The Student Room Group

Help pls.

I'm 21 now. I last graduated with 3 A*s in A-levels. But due to some unfortunate events, I had to take gap years. I've worked a lot during those times and gained some experiences in the business fields, but that's about it. Now I want to go back to education, but I'm afraid it's too late. Will Universities accept me? What should I do? Where do I start from now?
Also, I don't think I'm eligible to get student loan as me and my family recently moved here in UK. But I work so I hope I'll be able to pay my own tuition fees, I'll try my best to.
Tbh, my dream was actually to become a Doctor, hence why I always worked hard during school years. But then during those gap years, something just snapped. And like someone said, "Medicine isn't for empty pocketers, at least not certainly for foreigners like me. I'm starting to believe it's true. And as its getting more and more late I just want to get by now with any undergraduate degree that's going to earn me a higher paying job. I've CS/SE currently in mind. Are they good? Which is better CS, SE, or IT? Since, I've to pay my own tuition fees, could anyone advice/suggest me some good universities that offers with hopefully more afforable price? Is Open University a good option?
Hey!

I'm really sorry about everything you've had to go through, and I'm genuinely hoping things do look up for you!

It's definitely not too late for you to go back into education. I'm turning 23 soon and decided to change my major just as I was about to graduate, so I'm now one of the oldest people in my cohort. I hope that that's somewhat reassuring in that sense because it's never too late to pursue something better.

You'll have to do the application process alone, but universities will definitely accept you especially given the grades you got for your A Levels. The application process is pretty easy and straightforward (done through UCAS), but you will need to get an academic reference from an old professor of yours as part of the application, so if you can get that, it'll really help you out.

As for funding, there are some universities that allow students to pay their tuition fees in instalments. I can't speak for all universities, but I know that SOAS University allows you to pay your fees in 2 equal instalments one due before or at enrolment for the new academic year and the second due on February 14th. I've personally found this useful since I'm also self-funding right now, and I also work while studying to afford my tuition.

As for what you want to study, I, unfortunately, can't advise you on anything. All I can say is to take your time and choose wisely I made the mistake of choosing a major I didn't like at first and then changed my mind later on. Don't settle for something you won't be happy with.

I also can't advise which university is better because it really depends on the speciality. I'd just suggest taking your time to research the universities and the courses available. Also, keep your eye on the application deadlines because they open in September-ish time.

Hope that helped and good luck!
Original post by Anonymous
I'm 21 now. I last graduated with 3 A*s in A-levels. But due to some unfortunate events, I had to take gap years. I've worked a lot during those times and gained some experiences in the business fields, but that's about it. Now I want to go back to education, but I'm afraid it's too late. Will Universities accept me? What should I do? Where do I start from now?
Also, I don't think I'm eligible to get student loan as me and my family recently moved here in UK. But I work so I hope I'll be able to pay my own tuition fees, I'll try my best to.
Tbh, my dream was actually to become a Doctor, hence why I always worked hard during school years. But then during those gap years, something just snapped. And like someone said, "Medicine isn't for empty pocketers, at least not certainly for foreigners like me. I'm starting to believe it's true. And as its getting more and more late I just want to get by now with any undergraduate degree that's going to earn me a higher paying job. I've CS/SE currently in mind. Are they good? Which is better CS, SE, or IT? Since, I've to pay my own tuition fees, could anyone advice/suggest me some good universities that offers with hopefully more afforable price? Is Open University a good option?

Hi,
It's definitely not too late to attend university. Students in my classes have attended university after one or two gap years, but also after a longer time away from education. One of the things I love about University is the diverse range of people with varying life experiences there.
I've added a link to an information page for mature students at Lancaster if you're interested in checking it out: https://www.lancaster.ac.uk/study/why-lancaster/mature-students/.
Whichever university you chose to go to, it'll definitely have a lot of support available for mature students as well as financial advice.
Hope this helps,
Becky
(Lancaster University Student Ambassador)
Original post by Anonymous

Hi there,

I'm sorry you feel this way. I went through a similar experience since I started university when I was 20 (after 2 gap years). I was nervous that people would treat me differently because I was a bit older, but not at all! In my case, I found that no-one really cares about age and it is definitely not too late to start at 21. There are several people on my course who are 24/25 (in third year) and they are enjoying the course and uni life just as much as everyone else!

As for the cost of university, I agree, it can be expensive. Lancaster University does offer some scholarships though which can help contribute to the cost of the course, and which you may be eligible for since you have 3A*s. Here is the website where you can find out more information: https://www.lancaster.ac.uk/study/fees-and-funding/scholarships-and-bursaries/. It is also common for students to have part-time jobs which can help go towards their tuition fee/cost of living.

Hope that's helpful! Best of luck for your future.
Chloe
(Lancaster University Student Ambassador)

Quick Reply

Latest

Trending

Trending