The Student Room Group

Scroll to see replies

Reply 660
jayshah31
Sounds like an interesting idea.

Where did you get this definition from, and how are people actually revising for this? I'm just on TSR now :indiff:

I have a file open in front of me, a textbook, and also a past paper with mark scheme but I'm not using them. No motivation :frown: In a few hours when I realise there's not much time left I'll start cramming.
Vitamin Sea
They were both examples which I made up as I was typing, I just wanted to check whether my method of evaluating was okay because they haven't mention it in the mark schemes.

Thanks though. :smile:

Fair enough. The mark schemes are more useful as toilet paper half the time, they're of no aid what-so-ever when marking your own essays.

Dan?
heh.

A question. How much are you supposed to write in section A of this paper? I've not really done much practice for them.

1.25 + 1.75 excluding diagrams.

Stefano46
To be honest, I got the reluctant part from some dodgy site lol.
Guess you're right. This is lil off the topic, look at the countdown lady (Carol Vorderman) last year who refused her pay cut ---> unemployed or as she put it, for "family reasons"

:biggrin:

But then again, that was one person :smile:
--

Phew. Quote frenzy going here.
Vitamin Sea
If I was talking about the effects of a fiscal deficit and I rant on about how taxes will be raised to reduce the deficit.
Would the following count as evaluation? On the other, the goverment may be unwilling to raise taxes as it would provide a disincentive to work and could lead to lower productivity and slower economic growth.

Yes kind of.

It would be a lot better to talk about how to narrow the gap. Taxes? Raising income tax would discourage some from work (=> loss of output + increase in benefit payout + unpopular move). Excise taxes? Maybe it's better to cut spending rather than increasing revenue. But how? ...
Reply 663
jayshah31
1.25 + 1.75 excluding diagrams.

3 pages in 45 minutes, fat chance :frown: I hate writing so I have no idea why I picked this subject.
Reply 664
I have to say I am dreading this paper as have heard it is the worst Economics one so far. Although unit 5 seemed to go alright so maybe I can get a good mark from that and hopefully means I wont have to do as well on this. Anyone know what are the grade boundaries generally like for this paper?
There could be something on Public Sector Net Borrowing - according to my teacher who was at the Edexcel conference.
Reply 666
seby1230
I have to say I am dreading this paper as have heard it is the worst Economics one so far. Although unit 5 seemed to go alright so maybe I can get a good mark from that and hopefully means I wont have to do as well on this. Anyone know what are the grade boundaries generally like for this paper?

hmmm I have heard that unit 4 was the hardest. I don't know though, I find them all hard :s-smilie:
Reply 667
Vitamin Sea
There could be something on Public Sector Net Borrowing - according to my teacher who was at the Edexcel conference.

Who wants to brainstorm the budget deficit and its contents
Reply 668
I'd love for international competetiveness to come up! But it came up last year :frown:
Dan?
I have a file open in front of me, a textbook, and also a past paper with mark scheme but I'm not using them. No motivation :frown: In a few hours when I realise there's not much time left I'll start cramming.

:sigh:

That's what I'll to do.

Dan?
3 pages in 45 minutes, fat chance :frown: I hate writing so I have no idea why I picked this subject.

:frown:

What economic history do people know? Like historic inflation/deficits/interest rates across countries?
Reply 670
Stefano46
Who wants to brainstorm the budget deficit and its contents

Yeah cool lets do it. Budget deficit: gov spending more than they are receiving frm taxes?
Reply 671
Dan?
hmmm I have heard that unit 4 was the hardest. I don't know though, I find them all hard :s-smilie:

Yeh I also find all the economics exam pretty difficult. I have found that unit 4 is the hardest one especially with all the rotten diagrams you have to learn and them giving you so little time to do it but quite a few people have said to me 6 is tough aswell. Will have to see though.

I do find economics pretty interesting especially with the recession at the moment but I do find it really difficult and the highest I am really aiming for is D to be honest.
iPod
Yeah cool lets do it. Budget deficit: gov spending more than they are receiving frm taxes?

Yeah.

Borrowing leads to crowding out.
Dan?

Unit 4 is definitely the hardest. In January at least, the time they gave us to do the paper was completely inadequate, and all the theory gave me a headache.
Reply 674
jayshah31
Yeah.

Can lead to higher taxes? eg increased incomes tax, less incentive to work, more benefits gotta be given.
eval; depends upon magnitude of change eg 1% wont make much difference
jayshah31
Yeah.

And also interest rate hikes across the board because the government competes with the private sector to finance the debt.
I like Economics and I find most people over complicate what they already know which tends to confuse them. Don't go into great depths unless they ask you to, because ultimately the answers are common sense and you've just got to remember to evaluate as you go along.
seby1230

Low, thank God. 58/100 for an A in 2008 I believe, and I think it was 62/100 in 2007.
Im going to concentrate on Globalisation, Trade Liberalisation, Trade Blocs inc. EU, International competitiveness, BofP and exchange rate systems. Lets hope I get away with it. :smile:
Reply 679
If government defecit does come up is it worth mentioning that golden rule that Gordon Brown used to go on about in the answer?

Latest

Trending

Trending