The Student Room Group

Scroll to see replies

Reply 780
Nu Ordah!!!!!!!!!!!!
If you openly declare a preference for McCain then you are a ****.

Why?
McCain would be an amazing president, Palin just screwed it up for him. Well on an international scale she did as most of the world just mock her however in America they love her and its America who will be voting very soon. :eek:
Reply 781
Nu Ordah!!!!!!!!!!!!
If you openly declare a preference for McCain then you are a ****.

Why don't the Democrats say this? They would surely win a landslide!
McCain doesnt actually throw mud at Obama himself, he gets his lapdog to do that for him.
McCain is, and always will be a symbol of America's past, quirky, adventurous, fierce, religious and in certain cases tragic. Obama I feel, is America's future, smart, speeches with reinforced compassion and a reformer. He also I feel has a hint of Roosevelt about him, especially with the speech referencing that the only thing to fear is fear itself, as well as Kennedy for many reasons.

I don't think McCain is a bad man, I don't think that all people who support McCain are "Bad People." I think that on the face of it his task was to big for him, rallying a party whose neoconservative line won them two elections (first was disputed) but now is extremely unpopular. And trying to convince prospective voters that the Republican Party has changed, yet trying to convince the neocons that it is still the same. The Democrats recognise this, and embodies this into their arguments that how could McCain be a Maverick if he votes with Bush 90% of the time?

I think this dillema is embodied in his choice of Sarah Palin, at face value a master-stroke at trying to satisfy both interests. A gun-toting "hocky-mum" who is a staunch christian, and also a woman, attracting supporters who simply wanted a female president.

However, once the press and the general public delve into it, you just see that it would never have worked from the start. That it evidently all points to the fact that McCain chose her to help win the election, not on her policies and abilities is fundamental.
Simply McCain would not even consider her if there was not a contest between Obama and Hilary Clinton. The whole TrooperGate scandel would have been very damaging, as well as her experience and history, something McCain and Clinton had attacked Obama on during the whole campaign.
I think that McCain took it as a gamble to big to miss out on, if he chose a neoconservative or an evangelical southerner, then he would have won the support of one type of voter whilst shunting out the other. If it was an evangelical he would have shut out the swing voters, many of whom are are dissillusioned with Obama, for sure. However if he chose a reformer, then it finishes with the evangelical right, a foundation stone for their victories over the past 8 years. So Palin was a choice that would play both sides along, hopefully till past election day.
I think that the campaign, past that went completely out of his hands, and leapt to Palin who over the past months played it beautifully, but then of course over the last couple of days it really blew up in their faces, the stumbling on the economic crises on which Palin did not know a single policy of McCain's in an interview, the troopergate scandel, which shows Palin did abuse the power on which she was given in Alaska, and then her whipping up mob mentality, increasing personal attacks.

The latter I don't like to think is too much of McCain's fault, sure it had been around for most of his campaign, but shyed away from playing on it too much. Maybe shown in the interview last week where he didn't mention Ayers, but that put him in a position so that he looked like he was shying away from it, and Obama attacked him for not accusing him face to face. However also shown when he refused to let religion become an issue. I had the most respect for him when he was correcting this lady who called Obama an Arab, how he respected him but disagreed with him on fundamental policy.

In short, McCain, not an evil man but could not play to this election between two very influential groups in this election, Palin came and although it was good at first, her antics really did cost him, and I don't forsee him winning this election.
Reply 786
Can anyone tell me what the presidential debate between Obama and McCain on the 09/10/08 was about? I missed it and i can't find it on the news anywhere. Thank you.

Tia xx
Tia111
Can anyone tell me what the presidential debate between Obama and McCain on the 09/10/08 was about? I missed it and i can't find it on the news anywhere. Thank you.

Tia xx

There was no debate on the ninth. :yy:
Reply 788
Sometimes I really love America (and China).

