The Student Room Group

Scroll to see replies

Original post by Shelly_x
You'd think so, but I've heard many schools and teachers have a dislike of teach first because it just throws trainees in the deep end and doesn't help them develop as teachers.

Good point. It just seems like a tool to send high quality graduates to work with challenged schools.
Reply 801
Original post by Shelly_x
You'd think so, but I've heard many schools and teachers have a dislike of teach first because it just throws trainees in the deep end and doesn't help them develop as teachers.

Original post by Juichiro
Good point. It just seems like a tool to send high quality graduates to work with challenged schools.

I think it depends on the school and what they're looking for. Plus, on the trainee and their style. For instance, I know that SCITT wouldn't have suited me - I needed the good grounding in theory and the support of the PGCE team. But for others that doesn't suit them. I think it's more important that the route the trainee takes is the one for them, rather than one specific route being desirable (as they all have pros and cons).

Although, IIRC, many Teach First trainees don't go in to teaching afterwards (and certainly there is no pressure/obligation to do so). Many use it as a career boosting/skill building experience. It also has that air of 'fast tracking to leadership' which I personally don't think is a good path to head down, as we could end up with lots of people 'managing' schools who've had very little experience of actually being teachers (Pretty much running schools like private businesses)!

xxx
Original post by Airfairy
Ah, I take it you must be primary then? Because their secondary requirements are really low (5 days), which is one reason I'm applying :tongue: I noticed in the leaflet about exp that the primary section had a lot of requirements.

Where do they say that?
Original post by kpwxx
I think it depends on the school and what they're looking for. Plus, on the trainee and their style. For instance, I know that SCITT wouldn't have suited me - I needed the good grounding in theory and the support of the PGCE team. But for others that doesn't suit them. I think it's more important that the route the trainee takes is the one for them, rather than one specific route being desirable (as they all have pros and cons).

Although, IIRC, many Teach First trainees don't go in to teaching afterwards (and certainly there is no pressure/obligation to do so). Many use it as a career boosting/skill building experience. It also has that air of 'fast tracking to leadership' which I personally don't think is a good path to head down, as we could end up with lots of people 'managing' schools who've had very little experience of actually being teachers (Pretty much running schools like private businesses)!

xxx

Well, I think Michael Gove has very little if any experience of being a teacher. Yet he is the one in charge of the future of British schools.
Reply 804
Well, I think Michael Gove has very little if any experience of being a teacher. Yet he is the one in charge of the future of British schools.

Perhaps explains why he is supportive of the leadership thing!

Though to be fair, while I think an experienced person would be good for the role, I think the main issue is that he shouldn't actually be making any choices based on his own ideas/experiences. His job, as education secretary, is to gather information from loads of different sources including all interested parties, ensure that this is collected accurately and fairly, and analyse it to decide which route to take based on EVIDENCE.

xxx
Where do they say that?

Here.

It just says "It is advisable to complete five days work experience." under secondary.
thanks shelly.
i was just thinking about the personal statement.Do we discuss all the points in it and than in the interview can we elaborate them??or we should keep some stuff to b presented only in the interview?
Some Unis open their offers in December but are there any processes being carried during the Christmas break?
Reply 809
Original post by siffatsaad
i was just thinking about the personal statement.Do we discuss all the points in it and than in the interview can we elaborate them??or we should keep some stuff to b presented only in the interview?

It's not so much a case of keeping stuff back for interview, more that there will never be room in the PS to talk about everything. Plus some things lend themselves to being spoken about over written about. So I'd list the things then decide which ones you'd rather explain in person then focus on the others for your PS.

Xxx
Posted from TSR Mobile
Reply 810
I've found out I've got a week off uni in a couple of weeks - do you think it's too late to ask the primary school near me if I could do some observation/experience then?
Also I see everyone is talking references - I don't have a clue who to use for mine, my employers don't know me well enough and there's no staff member at uni who knows me well enough either - the only references I have on my existing CV are my sixth form teacher who last taught me 2 years ago, and a lady who worked at the library I volunteered at 3 years ago :frown:
Original post by -aimz
I've found out I've got a week off uni in a couple of weeks - do you think it's too late to ask the primary school near me if I could do some observation/experience then?
Also I see everyone is talking references - I don't have a clue who to use for mine, my employers don't know me well enough and there's no staff member at uni who knows me well enough either - the only references I have on my existing CV are my sixth form teacher who last taught me 2 years ago, and a lady who worked at the library I volunteered at 3 years ago :frown:

Speak to your personal tutor at uni and they are normally happy to do a reference, but obviously they'll need guidance as they don't know you very well. I had to use my personal tutor for my placement reference so I asked her and she arranged a meeting to talk about it. I walked in and she just asked me what I wanted her to say.
Reply 812
Original post by -aimz

Always worth asking, you never know. They may well go on half term next week though (depends where you live) so contact them today.

Xxx

Posted from TSR Mobile
Reply 813
do the three unis know which order you are applying in?
Is it just me... or does the opening date for the applications on the GTTR website keep changing?
Original post by BeckiiAnne
Is it just me... or does the opening date for the applications on the GTTR website keep changing?

As far as I'm aware it's only changed once, from the 1st November to the 21st.
Reply 816
Original post by Kk2k13
do the three unis know which order you are applying in?

Afaik it will be like undergrad, so you won't apply In an order, you'll just apply to three, and none of them will see where/if else you've applied.

They may deduce it though from your personal statement, or from links eg if you apply to a scitt at a school they are partnered with. However, I don't think they would hold it against you for applying to multiple places.

Xxx

Posted from TSR Mobile
Original post by amul1992
The system has changed this year so that your application gets sent to all of your choices at the same time, unlike previous years when the applications were only passed to your second or third choices in the event of rejections. It means that you might get offered multiple interviews which you'll have to prepare for (and potentially multiple offers to choose between) but at least it's fairer in that there's no 'risking' or 'gambling' involved in picking your choices, so don't worry about whether I not you're likely to get into Reading, just apply to where you want to train and hope for the best.

Posted from TSR Mobile

Where'd you find that info sorry?
Reply 818
We can now book our skills test!

Just out of curiosity I thought I'd check and was greeted with this message!

"Applicants for courses that begin in academic year 2014/15 can now book to take the skills tests."

http://www.education.gov.uk/schools/careers/traininganddevelopment/professional/b00211200/registration

PS do we have to pay for the tests? I registered and can only see booking options that involve paying...

ALSO!

"The Department for Education will not be bringing in new tests" -
http://www.education.gov.uk/schools/careers/traininganddevelopment/professional/b00212154/introduction/reforms
(edited 10 years ago)
Reply 819
Original post by LaurieLee
We can now book our skills test!

Just out of curiosity I thought I'd check and was greeted with this message!

"Applicants for courses that begin in academic year 2014/15 can now book to take the skills tests."

http://www.education.gov.uk/schools/careers/traininganddevelopment/professional/b00211200/registration

PS do we have to pay for the tests? I registered and can only see booking options that involve paying...

They are ridiculously expensive!! Why aren't they free

Posted from TSR Mobile

Latest

Trending

Trending