Hey there! Sign in to join this conversationNew here? Join for free

ReputationRep:
    (Original post by Mathemagicien)
    They're only paid more than men for the same hours, job and education

They actually earn less overall, if you don't account for the above
    So you want them to earn more overall even though they do less hours?! Even feminists quote the pay gap hour for hour...

ReputationRep:
    (Original post by J-SP)
    There's a fair amount of evidence out there to show the more diverse your organisation is, the more success it is likely to have. A lot of these initiatives are driven by the thought of future profit, not any do-gooding.
    Ok, but wouldn't it be better to allow that diversity to come naturally by simply hiring/accepting the applications of the best suited people and disregarding arbitrary physical features?

ReputationRep:
    (Original post by KRin)
    So why bother having gender specific programs?
    Because women are not applying! They are put off by either perceptions that they won't fit in to the culture of a finance organisation (because they are dominated by white, privately educated, men), or by the reality that they don't want to work for an organisation that isn't very inclusive for women.

I really wish programmes like this, as well as those for social mobility, ethnicity and disability didn't have to exist. But from my experience they are a vital way to attract and inform potential future talent, so they will apply in the future.

People are ultimately drawn to people who are like them, and if you have a skew in your demographics already (like an over-representation of white, privately educated men), then you are more likely to just continue the over-represented group. That over-represented group will be over-represented at university campus events, they will over-represent the number of referrals/recommendations to the company, meaning they will get more applications from people like them. It becomes a bit of a vicious circle.

ReputationRep:
    Honestly, you should not make such comments until you really have went through stages of applying jobs/internships. Company only allows you to apply for one scheme/position within a year (or Next,6-month). Male and Female are both entitled to one chance in a year.

Go look up the jobsearches, there's lots of jobs that are male-specific/only, I will not make any comment on that and make false assumptions every company on earth is having female/male-schemes.

(Original post by KRin)
    Lets pretend that there are 2 internship schemes for men and women, and another 2 that only accept women. This means that a man only has 2 possible schemes while a woman has 4. Doesn't this mean the man has less opportunities?

ReputationRep:
    havent got time to read the above comments, but surely this is because it is WOMEN who are less likely to go into the finance/business sector (due to gender subjects choices, such as men less likely to be into languages) thus people are trying to encourage WOMEN to go into finance and business as men are already there!

ReputationRep:
    (Original post by KRin)
    Ok, but wouldn't it be better to allow that diversity to come naturally by simply hiring/accepting the applications of the best suited people and disregarding arbitrary physical features?
    See my previous post.

The diversity won't just happen if you can't attract a diverse range of applicants in the first place.

ReputationRep:
    :flip::flip::flip::flip:

The whole point is they are put off, but some ignorant people claim women do not apply because of weakness, nonsense. Support your point!

(Original post by J-SP)
    Because women are not applying! They are put off by either perceptions that they won't fit in to the culture of a finance organisation (because they are dominated by white, privately educated, men), or by the reality that they don't want to work for an organisation that isn't very inclusive for women.

I really wish programmes like this, as well as those for social mobility, ethnicity and disability didn't have to exist. But from my experience they are a vital way to attract and inform potential future talent, so they will apply in the future.

People are ultimately drawn to people who are like them, and if you have a skew in your demographics already (like an over-representation of white, privately educated men), then you are more likely to just continue the over-represented group. That over-represented group will be over-represented at university campus events, they will over-represent the number of referrals/recommendations to the company, meaning they will get more applications from people like them. It becomes a bit of a vicious circle.

ReputationRep:
    Fair comment. We never know the real intentions of those companies but overall it is a positive thing isn't it! If the company is hosting 'anti-male in business' then it is immoral and sexist!

(Original post by Rainbowcorn)
    havent got time to read the above comments, but surely this is because it is WOMEN who are less likely to go into the finance/business sector (due to gender subjects choices, such as men less likely to be into languages) thus people are trying to encourage WOMEN to go into finance and business as men are already there!

ReputationRep:
    (Original post by Rainbowcorn)
    yeah, but some people are saying females would feel unmotivated and uncomfortable to work in a male majority job....

but then again. if you were REALLY were passionate about the job, why would u let a gender stop you?

get a stronger mentality.

ReputationRep:
    The company restrained candidate to apply for only ONE position/internship per year/term time. Same standards for the job requirements.

PSome females can feel unmotivated and uncomfortable and please respect how they feel. AND DON'T OVER-GENERALISE AS ALL FEMALES. thanks.

(Original post by KnightCode)
    yeah, but some people are saying females would feel unmotivated and uncomfortable to work in a male majority job....

but then again. if you were REALLY were passionate about the job, why would u let a gender stop you?

ReputationRep:

It isn't just about being unmotivated or uncomfortable. It is also about being informed.

There are lots of people out there who have never had the opportunity to work out whether the career is for them or not. And worse than that, there are plenty of people who have got the wrong messages from careers advisors, educators, or from general public perceptions (or misconceived perceptions), telling them they won't be right for the career. These initiatives are there to try and give people access to the profession and then to try and educate or inform them, so then the individual can be that passionate person with the stronger mentality you are suggesting they should be.