The sexy ‘This is Not Sarah Palin Inflatable Love Doll’ won’t debate you — and that’s a good thing. Her wide-open mouth doesn’t spew political bipartisanism because she’s just waiting for you to ‘drill baby, drill.’ Two other openings offer alternate ways to lay a pipeline in this Alaskan MILF.

“Topco Sales is also offering the blow-up doll as a stand-in for Palin during the next Biden/Palin vice presidential debate. The ‘This is Not Sarah Palin Inflatable Love Doll’ already has that moose-caught-in the headlight stare, and certainly knows more about foreign policy — having been manufactured in China and all,” says Desiree Duffie, Director of Marketing and Public Relations for Topco Sales.

http://actionnooz.com/news/?p=2011
TommyWannabe
If McCain and Palin win, then that is the truth.

When the winner gets announced, if it is old father time and the hockey mom, the whole of europe is going to breath a huge sigh in a collective 'God-dammit america.'

Who gives a **** what Europeans think. Europeans and their leftist policies have put them in a position of no power, and has castrated them to be nothing but sidekicks to either the Russian bear and the American Eagle.
One thing is certain. Obama's presidency is going to dissapoint alot of people.. The promises he's made and the state of the economy will prevent him from doing much at all. Raising taxes on those who create jobs isn't very clever either. For the economy, McCain would be better. As the states still is the engine of the world - we have seen it now as the crisis in the states spread around the world - their economy needs to be as strong as possible. A president that is one of the most leftist democrats around will not strenghten their, or our, economy. I would vote McCain to stabilize the economy, and in 4 years vote in a democrat, like Obama, or miles better, Hillary
cucumber sandwich
One thing is certain. Obama's presidency is going to dissapoint alot of people.. The promises he's made and the state of the economy will prevent him from doing much at all. Raising taxes on those who create jobs isn't very clever either. For the economy, McCain would be better. As the states still is the engine of the world - we have seen it now as the crisis in the states spread around the world - their economy needs to be as strong as possible. A president that is one of the most leftist democrats around will not strenghten their, or our, economy. I would vote McCain to stabilize the economy, and in 4 years vote in a democrat, like Obama, or miles better, Hillary

Makes a lot of sense, but I would disagree with the ending. 4 years of democrats in office are 4 years of annoyance for me :p:
PeeWeeDan
Who gives a **** what Europeans think. Europeans and their leftist policies have put them in a position of no power, and has castrated them to be nothing but sidekicks to either the Russian bear and the American Eagle.

Sorry mate but you are missing the point entirely, Europeans have a right to say their opinion because every decision in America effects all of us, for example, if Al Gore became president, then there would not be an Iraq War, and if there wasn't an Iraq war, out taxes and our men would be somewhere else, everything would be totally different, do you get my meaning?

Ignore it or not, we have good reason to voice our opinions on the elections, by your reasoning I could say. Who the **** cares what the Isreali's think. Israeli's and their military conflicts have put them in a position of little power in comparison to the big superpowers of America and Russia. Why should they even think of voicing their opinions on the American Elections.

Also don't generalise and say "American Eagle" or "Russian Bear" it is totally deregotory from the meanings they imply and from a different time.
magicbuspass
Sorry mate but you are missing the point entirely, Europeans have a right to say their opinion because every decision in America effects all of us, for example, if Al Gore became president, then there would not be an Iraq War, and if there wasn't an Iraq war, out taxes and our men would be somewhere else, everything would be totally different, do you get my meaning?

Ignore it or not, we have good reason to voice our opinions on the elections, by your reasoning I could say. Who the **** cares what the Isreali's think. Israeli's and their military conflicts have put them in a position of little power in comparison to the big superpowers of America and Russia. Why should they even think of voicing their opinions on the American Elections.

Also don't generalise and say "American Eagle" or "Russian Bear" it is totally deregotory from the meanings they imply and from a different time.

