students who are actually Oxbridge material who decided not to apply - too late to encourage them I suppose. And then there's the fact that more people have Oxbridge minimum standard grades these days because exam marking has become so debased. Too late to admit equally good candidates from previous years.

Many geniuses in history, renaissance men with ground breaking ideas and a great breadth and depth of knowledge and work ethic never went to Oxbridge so it's not a relative tragedy at all if nobody else in particular does either.

I'm with Shopenhauer - it's will rather than reason that controls all action - and that includes admittance to Oxbridge.

I think you're missing the point slightly.:s-smilie:
This isn't so much about voicing concern or encouragement for someone whose merits - as you rightly pointed out - we know nothing about.* It's simply about someone showing typical panicky post-interview behaviour, and people trying to put that into perspective by telling that person that her personal perception of having messed up her interview isn't necessarily a reliable indication of how well the interview actually went.

As far as I can tell, no-one has made any claims about whether she deserves to / should / will get in and all the well-wishes have been of a general, fairly non-committal 'Oh well, who knows. No reason to cry before you've had your rejection. Just wait and see.' kind. I fail to see how that could affect her chances in any way - after all, her interviews are over, and even a hypothetical confidence boost wouldn't do her any good now. So really, all those good wishes and consolations from complete strangers are neither here nor there. At best they'll help to soften the blow a bit if the OP does get rejected. So what's the problem? And what exactly does any of this have to do with 'will controlling action'?:confused:

*Incidentally, surely this goes both ways? So obviously I agree that we shouldn't take it for granted that the OP deserves a place just because she's feeling bad about how her interviews went and people are ready to empathise, but equally, you have no reason to imply (as you did in your previous post) that if the OP did get in, it would be 'at the expense of some potentially better candidate'. For all we know, she may well have been the best person they interviewed - there's no way of telling either way.
Well if you said something to the questions, you couldn't have screwed up worse than me. take comfort in the fact that you weren't THE WORST. :smile:
You may thing that you haven't done well, but maybe you have. You just have to wait and see what they say.
Good luck
Wait for the decision, don't do anything until you know what has happened.
Reply 47
Oh Gosh!
I've got another interview invitation, for St. Anne's college TOMORROW. I've stopped checking my e-mail for so long, just when I convinced myself everything was over...

Gosh gosh gosh gosh gosh...
Reply 48
GOOD LUCK! Nail it this time!
Reply 49
Good Luck!!! Hope you will do better this time!
Reply 50
Original post by Persephone9
That's awesome :biggrin: It means you can go to an interview in just your underwear! (bottom half only)

I had my interview on skype :biggrin: .. though I think its only for international applicants...
Reply 51
Good luck!! :awesome:
Reply 52
Have a misery beer with me, obviously.
Reply 53
Good Luck :biggrin:
If your were stuttering they wouldn't take much notice. Your nervous, everyone who applies there probably is. Don't forget about that annoying little personal statement we all have to send off :biggrin:

Quick Reply

Latest

Trending

Trending