ReputationRep:
    (Original post by Quiton)
    Please read carefully, I am suggesting some females are not willing to pursue jobs in certain sectors as they feel they are disadvantaged and not treated equally. THE WOMAN HERSELF FEELS THAT, NOT ME! AND PLEASE READ AGAIN, I WROTE CERTAIN PORTIONS, NOT ALL FEMALES. It is just as simple as for example, when your girlfriend dumped you , you feel discouraged to pursue a new relationship and you feel sad (it may not be the reality as you might have done something that cause the break up,according to you), others have no rights to say the reason she dumped you is because you are weak/timid/coward/any other adjectives and hence you deserve to be dumped? I am saying we should respect everyone for how they feel towards jobs seeking, instead of labelling them as weak. I will never generalise people are weak when they are unemployed because they may be millionaires retiring at age of 30 and have no ways to spend their wealth!

PS: your assumptions are quite dramatic, and I did not mention any economic aspect of employing woman, please stop putting words in my arguments. And I said SOME females, CERTAIN PORTIONS, check oxford dictionary:
    http://www.oxfordlearnersdictionarie.../some_1?q=SOME
    http://www.oxfordlearnersdictionarie...ish/certain_1?
    http://www.oxfordlearnersdictionarie...RTIONq=CERTAIN

You really dont understand how to argue

ReputationRep:
    (Original post by Quiton)
    Fair comment. We never know the real intentions of those companies but overall it is a positive thing isn't it! If the company is hosting 'anti-male in business' then it is immoral and sexist!
    thats true! I think it is good to have things set up to encourage females, but not to put down males or vice versa!

ReputationRep:
    (Original post by J-SP)

I think this is my main problem with this side of the argument. I've never understood the concept of not doing something because your under-represented in that area. It seems to me that if your so easilly put off then you need to seriously reconsider how you do things.

ReputationRep:
    I don't understand what da*** you are saying 'a gender stop you.' You got dump by your girlfriend not because you are a male, same in here! Female feels upset with working environment due to past experience/dilemma/social stigma, not because they are females. LOL are you a sexist.

ReputationRep:
    (Original post by KRin)
    I think this is my main problem with this side of the argument. I've never understood the concept of not doing something because your under-represented in that area. It seems to me that if your so easilly put off then you need to seriously reconsider how you do things.
    Say it isn't a case of being put off, say it is a case of actually you are just not aware that you could be an exceptional employee and success in that industry, because no one has ever really encouraged you to think about it in the first place. Then you might understand why these initiatives exist.

If you are a fortunate person to have worked out what you want to do early on, and/or have had the support from others to encourage you to pursue a career, then you won't be put off easily. But for the vast majority of potential untapped talent out there, they haven't been that fortunate and therefore need the encouragement to consider the career in the first place.

ReputationRep:

get a stronger mentality? lol
    Im a female and like i said above, i do think it is good to have things set up to encourage females (or males!) to go into fields where there aren't many females (or males). Of course, if someone is passionate about something, lets say finance in this situation, then it would be silly for them not to do it. However, i think we're past that stage of 'thats not socially acceptable, i will choose a different job' (with exceptions), and i think companies setting up programmes to encourage females dont have the goal of making females more comfortable (that too of course) but generally getting more females in the finance sector. This isn't discriminating men. This is merely creating more options, so i might see an advert etc one day and be like 'Oh, i would never usually consider finance. But I like the sound of it' and thus increase my interest. THIS IS MY OPINION.

ReputationRep:
    (Original post by J-SP)
    Say it isn't a case of being put off, say it is a case of actually you are just not aware that you could be an exceptional employee and success in that industry, because no one has ever really encouraged you to think about it in the first place. Then you might understand why these initiatives exist.

If you are a fortunate person to have worked out what you want to do early on, and/or have had the support from others to encourage you to pursue a career, then you won't be put off easily. But for the vast majority of potential untapped talent out there, they haven't been that fortunate and therefore need the encouragement to consider the career in the first place.
    that is exactly my point too ))

ReputationRep:
    Because such incidents never happened to you or your relatives/friends, you won't feel uncomfortable enough to consider that. If something makes you feel uncomfortable, uneasy enough to stop you from pursuing, think about how serious and severe the incidents are about?

(Original post by KRin)

ReputationRep:
    Perhaps the entire business exists to counteract the apparent discrimination in the hiring process of men/women?

Can't discriminate the women out if it's only women. Likewise for minorities (although you could argue about choosing the "least objectionable" minority).

• See more of what you like on The Student Room

You can personalise what you see on TSR. Tell us a little about yourself to get started.

• Poll
    Brussels sprouts
    Useful resources

Articles and guides:

Hands typing

Degrees without fees

Discover more about degree-level apprenticeships.

A-Z of careers Advice on choosing a careerCV writing helpCovering letter helpInterview tips

Featured recruiter profiles:

CGI logo

CGI is open for applications

"Offering a range of apprentice and sponsored degree positions."

Deutsche Bank logo

Deutsche Bank is recruiting

"Thrive in an international banking environment"

ICAEW logo

Merck

"Merck is a global leader in specialized pharma & chemicals – join us!"

Army logo

The Army is recruiting now

"With hundreds of roles available, there’s more than one way to be the best."

Bianca Miller, runner-up on The Apprentice

Handle your digital footprint

What would an employer find out about you on Google? Find out how to take control.

Quick links:

Unanswered career sector and employment threads

Groups associated with this forum:

View associated groups
  • See more of what you like on The Student Room

You can personalise what you see on TSR. Tell us a little about yourself to get started.

• The Student Room, Get Revising and Marked by Teachers are trading names of The Student Room Group Ltd.

Register Number: 04666380 (England and Wales), VAT No. 806 8067 22 Registered Office: International House, Queens Road, Brighton, BN1 3XE

Quick reply
    Reputation gems: You get these gems as you gain rep from other members for making good contributions and giving helpful advice.