The Student Room Group
Learning at Imperial College London
Imperial College London
London

Scroll to see replies

Reply 60
WHAT?!? A week or two? Unless you have an extra 1,000+ pounds lying around to spend on hotels, I suggest you arrive one or two days earlier. London is a very easy place to settle in, especially if you've lived in Hong Kong for a long time.

I would recommend buying most electronics (except printers) in Hong Kong before leaving. Remember that you have a baggage allowance on the plane, so buy wisely. Bulky items should be bought in London.

Halls only open on the 2nd, I think.

Oh yeah, if you really must have rice to eat every once in a while, a rice cooker is a must.
Learning at Imperial College London
Imperial College London
London
Reply 61
any ppl going to IC from Germany or France??

bonjour and Guten Tag!!!
Reply 62
whats like in the fresher week or any orientation thing?are there any camp or gathering that involved crazy ( i mean "wild") games?? i m from hong kong but then i arrived at london two dayz ago to familiar wif the envirnemnt.but hvn't bin to ICL yet!
Reply 63
today's the 28th AUGUST. You do know that Imperial only starts on the 2nd OCTOBER. Therefore, you're spending a month in London (in hotels?!?!). Either you're very rich, or you're just nuts...
Reply 64
Wow, CIS, how is London? Is it already freezing cold? Where are u staying? and what kinda stuff have you brought from home? I don know what to pack..
One or two days before Oct 2nd? Wouldn't it be too late to unpack everything and settle? Ah, I don know.
cloudnine
Wow, CIS, how is London? Is it already freezing cold? Where are u staying? and what kinda stuff have you brought from home? I don know what to pack..
One or two days before Oct 2nd? Wouldn't it be too late to unpack everything and settle? Ah, I don know.

You can't move in until Oct 2nd, so in effect you'd be lugging all your stuff around with you in london. Not to be recommended.
Reply 66
i am now living in a friend's home at southgate...and jus try to live as a tourist.prices here are more scary than in hk so i also guess it is not too wise to come here too early!!anyway, of coz it is much cooler here (much much cooler than hk)so i guess u dun hv to bring over your summer clothings..um...i brought over my laptop as well.n it has bin the most useful item:smile:
Hey ppl.
I'm half-Italian half-Swedish. But English is my mother tongue (it's a long story).
Gonna be doing some intense Computing action in October, getting my arse handed to myself for three years. But hell it's gonna be fun!
Reply 68
Will Piovano
Hey ppl.
I'm half-Italian half-Swedish. But English is my mother tongue (it's a long story).
Gonna be doing some intense Computing action in October, getting my arse handed to myself for three years. But hell it's gonna be fun!

Then relate your story :cool: I hope it sounds like story tales :biggrin:

frappucino
any ppl going to IC from Germany or France??

bonjour and Guten Tag!!!

Yeah my friend I'm French. "Bonjour comment ça va?"
Are you at Imperial for Computing? this year's gonna rock!!!^^
Reply 69
Poseidon
Then relate your story :cool: I hope it sounds like story tales :biggrin:

Yeah my friend I'm French. "Bonjour comment ça va?"
Are you at Imperial for Computing? this year's gonna rock!!!^^

non, je vais faire biomedical engineering. i'm not french though, but i've been working very hard these past 6 years to master your lingo!! so we will have to chat en francais. d'ac?

nice to meet you.
je parle un peux de francais. J'ai l'etudie a l'ecole (I don't fell like putting all the accents on)

Well, I shall summarize the story with a short diagram:
Mom: <Swedish> Hi, what's your name? </Swedish>
Dad: <Italian> I have no idea what you are saying. </Italian>
Mom: <English> You understand me now? </English>
Dad: <English> Ah, cool, now we can communicate! </English>

Tell me if you get it. ^^
Reply 71
so ure mother toungue is english. kinda.
Reply 72
Your parents can't communicate in their natural langauges, so they settled on English. Hence you speak English too, so you can speak to your parents.
Fyska wins!

Yep, that's right. So I speak English better than Italian and much better than Swedish.

Being our winner, you are awarded the special prize: a wax statue of a bald babboon. Please submit your address so that we can have it shipped to you.
Reply 74
this will guy has a really cunning way of getting chicks addresses
Reply 75
Will Piovano
Fyska wins!

Yep, that's right. So I speak English better than Italian and much better than Swedish.

Being our winner, you are awarded the special prize: a wax statue of a bald babboon. Please submit your address so that we can have it shipped to you.

w00teh. Thanks :wink:
*ahem* The address. :rolleyes:
Reply 77
Will Piovano
*ahem* The address. :rolleyes:

Ship it to IC, I'll pick it up then :P
Got screwed again. :frown:
That's your fault chaka!
Reply 79
Freeze77
ok, well, i know there are a lot of international students who'll go to Imperial. I'm from luxembourg so I would like to know some german or french people going to Imperial, perhaps even doing MSci Physics (with year in europe) as I do. I don't want to forget those languages by not using them any more. :wink: I know that i should improve my english as well as it is my 4. language but i think i couldn't survive the monotonie of using only one language a day.

/me me will come to Imperial. I'm from Germany but I'll do Mechanical Engineering (without year in europe :wink: ).

Latest

Trending

Trending