Hey there! Sign in to join this conversationNew here? Join for free

ReputationRep:
    Hi guys..M totally new to th the students room but looking at other post m getting bit courage of staying in the field.M applying for Pgce this year.have an experience of 6.months in two schools and have MSc in environmental science.M from India,have booked a holiday for December because I haven't been home since 2years.the application date has been postponed to 21st m going for four weeks,coming back before nwyear. Any idea,will there be any problem in my application? I shall submit my application and book the skill test before going.

ReputationRep:
    I am a new member to TSR and an applicant for Pgce 2014.I have a masters in environmental science and experience of 6.months in primary nd secondary school for 6.months.I am from India and haven't been back home since 2years.unfortunately have booked a holiday for December. I plan to submitted application and book my skill test before going.Planning to get back before new year. Gus Plz guide me will there be any problem?? Coz the application process shall be on hold during Christmas holidays, Will my holiday affect any offers coming to me??u

ReputationRep:
    does anyone know the difference with teach first apart from being paid - is it much harder to get onto?

also on the experience section of the application do we have many words to write or just list where and when?

x

ReputationRep:
    Teach First is very competitive because it's salaried unlike PGCEs. Also, one of its aims is to provide under performing schools with high quality graduates, so the placements are much more challenging. In a way this means that anybody who has completed Teach First will be a highly desirable employee because they'll have had to adapt to a more difficult teaching environment during their training.

Posted from TSR Mobile

ReputationRep:
    Advice please!

For a Primary PGCE, i want to apply to Reading and Winchester. Reading is probably going to be harder to get into, but it is much better for me travel-wise as i'll be living at home (as well as being a better place to do it right?). So do i risk putting Reading as my first choice, and hope i get an interview, but on the other hand they could take the two weeks to reject me and by then Winchester would be less likely to offer me a place?

Hope that makes sense!

ReputationRep:
    Thought I'd join the fray... Looking for some advice on references.

I have the first reference sorted - my advisor of studies from my degree - but I can't decide who to use for the second reference. I've had two lovely ladies offer to help me out. One is an ex-primary teacher who I have volunteered with for the past year and a half. She is an instructor with the Riding for the Disabled Association and I help in five lessons a week. She regularly tells me how much she appreciates my help in her classes, that I am great with the children etc and I'm fairly certain she would give me a brilliant reference.

On the other hand, the head of the school where I am volunteering has also offered to provide a reference. She sits on the PGDE interview panel for a Scottish university so I feel her reference would ad some weight to my application. However although we have emailed back and forward I have only spoken to her in person once and have only spent four days in the school so far. She has passed on some good feedback from the teachers.

Essentially the choice is between a really genuine strong reference from a lady I have worked alongside for what will be almost two years and a good but less personal reference from someone higher up the ladder who has been fantastic but who doesn't know me as well. Thoughts anyone?

ReputationRep:
    (Original post by swarfliam)
    Advice please!

For a Primary PGCE, i want to apply to Reading and Winchester. Reading is probably going to be harder to get into, but it is much better for me travel-wise as i'll be living at home (as well as being a better place to do it right?). So do i risk putting Reading as my first choice, and hope i get an interview, but on the other hand they could take the two weeks to reject me and by then Winchester would be less likely to offer me a place?

Hope that makes sense!
    The system has changed this year so that your application gets sent to all of your choices at the same time, unlike previous years when the applications were only passed to your second or third choices in the event of rejections. It means that you might get offered multiple interviews which you'll have to prepare for (and potentially multiple offers to choose between) but at least it's fairer in that there's no 'risking' or 'gambling' involved in picking your choices, so don't worry about whether I not you're likely to get into Reading, just apply to where you want to train and hope for the best.

Posted from TSR Mobile

ReputationRep:
    (Original post by danisolo)
    Thought I'd join the fray... Looking for some advice on references.

I have the first reference sorted - my advisor of studies from my degree - but I can't decide who to use for the second reference. I've had two lovely ladies offer to help me out. One is an ex-primary teacher who I have volunteered with for the past year and a half. She is an instructor with the Riding for the Disabled Association and I help in five lessons a week. She regularly tells me how much she appreciates my help in her classes, that I am great with the children etc and I'm fairly certain she would give me a brilliant reference.

On the other hand, the head of the school where I am volunteering has also offered to provide a reference. She sits on the PGDE interview panel for a Scottish university so I feel her reference would ad some weight to my application. However although we have emailed back and forward I have only spoken to her in person once and have only spent four days in the school so far. She has passed on some good feedback from the teachers.

Essentially the choice is between a really genuine strong reference from a lady I have worked alongside for what will be almost two years and a good but less personal reference from someone higher up the ladder who has been fantastic but who doesn't know me as well. Thoughts anyone?
    Both sound like they'd give you pretty strong references to be honest, but I think I'd go with the second. It might not be quite as strong as the first one you mentioned, but it still sounds very good and will give universities an idea of how you perform in a specifically educational setting. But that's just my opinion.

