The Student Room Group

Scroll to see replies

Original post by L'Evil Fish
It's true though :ahee:

Nah not really :tongue:

Besides being a plumber is actually pretty complicated and I wouldn't want an unqualified plumber any more than I'd want an unqualified surgeon because that **** will **** up your house so I don't even like the 'just plumbing' insinuation.
Original post by Little Tail Chaser
Nah not really :tongue:

Besides being a plumber is actually pretty complicated and I wouldn't want an unqualified plumber any more than I'd want an unqualified surgeon because that **** will **** up your house so I don't even like the 'just plumbing' insinuation.

I didn't say there's no skill involved, but it is just learning what goes where and what to do :tongue:

It is the plumbing of the body.
I didn't say there's no skill involved, but it is just learning what goes where and what to do :tongue:

Yea but

it's a lot more than that tho
Yea but

I'm not dumbing it down, I'm just saying it's not something I'll want to do now.

Yea but

FFS Fish, nobody reasonable is actually serious when they say **** like that about biology :tongue:
Original post by MangoFreak
FFS Fish, nobody reasonable is actually serious when they say **** like that about biology :tongue:

:rofl: I like how every word has a place in your sentences.

Medicine is just plumbing, dun dun dun dun.
I'm not dumbing it down, I'm just saying it's not something I'll want to do now.

You are actually dumbing it down.

I'm not trying to start ****, and obviously I don't have an issue with the fact that you don't want to apply for medicine (me neither :lol: ) it's just a bit douchey to be making fun of other people's choice of careers, no?

I have no plans to apply to be a medic/plumber, but it just comes across as really condescending when you dismiss them like that?
:rofl: I like how every word has a place in your sentences.

Medicine is just plumbing, dun dun dun dun.

I have no idea what you're talking about :lol: Of course my words have places in my sentences. That's usually how sentences are formed...
You are actually dumbing it down.

I'm not trying to start ****, and obviously I don't have an issue with the fact that you don't want to apply for medicine (me neither :lol: ) it's just a bit douchey to be making fun of other people's choice of careers, no?

I have no plans to apply to be a medic/plumber, but it just comes across as really condescending when you dismiss them like that?

How am I making fun of it? :lol: world needs plumbers. I'm actually all for vocational careers, prefer them to people who want to be medics because that's what their parents want (and them not)

I'm not dismissing them at all :s-smilie: just made me realise I don't want to do it. It'd be boring FOR ME.

Either way, even dumbing it down,I think the hardest part of being a doctor is the emotional aspect, not the other bits.
How am I making fun of it? :lol: world needs plumbers. I'm actually all for vocational careers, prefer them to people who want to be medics because that's what their parents want (and them not)

I'm not dismissing them at all :s-smilie: just made me realise I don't want to do it. It'd be boring FOR ME.

Either way, even dumbing it down,I think the hardest part of being a doctor is the emotional aspect, not the other bits.

Pssst... medicine IS vocational :wink: You are trained for a certain career.

Well it sounded as if you were being dismissive. 'Just XYZ' implies simplicity.
Pssst... medicine IS vocational :wink: You are trained for a certain career.

Well it sounded as if you were being dismissive. 'Just XYZ' implies simplicity.

I meant vocational as in the ones you can do apprenticeships in.

The 'just' bit was part of the quote.
I meant vocational as in the ones you can do apprenticeships in.

The 'just' bit was part of the quote.

Well then say what you mean? :tongue:

Well then I dislike that quote. :lol:

As I said, I'm not trying to start anything with you and I apologise if it's coming across that way, it's just that saying stuff like that about careers that some people aspire to for most of their lives is not the best thing to do. Let's just leave it ahaaa :smile:
Well then say what you mean? :tongue:

Well then I dislike that quote. :lol:

As I said, I'm not trying to start anything with you and I apologise if it's coming across that way, it's just that saying stuff like that about careers that some people aspire to for most of their lives is not the best thing to do. Let's just leave it ahaaa :smile:

Don't get me started on people who aspire to be medics all their lives, because a lot of them are for the wrong reasons :colonhash:

And if I'm honest I nearly made that mistake, to think I'd have committed to such a career for the wrong reasons.
Don't get me started on people who aspire to be medics all their lives, because a lot of them are for the wrong reasons :colonhash:

And if I'm honest I nearly made that mistake, to think I'd have committed to such a career for the wrong reasons.

I've been sold medicine my entire life. Nah, you're all right.

Posted from TSR Mobile

Medicine is like religion for some parents :mmm:

People who want to science/law/other things for money/prestige infuriate me. They didn't, but then I discovered the horrendous post-doctoral job market, inundated with PhD graduates who wanted a high-paying career as a scientist :

Although generalisations shouldn't be made, obviously, I know several people who want to medicine for the "right" reasons.
(edited 10 years ago)
Original post by Obiejess
I've been sold medicine my entire life. Nah, you're all right.

Posted from TSR Mobile

I was expected to do medicine by people but never my parents!

Medicine is like religion for some parents :mmm:

People who want to science/law/other things for money/prestige infuriate me. They didn't, but then I discovered the horrendous post-doctoral job market, inundated with PhD graduates who wanted a high-paying career as a scientist :

Although generalisations shouldn't be made, obviously, I know several people who want to medicine for the "right" reasons.

:lol: let's not go into religion now.

I still don't know 100% whether to do Chemistry or Languages...

:rofl: I want to work for the UN as a chemist :wink:

But lets be honest, a lot of them do it for:
1) Money
2) Prestige
3) Just to prove people wrong
4) Good grades = medic
5) Paternal Pressure

That's not ordered ^
I was expected to do medicine by people but never my parents!

1) Money
2) Prestige
4) Good grades = medic
5) Paternal Pressure

That's not ordered ^

Chemistry with gap year abroad?

Posted from TSR Mobile

1) Money
2) Prestige
4) Good grades = medic
5) Paternal Pressure

That's not ordered ^

By "a lot of them", do you mean you conducted an indepth, randomised survey of prospective medics from around the country/world? :holmes: Sounds like a stereotype to me :mmm:

This is why I want to be a scientist :colone:
Original post by Obiejess
Chemistry with gap year abroad?

Posted from TSR Mobile

Chemistry with a Year abroad. Not a gap year.

Cambridge, Imperial, Nottingham, Bristol and Cardiff atm.

By "a lot of them", do you mean you conducted an indepth, randomised survey of prospective medics from around the country/world? :holmes: Sounds like a stereotype to me :mmm:

This is why I want to be a scientist :colone:

I knew you'd say this.

I asked 100 potential medics what their honest reason was. 80 said one of the above :wink:
Chemistry with a Year abroad. Not a gap year.

Cambridge, Imperial, Nottingham, Bristol and Cardiff atm.

I knew you'd say this.

I asked 100 potential medics what their honest reason was. 80 said one of the above :wink:

I meant a gap year after your course, because I know you want to do the Cambridge NatSci. Work experience in France or something.

Posted from TSR Mobile

Latest