The Student Room Group

UKCAT for 2017 Entry to UK

Scroll to see replies

VR is a pain. I am write now skimming on question, and then reading passage then trying to find the answer, but its too long. Takes me 2 minutes per passage ( 4 questions). How do i speed up?
Original post by 123chem
VR is a pain. I am write now skimming on question, and then reading passage then trying to find the answer, but its too long. Takes me 2 minutes per passage ( 4 questions). How do i speed up?

That's actually the right amount of time for it :u:
I don't really have any tips, but just practice, I guess?
Original post by Gogregg
That's actually the right amount of time for it :u:
I don't really have any tips, but just practice, I guess?

but then there are some passages i end up taking 3 minutes on :/ like, i just did 8 passages in 18.49, which is a bit too much time.
Original post by 123chem
but then there are some passages i end up taking 3 minutes on :/ like, i just did 8 passages in 18.49, which is a bit too much time.

Hmm, that's true.

My best tip would just be to practice practice practice. Practice skim-reading and extracting info. With T/F/CT questions, the most likely answer seems to be CT, so if you're really running out of time, guess that.
Original post by ronnydandam
do you guys think 5 hours a day for 4 weeks is good enough for 700+ score?

5 hours is a lot but if one can manage, good. Spread it equally between doing questions AND understanding how a solution is reached rather than just be happy if you got the ans right. Get some good resources.
Original post by studentsixth
If it's in for Mid-September, you should probably start revising in early August at the earliest. You may find that you run out of resources if not!

DA will probably not have that much of an effect on averages except maybe make them slightly higher because of the fact that you only have to focus on three sections than the usual four. Don't worry, Im sure you'll do great!

Don't forget Kaplan book as well as 1200 q UA book.
Online resources: use them all
Original post by KevinClyde
Hi,
Does anyone know if it's possible to have two people signed in the same Medify account at one time? Thinking of splitting the price with a friend, but unsure if it'll cause inconvenience... Thanks!

Yeah you can I did the same thing with a friend, we bought 2 months as our respective exam dates were a few weeks apart (works out cheaper), but you can only take each one on the mocks once!!

Posted from TSR Mobile
i found that a couple of answers in Kaplan book are wrong. Like, on pg 26, shouldnt Q 28 be C, not A?

For people without the book, ill type the question here.

5 hourses: Dazzle, truffle, peppermint, jack of hearts, galaxy. Galaxy's speed is 9.2mph. A trail starts at edge of estate and extends 11 miles.

Q25. Truffle rides full length of trail in one hour. Average trotting speed in mph?
A. 8.9

Q26. Jack of hearts rides all the way and back again. The speed on ride out is twice (44 minutes) as speed on ride back. Average trotting speed?
A. 10mph

Q27. Dazzle's speed is 1.4mph faster than peppermint's. Peppermint completes the trail and back in 2 H 39 M. Peppermint's speed?
A. 8.3

Q28. Fastest average trotting speed?
A. Dazzle (given) but it should be jack of hearts, right?
(edited 7 years ago)
hey guys, anyone times themselves for the VR questions? I'm taking around 32.5 seconds per question, which is slightly more than the time allowed (30s per question)
Just did a practice, got 690 for verbal reasoning - is that an okay score? :s-smilie:
Original post by rosemondtan
hey guys, anyone times themselves for the VR questions? I'm taking around 32.5 seconds per question, which is slightly more than the time allowed (30s per question)

It should be fine. As everyone is saying, real exam is slightly easier than the online question on modify or Books like 1000q or 1200q. With practice it should get better anyway
Original post by 123chem
i found that a couple of answers in Kaplan book are wrong. Like, on pg 26, shouldnt Q 28 be C, not A?

5 hourses: Dazzle, truffle, peppermint, jack of hearts, galaxy. Galaxy's speed is 9.2mph. A trail starts at edge of estate and extends 11 miles.

