The Student Room Group

Should I quit my tech job for a second undergraduate degree?

In a nutshell: I'm 25 now, in a well-paid software engineering job and I have the opportunity to move to London for a degree in circus arts. I would graduate at the age of 28.

The details: I studied German, Spanish and linguistics in my first BA degree, but then did a software engineering grad scheme, which I've been on for about two years now. I've been doing aerial arts (silks, rope, trapeze, hoop, etc.) for a couple years and very last minute for this year's intake, I applied for another BA degree in circus arts in London and got in. I kind of just wanted to see if I could get in and see what happens. So now I have to decide whether to take up my spot, which would involve quitting my tech job, moving to London, paying my own tuition fees, as I can't get a second loan, and having the uncertainty of a career in performing arts, especially graduating at the age of 27-28.

Technically, I believe I have enough savings to make it through the 2-3 year degree including tuition fees and living costs, but obviously, there is no guarantee afterwards. I have a language degree and experience tutoring, as well as teaching aerial to both adults and kids. I don't think I have enough skills to freelance in tech, but I'm not completely opposed to it. On one hand, I feel it might be too late, but on the other hand, I might regret not going for it later - I can sit in an office and stare at a computer all day later in life.

So my question is, should I go for it, and if anyone has a similar experience, I'd appreciate any tips around getting a second degree, leaving a tech job or a performing arts education.

Thanks a lot,
Bara :smile:
Reply 1
You will come out of the second degree aged 28. That is normally the peak of an athlete - downhill from aged 30 as your body gives up. Think seriously about giving up a safe job for the chance to get a job in circus arts.
Reply 2
Might not be all that bad https://www.laurawitwer.com/2011/09/29/how-old-is-that-in-circus-years-the-truth-about-aging-in-circus/

but yeah injuries are going to be more of a worry as you get on in years

Also how much are you budgeting for this to cost you and is it really going to get you places you couldn't get by begging circuses for work right now? Genuine question, I don't know anything about circus recruitment.

Quick Reply

Latest

Trending

Trending