The Student Room Group

Scroll to see replies

22198doyle
Daylight robbery, at least Dick Turpin wore a mask!

:laughing: :yep:
little_red_sox
Ahh hon I should have made myself clearer. I'm £2995 into a £3000 overdraft, I physically don't have the money to pay them. And you don't know my parents either.. My mother is the most stupendously spiteful, bitter old hag you've ever met, she's expressed no interest in coming and probably uses my dad going as an excuse. I thought of just borrowing £15 from one of my friends just to pay for myself, but to keep the peace, if I go, my dad must come and so too his unimaginably sour wife. It's just enough stress without feeling like the day is a big con. I don't suppose any of you guys has £80 laying around?? :cool:
Well your mum's attitude does kinda get round the problem of guests, just pay for your dad. Overdraft is more of an issue though, can you not ring your bank and get an extension?

Alternatively have you considered prostitution :p: ?
little_red_sox
.. And now it looks as though i cannot go. :frown:
They are charging £6 per guest to just sit in on your ceremony (there are 6 people coming, including bitch stepmother who i frankly can't be bothered paying for), and its £15 just for me to attend my own ceremony!!. somehow they justify charging £45 for a gown for one day, and if I don't cough up by tomorrow i will lose my seats in the hall!! :mad: Even the reception thing afterwards (tea and a buscuit), they want £5 per person, paid before tomorrow. I'm barely affording to eat! Am I the only one who thinks this is a bit of a scam??

Ah

the advantage of failing uni *sigh* :frown:
crazyhelicopter
Well your mum's attitude does kinda get round the problem of guests, just pay for your dad.
Alternatively have you considered prostitution :p: ?

My 6 guests include My dad, his wife, my boyfriend, my little brother, my sister and her newborn baby. My mum coming was never on the cards, whether I had to pay or not.

Looks like i'll be giving handjobs for a fiver in B&Q carpark tonight :rolleyes:
little_red_sox
My 6 guests include My dad, his wife, my boyfriend, my little brother, my sister and her newborn baby. My mum coming was never on the cards, whether I had to pay or not.

Looks like i'll be giving handjobs for a fiver in B&Q carpark tonight :rolleyes:
Ah I see, doesn't really help then, sorry out of ideas- other than the handjobs (might have to clear this with boyf first though:p: )

Not that it's much of a consolidation but my graduation this year cost ~£200 and next time will cost more like ~£400. It is a total rip-off!!!!!!!!
Reply 45
tinkerbellejess
My bf has graduated from Westminster this year, and they're charging 20quid per guest, and only allowing 4 guests. Which means he has to choose between me, his mum and dad, his brother and sister and anyone else he would want to come! so he doesn't want to go now, but feels obliged as his parents will want to go!

80 quid, and not everyone he wants to come will be able to there, and on top of that, he's got to get his gown etc etc!

There will be guest tickets for sale last minute. Tell him to ring his students services centre and ask when they will be made available. They will cost £20 and you won't be sitting with the rest of the family though.
Reply 46
merry xmas
Is it compulsory to go to your graduation?
Beause, if it isn't, when I graduate I'm not going to bother going.
Sounds like a waste of money, and I doubt my parents will be bothered about it anyway :p:
Reply 48
Elvendork
Is it compulsory to go to your graduation?
Beause, if it isn't, when I graduate I'm not going to bother going.
Sounds like a waste of money, and I doubt my parents will be bothered about it anyway :p:

You will probably regret it in future.
fabowabo
You will probably regret it in future.

I don't know many people who have to be honest. It is very, very boring and little of the time is actually devoted to you. I would have quite happily missed it all if it weren't for mum and dad wanting to go.
Serious question: If you don't go, you still get a degree right?
Reply 51
edward_wells90
You said you're inviting 6 people right - You could charge them £15 each and get a good £90 that way (hopefully you didn't already tell them its actually £6). That way they'll pay for most of your gown as well.

