The Student Room Group

PAT: 4th November 2015

Scroll to see replies

Original post by iscribbletoomuch
Yeah, fortunately I am doing my maths and physics subject tests, so the PAT is preparing me :biggrin:

I was in the same situation last month xD
Reply 61
Original post by theonetruequeen
Hey!

I'm pretty nervous though it's still 15 days away x_x What about you guys?

"log39=?log_3 9 = ? (2 marks)" ~ PAT, 2010.
This is really useful!! Thank you so much :smile:

Could you update us once 2014 solutions are uploaded?

Posted from TSR Mobile

Hi,

I've just added the 2014 video solutions (the final question is still encoding, but will be up in the next hour).

You can get 2014 here: https://youtu.be/ZN6S4L-EYNc?list=PLBb_6jpE41oIf65xkxBQeJpviwTjqvC4q

And the walkthroughs for 2010, 2011, 2012 and 2013 are at my website here: http://cowenphysics.com/oxford-pat/

If you find the videos helpful, please subscribe, like, share etc. My YouTube channel and website both contain revision resources for all AS and A Level exam boards.
Original post by ombtom
"log39=?log_3 9 = ? (2 marks)" ~ PAT, 2010.

It's more than 2 days away :redface: don't scare me mate
It's more than 2 days away :redface: don't scare me mate

2012 physics was a killer, the amount of sketching required is impossible
Original post by -Gifted-
2012 physics was a killer, the amount of sketching required is impossible

That paper is my Achilles' heel. I usually score 70-something marks from the other PAT papers, but I only got like 60 on the 2012 one bc of that long question. :colondollar:
Original post by hermionegrangcr
That paper is my Achilles' heel. I usually score 70-something marks from the other PAT papers, but I only got like 60 on the 2012 one bc of that long question. :colondollar:

I'll be the optimistic one and remind you that 20 markers won't be there this time around :tongue: are you applying for physics or something else?

Posted from TSR Mobile
I'll be the optimistic one and remind you that 20 markers won't be there this time around :tongue: are you applying for physics or something else?

Posted from TSR Mobile

Engineering. I am just relying on the fact that the cutoff is going to be slightly lower than that of physics. I got a 51 on the 2012 paper- so depressing. What are your scores like ?
Engineering. I am just relying on the fact that the cutoff is going to be slightly lower than that of physics. I got a 51 on the 2012 paper- so depressing. What are your scores like ?

Do you know how much lower the engineering cutoff marks tend to be in comparison to the physics cutoff marks?
Original post by longlive
Do you know how much lower the engineering cutoff marks tend to be in comparison to the physics cutoff marks?

I am not really sure, but reading the previous PAT threads it could be anything between 5 to 10 marks lower. But, I wouldn't really rely on that. I am trying to get as close to the physics cut off as possible.
That 2012 paper was a beast. How did everyone do on it? I only got 61 haha

Posted from TSR Mobile

Physics :biggrin:
Original post by MathsAstronomy12
That 2012 paper was a beast. How did everyone do on it? I only got 61 haha

I'm on your tea. But on the bright side, that paper's a very good practice :tongue:

Haha same here! It's keeping my hopes up, that the passing mark for us is lower :tongue: My scores are fluctuating between 50 and 60 so far (with around 35 in maths, phew) but I scored 71 on the specimen paper so that's been a bit reassuring. Haven't done the 2012 paper just yet, is it really that bad?
Reply 74
Thanks for your solution. I have a little doubt about the solution of part c) in the final question. The static friction force at the position of minimum radius r can reduce to zero (static friction is always between 0 and a maximum value). For this situation, centripetal force is provided fully by the tension T (the weight of m2 mass).

so m2g=m1rminw2 , here w is the angular speed.

Original post by mrcowentweets
Hi,

I've just added the 2014 video solutions (the final question is still encoding, but will be up in the next hour).

You can get 2014 here: https://youtu.be/ZN6S4L-EYNc?list=PLBb_6jpE41oIf65xkxBQeJpviwTjqvC4q

And the walkthroughs for 2010, 2011, 2012 and 2013 are at my website here: http://cowenphysics.com/oxford-pat/

If you find the videos helpful, please subscribe, like, share etc. My YouTube channel and website both contain revision resources for all AS and A Level exam boards.
(edited 8 years ago)
Original post by hermionegrangcr
I'm on your tea. But on the bright side, that paper's a very good practice :tongue:

True
Haha same here! It's keeping my hopes up, that the passing mark for us is lower :tongue: My scores are fluctuating between 50 and 60 so far (with around 35 in maths, phew) but I scored 71 on the specimen paper so that's been a bit reassuring. Haven't done the 2012 paper just yet, is it really that bad?

Need to do the specimen paper tomorrow. The 2012 paper is appallingly difficult, its 20 marker is simply cancerous. I think i got 2/20 on that :/
Need to do the specimen paper tomorrow. The 2012 paper is appallingly difficult, its 20 marker is simply cancerous. I think i got 2/20 on that :/

I agree it was difficult but have you done M3? I only ask because if you have, you'd notice that differentiating KE with respect to displacement = work done, ie the first question of sketching KE would be the integral of the function displaying the work done (e.g when the gradient of KE-displacement would be -10 between -10 to 0m, 0 at 10m therefore KE is a maximum from C3 and so on). Likewise for the second, differentiating velocity with respect to time = acceleration so its the same sort of procedure. Having said that, calculating the corresponding values on the graphs was challenging, especially without a calculator!
Original post by MathsAstronomy12
I agree it was difficult but have you done M3? I only ask because if you have, you'd notice that differentiating KE with respect to displacement = work done, ie the first question of sketching KE would be the integral of the function displaying the work done (e.g when the gradient of KE-displacement would be -10 between -10 to 0m, 0 at 10m therefore KE is a maximum from C3 and so on). Likewise for the second, differentiating velocity with respect to time = acceleration so its the same sort of procedure. Having said that, calculating the corresponding values on the graphs was challenging, especially without a calculator!

Unfortunately, I don't start M3 till December, I have only just finished M2 :/ But yes, I realised that you had to do the integral after :colondollar:. Hopefully, wednesdays paper has some nice physics questions in it.
Unfortunately, I don't start M3 till December, I have only just finished M2 :/ But yes, I realised that you had to do the integral after :colondollar:. Hopefully, wednesdays paper has some nice physics questions in it.

Haha personally I would like there to be more mechanics questions because I tend to do better in those, not to rub salt in your wounds though!

Quick Reply

Latest

Trending

Trending