The Student Room Group

Scroll to see replies

Guys, I need some quick clarification.
What's a method that always works to know when to use the biased/unbiased estimator for our calculations in Stats?
http://maxpapers.com/wp-content/uploads/2012/11/9231_s13_qp_21.pdf The very very last question, on Statistics (bottom of the pdf), the 8 marker. Because it's a small sample, I thought I had to use the unbiased estimator. But in the mark scheme they used the biased estimator. Anyone please clarify why?

(I know this belongs in the Maths thread but I really really need to understand it ASAP).
Original post by Red Fox
First week of the holidays has been wasted:lol:, I really need to do some past papers next week.

True! Virtually the only thing I've done this holiday so far is watch Code Geass. Pretty sure I've forgotten all my maths.
Original post by NikolaT
True! Virtually the only thing I've done this holiday so far is watch Code Geass. Pretty sure I've forgotten all my maths.

Can't blame you, it's a great show. I've wasted another day today though, I really should start tomorrow.
Original post by Red Fox
Can't blame you, it's a great show. I've wasted another day today though, I really should start tomorrow.

tsktsk

Original post by keromedic
tsktsk

Errrr biology:puke:
Original post by Red Fox
Errrr biology:puke:

Interestingly enough, the chemistry I was just doing was about amino acids :lol:.
Interestingly enough, the chemistry I was just doing was about amino acids :lol:.

These days I have a similar reaction to chemistry as the above one to biology. Amino acids aren't too bad though, all we have to do is join them up as a polymer I think.
Original post by Red Fox
These days I have a similar reaction to chemistry as the above one to biology. Amino acids aren't too bad though, all we have to do is join them up as a polymer I think.

Yea, define zwitter ion and draw how it changes in alkaline or acidic conditions.
Yea, define zwitter ion and draw how it changes in alkaline or acidic conditions.

Oh yeah fairly simple stuff. My attendance is like 80% lol, I've missed a lot of lessons for chem especially but I cba to go over it. I'll get around to it eventually but I'm actually finding unit 4 (organic) quite hard at the moment.
Original post by Red Fox
Oh yeah fairly simple stuff. My attendance is like 80% lol, I've missed a lot of lessons for chem especially but I cba to go over it. I'll get around to it eventually but I'm actually finding unit 4 (organic) quite hard at the moment.

Not too bad. Just don't get behind. It's easy too when you're missing college. Look at me, though I had other stuff going on so guess it's different.
I have insomnia due to medication and it's making me so tired that I can't even study for my exams which start on the 13th May. :frown: I'm gonna fail.
Original post by CescaD96
I have insomnia due to medication and it's making me so tired that I can't even study for my exams which start on the 13th May. :frown: I'm gonna fail.

Maybe try to study at night when you can't sleep? Switch up your timetable maybe

I've had problems with sleep and I think, even just closing your eyes and relaxing is rest enough.

So do that when you're feeling tired, trying not to think too much.

Also, if you want to revise, maybe just close your eyes and go through the syllabus in your head, seeing if you can remember the content. Or if languages, think in that language and when you don't know a word, remember to look it up asap.
Original post by binarythoughts
Maybe try to study at night when you can't sleep? Switch up your timetable maybe

I'm far too tired to concentrate; I tried it this morning (I've been awake since midnight) and I kept reading over the same line again and again. This is so frustrating.
Original post by L'Evil Fish
I've had problems with sleep and I think, even just closing your eyes and relaxing is rest enough.

So do that when you're feeling tired, trying not to think too much.

Also, if you want to revise, maybe just close your eyes and go through the syllabus in your head, seeing if you can remember the content. Or if languages, think in that language and when you don't know a word, remember to look it up asap.

I have to learn off essay plans and scholars, and it's pretty horrible. But thanks. :smile:

Can't you take sleeping pills? Might be worth talking to your GP about the possibility and confirm there won't be any bad drug interactions. It's not uncommon to take multiple meds to combat unwelcome side effects.
Can't you take sleeping pills? Might be worth talking to your GP about the possibility and confirm there won't be any bad drug interactions. It's not uncommon to take multiple meds to combat unwelcome side effects.

I have a review about my medication on Thursday and I will ask about that. But there might be a chance that it could have a negative effect. It's all just so frustrating because I'm usually prepared by now for my exams, and I'm predicted AAA and I'll be really upset if I don't get that because I'm a perfectionist when it comes to school.
I have to learn off essay plans and scholars, and it's pretty horrible. But thanks. :smile:

Perhaps have them recorded and just listen to it when you have your eyes closed?
I have a review about my medication on Thursday and I will ask about that. But there might be a chance that it could have a negative effect. It's all just so frustrating because I'm usually prepared by now for my exams, and I'm predicted AAA and I'll be really upset if I don't get that because I'm a perfectionist when it comes to school.

Exercise to tire yourself out and meditation to help with any anxiety might help.

You have my sympathies.
Original post by L'Evil Fish
Perhaps have them recorded and just listen to it when you have your eyes closed?

That's a good idea.

Exercise to tire yourself out and meditation to help with any anxiety might help.

You have my sympathies.

Thank you, you're very kind. :smile: It's my fault for starting this medication now though but I was practically told to.

Latest