That is a superb idea - I might just try that myself :proud:
It is undoubtedly a con, but not one I would be particularly concerned about if I were you. A hundred quid for one of the proudest moments of your life? It's just something you'll have to bear. I know I'd pay a hundred quid for a few prestigious events.
Reply 53
You do still get a degree if you don't go, yes.

No offence OP but I wouldn't take your sister with her newborn baby. LOTS of people are going to want to slap you/her/insert other family member here after a 2-hour ceremony. It's long and boring enough as it is without a crying baby starting up.

I would tell your family your money situation and say that unless they pay for their tickets they're not coming. YOU DON'T HAVE THE MONEY, simple as.
Yes, if you don't go you still get a degree. Most of my friends really enjoyed graduation - but for a big uni they really do it well. Three ceremonies a day for two weeks so each one is quite small and intimate lasting about forty minutes. Only charge is for your gown, and that fee doesn't go to the uni. Guaranteed at least two tickets, but managed to get four, plus a small reception afterwards - all free. Wouldn't have missed it for the world.
There's no way you should be expected to pay for anyone. If you were in a school play, would your parents expect you to pay for their tickets to see you perform? Attending your graduation is optional, and if they want to do it, they can pay for it.
Reply 56
We only had to pay for gown hire; the rest was free or up to you (in the case of photographs etc).
tinkerbellejess
My bf has graduated from Westminster this year, and they're charging 20quid per guest, and only allowing 4 guests. Which means he has to choose between me, his mum and dad, his brother and sister and anyone else he would want to come! so he doesn't want to go now, but feels obliged as his parents will want to go!

80 quid, and not everyone he wants to come will be able to there, and on top of that, he's got to get his gown etc etc!

Who the **** negged me for this post saying:

You shouldn't even be a consideration. Family comes first, and a good girlfriend would accept that and tell him to take his family.

I'm not telling him anything, it's his choice, not mine, and even less yours!

I live with my bf, we've been together for 3 years, and know we want to spend the rest of our lives together so why shouldn't I be a consideration? That's for him to decide and he's decided he wants me there, that's not for you to say to say I shouldn't be allowed to go. He's read that and thought you're a complete idiot, as I haven't told him or even hinted that I have to go instead of his family, yet he still wants me there as I am special to him (and I'd want him at my graduation seeing as he's been with me through the whole of it).

Being allowed only 4 guests and still having to pay for them doesn't mean everyone he wants to be there will be regardless of whether I go or not as his grandparents want to go (seeing as he's the first one to go uni in the family), his brother in law as they're pretty close so even if I demand he doesn't take me he still has to let someone down by them not being able to go.
Reply 58
little_red_sox
.. And now it looks as though i cannot go. :frown:
They are charging £6 per guest to just sit in on your ceremony (there are 6 people coming, including bitch stepmother who i frankly can't be bothered paying for), and its £15 just for me to attend my own ceremony!!. somehow they justify charging £45 for a gown for one day, and if I don't cough up by tomorrow i will lose my seats in the hall!! :mad: Even the reception thing afterwards (tea and a buscuit), they want £5 per person, paid before tomorrow. I'm barely affording to eat! Am I the only one who thinks this is a bit of a scam??

While it probably represents their costs, ie. not a scam, it does seem a bit strange that a university wouldn't just provide the ceremony at least for free. But you could just not go, quite a few people skip the graduation ceremony.

Graduation is at least as much for parents to do their proud parenting thing as it is for students - most of my friends wouldn't have bothered going if it wasn't for parents wanting to - so it seems reasonable to ask them to contribute. If they won't, just tell them you're not going to go then and receive your degree in absentia. Or as you say, scrounge £15 to go yourself, though aren't gowns usually compulsory?
Reply 59
ThePants999
One of many reasons why, three years after finishing uni, I still haven't graduated :smile:

I thought you automatically graduated in absentia if you didn't do it for a couple of years?

Latest

Trending

Trending