Q25. Truffle rides full length of trail in one hour. Average trotting speed in mph?
A. 8.9

Q26. Jack of hearts rides all the way and back again. The speed on ride out is twice (44 minutes) as speed on ride back. Average trotting speed?
A. 10mph

Q27. Dazzle's speed is 1.4mph faster than peppermint's. Peppermint completes the trail and back in 2 H 39 M. Peppermint's speed?
A. 8.3

I found similar issues with practice book but I follow the technique and if I have learned from it, I am least perturbed by answer. Picture and identify which set kind of questions are more likely to have errors
Reply 732
Original post by 123chem

A. 8.9

A. 10mph

A. 8.3

Ignoring truffle, it does look like jack has the fastest avg speed but i don't see why it's not truffle :smile:
Shouldn't truffle have avg speed 11 mph..effectively making it the fastest?
Original post by mliela
This is very misleading. It's all about where you apply. Anything above 725 is really high and will be good anywhere. People just need to apply to their strengths. If your UKCAT isn't amazing then avoid UKCAT heavy unis b

Posted from TSR Mobile

Exactly?the ukcat isn't the end of the world and I wasn't being misleading at all.A poor ukcat score doesn't rule out studying medicine and people shouldn't be discouraged by it.Just like a high ukcat doesn't gurantee you getting into medicine
Original post by studentsixth
It really depends on how much you've got going on as well (like you need to be revising your AS subjects that are reformed, planning your personal statement and undergoing work experience + extra reading). I'd say 2-3 hours a day at most would be more suitable

Thanks, I'm thinking of revising AS in the 3 weeks after my exam which are before school starts, and statement first draft is done, so not much more else to do
Original post by UKCATmagic
5 hours is a lot but if one can manage, good. Spread it equally between doing questions AND understanding how a solution is reached rather than just be happy if you got the ans right. Get some good resources.

I shall do, thanks. Anyone know if medical portal questions are good?
Original post by medstudent1010
Exactly?the ukcat isn't the end of the world and I wasn't being misleading at all.A poor ukcat score doesn't rule out studying medicine and people shouldn't be discouraged by it.Just like a high ukcat doesn't gurantee you getting into medicine

It would've been clearer if you'd maybe given examples of the universities. I know people with super high UKCAT scores that didn't get in this year because they didn't apply smartly. But people who got low scores did. I'm just reiterating that it's more about where you apply. Well done on your interviews

Posted from TSR Mobile
Original post by hayleeyy
Hey!

How long do people spend preparing for the UKCAT? My exam is at the start of September and so far I have only really touched on each section a little bit due to working 14 hour days as a carer:coffee:
Should i try and do a little bit every day or dedicate one day a week to it? :colondollar:**

Hi hayleeyy

Hoping I can offer some advice on this.

If your test isn't until the start of September then you are starting in good time. Will you be working 14 hours a day right up until your test?

Ideally you should try to work out a regular schedule for studying for several weeks up until your exam date and I would say it is better to do a few hours each day rather than try to cram it into one day a week. This could be done on your own, or you could look into a UKCAT course.

Remember that the more resources you have available to you, the better. This should be in the form of mock papers, practice questions, books etc. It would be a good idea to start sourcing these now so you are not scrambling around trying to find them in the run up to your test. Do let me know if you would like some pointers on resources that will help.

You might like to read this blog as it has lots of tips for getting ready for the UCKAT.

I hope that is helpful... do give me a shout if I can answer any questions for you.

UniAdmissions
Original post by ronnydandam
Thanks a lot, and nah I'm going to start tomorrow! I shall see the blog cheers

You're welcome.

Let me know if there is anything else I can help with once you get started.

UniAdmissions
Original post by mliela
It would've been clearer if you'd maybe given examples of the universities. I know people with super high UKCAT scores that didn't get in this year because they didn't apply smartly. But people who got low scores did. I'm just reiterating that it's more about where you apply. Well done on your interviews

Posted from TSR Mobile

Thank you!will you be going to medical school this year?if yes which one?

Quick Reply

Latest

Trending

Trending