The Student Room Group

LLM LPC Online Vs Face-to-Face and books

Hello,

I am looking into studying the LLM LPC in the new year and wanted to ask whether anyone has used books from Law Answered - lawanswered.com/topics-lpc

In addition, has anyone studied at either BPP or the University of Law. My mode of study will be part time, preferably weekends, though I could do weekdays and I was considering online instead of face-to-face.

Any advice will be gratefully appreciated.

Many thanks
Ade
(edited 6 months ago)
Reply 1
Original post by Adenekan
Hello,

I am looking into studying the LLM LPC in the new year and wanted to ask whether anyone has used books from Law Answered - lawanswered.com/topics-lpc

In addition, has anyone studied at either BPP or the University of Law. My mode of study will be part time, preferably weekends, though I could do weekdays and I was considering online instead of face-to-face.

Any advice will be gratefully appreciated.

Many thanks
Ade

Congratulations on taking the step to start your LLM LPC. I used law answered during my LPC at BPP in 2020 however, do not substitute it for your note because they sometimes use either University of law or BPP study guide to create them. You cannot tell the one they will use. Let your note consolidation be your first go to and use Law answered as a secondary resource.

I did my LLM LPC full-time at BPP and I believe both part-time and full-time study are good mode of study. My LLM LPC was meant to be face-to-face but because of Covid everything was online and i hated it personally because I still believe i didn't receive my money's worth. Studying online or face-to-face depend on the individual involved please choose what suit you better. I personally prefer interacting with other. Hence, I prefer face-to-face but, do what is best for you by evaluating yourself genuinely.

Wishing you all the best with your LLM LPC.
Reply 2
Original post by Niffyjay
Congratulations on taking the step to start your LLM LPC. I used law answered during my LPC at BPP in 2020 however, do not substitute it for your note because they sometimes use either University of law or BPP study guide to create them. You cannot tell the one they will use. Let your note consolidation be your first go to and use Law answered as a secondary resource.

I did my LLM LPC full-time at BPP and I believe both part-time and full-time study are good mode of study. My LLM LPC was meant to be face-to-face but because of Covid everything was online and i hated it personally because I still believe i didn't receive my money's worth. Studying online or face-to-face depend on the individual involved please choose what suit you better. I personally prefer interacting with other. Hence, I prefer face-to-face but, do what is best for you by evaluating yourself genuinely.

Wishing you all the best with your LLM LPC.

Could you please let me know how the solicitors accounts paper was tested at BPP and did you use law answered for all your core modules as a secondary resource?
My sons finished it at BPP full time last year and lived at home(I am a lawyer too) . I agree with the comment above - your main resource is the materials BPP give you. They did use the law answered too but it was not a substitute for the BPP provided materials. Their GDL was entirely online during the pandemic with BPP so they were pleased the LPC was in person and went in to their sessions on two days of the week (sometimes it is more often) in term 1. They found it quite useful to be face to face after university finals from home online and 100% of the pandemic PGDL online. However I am sure people manage fine doing it online too.

I cannot remember how BPP did the solicitors accounts paper. I don't think it is a major part of the course in the way that business law or litigation is.
You also need to consider that some firms are making future trainees do the whole SQE even if they have the LPC so it is getting a bit complicated as to whether to do the LPC or not in this short period before all new graduates must move on to the SQE only.
Reply 4
I was in the same position as you! I wanted to start the LLM LPC Part-Time in January, as I'm currently working full time as a paralegal, and I live quite close to the London campuses. I prefer face to face learning personally, but ultimately I decided to go online. Online I can do everything at my own pace and don't have obligations of lecture times, which may not work around my working schedule. I'm also lazy and don't want to have to get the tube into London at 5:30 after work to study:biggrin:. So my advice is to do what you know will suit your lifestyle best, because you'll be able to adapt to it easier. I'm hoping its the best decision for me as I am yet to do it of course but time will tell.

I also know a few people that have done the LPC part time face to face that then changed to do it online, so you could try it out if you're unsure first and always change!
And to add that to that my in person sons after term 1 did mix and match a bit - not go on but watch on line in term 2 (the skills term) to fit in with other things (and avoid the transport costs to London) and also term 3 - electives did not always go in, one not much at all and still did well. So I think it depends on the person and your timetable costs budget etc as to what works best. BPP do say that the people who attend their sessions whether in person or online are the ones who do best which I am sure is the case, but that involvement can be online or in person of course.
Reply 6
Original post by 17Student17
My sons finished it at BPP full time last year and lived at home(I am a lawyer too) . I agree with the comment above - your main resource is the materials BPP give you. They did use the law answered too but it was not a substitute for the BPP provided materials. Their GDL was entirely online during the pandemic with BPP so they were pleased the LPC was in person and went in to their sessions on two days of the week (sometimes it is more often) in term 1. They found it quite useful to be face to face after university finals from home online and 100% of the pandemic PGDL online. However I am sure people manage fine doing it online too.

I cannot remember how BPP did the solicitors accounts paper. I don't think it is a major part of the course in the way that business law or litigation is.
You also need to consider that some firms are making future trainees do the whole SQE even if they have the LPC so it is getting a bit complicated as to whether to do the LPC or not in this short period before all new graduates must move on to the SQE only.

Thank you
Reply 7
And to add that to that my in person sons after term 1 did mix and match a bit - not go on but watch on line in term 2 (the skills term) to fit in with other things (and avoid the transport costs to London) and also term 3 - electives did not always go in, one not much at all and still did well. So I think it depends on the person and your timetable costs budget etc as to what works best. BPP do say that the people who attend their sessions whether in person or online are the ones who do best which I am sure is the case, but that involvement can be online or in person of course.

Thank you.
Reply 8

Are there any closed book exams and if so how are you assessed - there is a lot of ground to cover.

Quick Reply

Latest

Trending

Trending