Posted from TSR Mobile

ReputationRep:
    (Original post by siffatsaad)
    I am a new member to TSR and an applicant for Pgce 2014.I have a masters in environmental science and experience of 6.months in primary nd secondary school for 6.months.I am from India and haven't been back home since 2years.unfortunately have booked a holiday for December. I plan to submitted application and book my skill test before going.Planning to get back before new year. Gus Plz guide me will there be any problem?? Coz the application process shall be on hold during Christmas holidays, Will my holiday affect any offers coming to me??u
    That would entirely depend on when the university your applying to is planing to hold interviews. Some will likely be held in December, therefore you could miss them.

ReputationRep:
    (Original post by amul1992)
    Teach First is very competitive because it's salaried unlike PGCEs. Also, one of its aims is to provide under performing schools with high quality graduates, so the placements are much more challenging. In a way this means that anybody who has completed Teach First will be a highly desirable employee because they'll have had to adapt to a more difficult teaching environment during their training.

Posted from TSR Mobile
    You'd think so, but I've heard many schools and teachers have a dislike of teach first because it just throws trainees in the deep end and doesn't help them develop as teachers.

ReputationRep:
    (Original post by Shelly_x)
    You'd think so, but I've heard many schools and teachers have a dislike of teach first because it just throws trainees in the deep end and doesn't help them develop as teachers.
    Good point. It just seems like a tool to send high quality graduates to work with challenged schools.

ReputationRep:
    (Original post by Shelly_x)
    (Original post by Juichiro)
    Good point. It just seems like a tool to send high quality graduates to work with challenged schools.
    I think it depends on the school and what they're looking for. Plus, on the trainee and their style. For instance, I know that SCITT wouldn't have suited me - I needed the good grounding in theory and the support of the PGCE team. But for others that doesn't suit them. I think it's more important that the route the trainee takes is the one for them, rather than one specific route being desirable (as they all have pros and cons).

Although, IIRC, many Teach First trainees don't go in to teaching afterwards (and certainly there is no pressure/obligation to do so). Many use it as a career boosting/skill building experience. It also has that air of 'fast tracking to leadership' which I personally don't think is a good path to head down, as we could end up with lots of people 'managing' schools who've had very little experience of actually being teachers (Pretty much running schools like private businesses)!

xxx

ReputationRep:
    (Original post by Airfairy)
    Ah, I take it you must be primary then? Because their secondary requirements are really low (5 days), which is one reason I'm applying I noticed in the leaflet about exp that the primary section had a lot of requirements.
    Where do they say that?

ReputationRep:
    (Original post by kpwxx)
    I think it depends on the school and what they're looking for. Plus, on the trainee and their style. For instance, I know that SCITT wouldn't have suited me - I needed the good grounding in theory and the support of the PGCE team. But for others that doesn't suit them. I think it's more important that the route the trainee takes is the one for them, rather than one specific route being desirable (as they all have pros and cons).

Although, IIRC, many Teach First trainees don't go in to teaching afterwards (and certainly there is no pressure/obligation to do so). Many use it as a career boosting/skill building experience. It also has that air of 'fast tracking to leadership' which I personally don't think is a good path to head down, as we could end up with lots of people 'managing' schools who've had very little experience of actually being teachers (Pretty much running schools like private businesses)!

xxx
    Well, I think Michael Gove has very little if any experience of being a teacher. Yet he is the one in charge of the future of British schools.

ReputationRep:
    Well, I think Michael Gove has very little if any experience of being a teacher. Yet he is the one in charge of the future of British schools.
    Perhaps explains why he is supportive of the leadership thing!

Though to be fair, while I think an experienced person would be good for the role, I think the main issue is that he shouldn't actually be making any choices based on his own ideas/experiences. His job, as education secretary, is to gather information from loads of different sources including all interested parties, ensure that this is collected accurately and fairly, and analyse it to decide which route to take based on EVIDENCE.

xxx

ReputationRep:
    Where do they say that?
    Here.

It just says "It is advisable to complete five days work experience." under secondary.

ReputationRep:
    thanks shelly.

ReputationRep:
    i was just thinking about the personal statement.Do we discuss all the points in it and than in the interview can we elaborate them??or we should keep some stuff to b presented only in the interview?

ReputationRep:
    Some Unis open their offers in December but are there any processes being carried during the Christmas break?

ReputationRep:
    (Original post by siffatsaad)
    i was just thinking about the personal statement.Do we discuss all the points in it and than in the interview can we elaborate them??or we should keep some stuff to b presented only in the interview?
    It's not so much a case of keeping stuff back for interview, more that there will never be room in the PS to talk about everything. Plus some things lend themselves to being spoken about over written about. So I'd list the things then decide which ones you'd rather explain in person then focus on the others for your PS.

Xxx
    Posted from TSR Mobile

• See more of what you like on The Student Room

You can personalise what you see on TSR. Tell us a little about yourself to get started.

• Poll
    Have you ever participated in a Secret Santa?
  • See more of what you like on The Student Room

You can personalise what you see on TSR. Tell us a little about yourself to get started.

• The Student Room, Get Revising and Marked by Teachers are trading names of The Student Room Group Ltd.

Register Number: 04666380 (England and Wales), VAT No. 806 8067 22 Registered Office: International House, Queens Road, Brighton, BN1 3XE

Quick reply
    Reputation gems: You get these gems as you gain rep from other members for making good contributions and giving helpful advice.