What I'm saying is not whether it affects the Europeans or not, that is not the point. What I'm saying is that Europeans cannot criticize the US for making what it perceives as being the wrong decision, because it's decisions have robbed it of all power. Therefore they are clearly not good decision makers, and their political decisions aren't to be applied to the US. Also I see no reason to not use the eagle and bear analogies. I don't know anyone who would find them even mildly offensive. I think most Americans are proud of the eagle metaphor... and well I don't know any Russians who aren't resentful of Russia :p:.
PeeWeeDan
What I'm saying is that Europeans cannot criticize the US for making what it perceives as being the wrong decision, because it's decisions have robbed it of all power. Therefore they are clearly not good decision makers, and their political decisions aren't to be applied to the US.

I don't know how you came to that conclusion. Despite the relative lack of resources and political cohesion, Europe remains the epitome of soft power and collectively have the largest economy in the world. Hardly the result of poor political decisions....
Captain Crash
I don't know how you came to that conclusion. Despite the relative lack of resources and political cohesion, Europe remains the epitome of soft power and collectively have the largest economy in the world. Hardly the result of poor political decisions....

You add the economic strength of enough countries and of course it is going to be big, hardly an achievement. No European power, nor the union, has any political power. The union is impotent because of disagreement, and the countries are weak because of their leftist stances.
PeeWeeDan
You add the economic strength of enough countries and of course it is going to be big, hardly an achievement. No European power, nor the union, has any political power. The union is impotent because of disagreement, and the countries are weak because of their leftist stances.

Collectively, Western Europe has a much greater economy than the US or any other equivalent sized area. Nowhere else can claim that so it is an achievement.

And as for political power, the EU holds far more soft (that is political and diplomatic) power than the US. The US doesn't hold the political hegemony it did under Clinton. The only power they hold now is the hard power of military threat. There's a reason why peaceful solutions to Iran are only coming from the EU and not the US.
Captain Crash
Collectively, Western Europe has a much greater economy than the US or any other equivalent sized area. Nowhere else can claim that so it is an achievement.

And as for political power, the EU holds far more soft (that is political and diplomatic) power than the US. The US doesn't hold the political hegemony it did under Clinton. The only power they hold now is the hard power of military threat. There's a reason why peaceful solutions to Iran are only coming from the EU and not the US.

You think so? I would argue the US still has this "soft power" it just has far more, and much more effective, power of fear. I mean the US could still push around Germany.
Reply 798
Captain Crash

You amalgamate an entire continent in order to establish economic superiority? Interesting tactic, no matter how devoid of any fundamental meaning it may be. I don't see the point in arguing over the amount of power a single nation, such as the United States, holds, or how that amount of power compares to that of twenty-seven nations in "union," I care more about positive results. Rational thinking would suggest that 27 > 1, but conventional wisdom is not so cut and dry on the matter.

The reason why peaceful solutions for Iran are largely coming from the EU, simply put, is W's Cowboy Diplomacy. America has greatly regressed in many facets throughout the past 8 years, and the handling of international relations is one of the largest failures of the Bush regime.

I don't foresee the US making the same mistakes with the upcoming Obama (:smile: )presidency.
USAhole
You amalgamate an entire continent in order to establish economic superiority? Interesting tactic, no matter how devoid of any fundamental meaning it may be. I don't see the point in arguing over the amount of power a single nation, such as the United States, holds, or how that amount of power compares to that of twenty-seven nations in "union," I care more about positive results. Rational thinking would suggest that 27 > 1, but conventional wisdom is not so cut and dry on the matter.

The reason why peaceful solutions for Iran are largely coming from the EU, simply put, is W's Cowboy Diplomacy. America has greatly regressed in many facets throughout the past 8 years, and the handling of international relations is one of the largest failures of the Bush regime.

I don't foresee the US making the same mistakes with the upcoming Obama (:smile: )presidency.

Really I was totally with you until there mate. GOP GOP GOP GOP :p:

Latest

Trending

Trending