Hey there! Sign in to join this conversationNew here? Join for free

ReputationRep:
    (Original post by Descartes93)
    Hi guys,

I'm completely new to TSR, but I have been avidly following this thread from the beginning! I'm planning to apply for the PGCE in Secondary English this year, but after reading this thread and the brilliant people on it, I'm slightly worried that my experience is not deep enough.

So far I have:

- Worked as a nursery assistant/nursery nurse for 2 weeks for children aged 0 - 5
    - Worked in another nursery (ages 3 - 5) for four months
    - Was part of a university charity organisation that provided free tutoring/mentoring to underprivileged students for 16 weeks in a primary school and 5 weeks in a secondary school
    - Have taught various languages to adults and children
    - Completed 5 days in a secondary school for "observation" and I'm going back in December to complete another 2 weeks, as part of a university module
    - After this half term, I have 7 days lined up at another secondary school.

I don't know if most of this is relevant to doing a PGCE secondary English course? Please can anyone advise/re-assure me, as the more I read this thread, the less confident I become in myself!
    You seem like you have plenty of experience, and spending time in different types of school is actually really beneficial. It gives you an understanding of what children will be learning before they come to you, and shows that you've made an informed choice about the age range you're teaching. Try not to worry! Experience isn't everything.

ReputationRep:
    (Original post by alabelle)
    You seem like you have plenty of experience, and spending time in different types of school is actually really beneficial. It gives you an understanding of what children will be learning before they come to you, and shows that you've made an informed choice about the age range you're teaching. Try not to worry! Experience isn't everything.
    Thanks alabelle! In response to your previous post re searching for uni courses - all I've done is search my course in Google, seen the universities that have come up and just praying that they'll still be there when UCAS opens! Most of them should be though, as many of these universities have been offering these courses for years. Hope that helps you somewhat, and good luck with the application!

ReputationRep:
    (Original post by Descartes93)
    Thanks alabelle! In response to your previous post re searching for uni courses - all I've done is search my course in Google, seen the universities that have come up and just praying that they'll still be there when UCAS opens! Most of them should be though, as many of these universities have been offering these courses for years. Hope that helps you somewhat, and good luck with the application!
    Thanks. Yeah, that's been my approach too. Most universities seem to have updated their course descriptions for 2013/14 by now so it should all be the same. Good luck to you too!

ReputationRep:
    Unfortunately I won't know which universities I'm applying to til the last minute.
    Thanks for your advice, though. I don't know why I thought that it would be out of date, I just seem to remember reading somewhere that anything before undergrad was irrelevant. Probably wrong. It's got to be worth listing anyway.
    I'm assuming you're talking about work experience with the out of date thing, but I have read somewhere that experience should have been in the last two years, but I'd put it down anyway tbh! I can't remember where I read it though, sorry. Whether it as a specific uni that said that rather than a general policy.

Posted from TSR Mobile

ReputationRep:
    (Original post by Airfairy)
    Ah, I see! I was interested in social science - the one at man met. How much experience did you have last year? Good luck with this years application!

Posted from TSR Mobile
    I applied and interviewed for that course last year! I had just over 2 years teaching assistant experience last year and some sociology observations by the time I interviewed.

x

ReputationRep:
    (Original post by amymcjohnson)
    I applied and interviewed for that course last year! I had just over 2 years teaching assistant experience last year and some sociology observations by the time I interviewed.

x
    Oh man, you'd think that would be an ideal application! I don't think I would have stood a chance on that course then. I hope it works out for you this year. Have you decided what you're applying for, and where, yet?

ReputationRep:
    How does everyone feel about experience completed prior to postgrad? I applied to Primary Education the first time round so I spent an afternoon each week for about six months in a reception class. The experience is three years old but it was useful so should I include it somewhere? Not sure if there'll be a section to list work experience in the new system, or if it's just personal statements we can discuss it in. Either way, is it 'out of date' experience? My family have had some trouble with the school lately (nothing to do with me, haha) and have recently moved a child elsewhere so a reference is out of the question too.
    Its not out of date as in not useful, and you should definitely put it in the experience section and reflect on it if you have something good to say/enough space.

However, I think most unis will need you to have more recent experience. I know mine needed it to be in the last year. The reason for this is because education changes so rapidly they want to know you've had experience of what its like at the moment. I mean, just think... 3 years ago Michael Gove had only just got in! Of course it tends to cycle over a period of years but still, they want to see you know what you're letting yourself in for right now.

Xxx

Posted from TSR Mobile

ReputationRep:
    Hi Guys,

I'm applying for a PGCE starting 2014 from Australia and am completely confused as to the application procedure. I have had my personal statement written for months and referees ready to go but with this new system it seems as though no one fully understands the process. Given that I will have to fly over from Australia if offered an interview I was wondering is a likely date for first round interviews. I don't finish my degree until the 25th of January and therefore the earliest I can be in the UK is the 26th if I leave immediately after my final undergraduate exam. I am also worried that my degree is not specific enough. I wish to do a PGCE in secondary Geography and am completing a Bachelor of Business in Environmental Sustainability and have chosen Geography electives.

Finally, some websites state that your experience should be in the UK. I have a lot of experience but it is not in the UK and i'm worried that this will reduce my likelihood of being offered an interview. Given that i'm Australian do you think that this will not be such an issue. I have tired hard to find another Aussie applying for PGCE or a Graduate from Australia who did their PGCE in the UK but I have had no luck.

Hope everyone's application is going well! Cant wait to join you all over in the UK in January.

ReputationRep:
    (Original post by kpwxx)
    Its not out of date as in not useful, and you should definitely put it in the experience section and reflect on it if you have something good to say/enough space.

However, I think most unis will need you to have more recent experience. I know mine needed it to be in the last year. The reason for this is because education changes so rapidly they want to know you've had experience of what its like at the moment. I mean, just think... 3 years ago Michael Gove had only just got in! Of course it tends to cycle over a period of years but still, they want to see you know what you're letting yourself in for right now.

Xxx

Posted from TSR Mobile
    I do have more recent experience as well. I have five days in a primary school in June, I'm going back there next week for another five days, and I'm doing ten days in a different school in January. So hopefully that should be enough!

ReputationRep:
    (Original post by aussie1991)
    Hi Guys,

I'm applying for a PGCE starting 2014 from Australia and am completely confused as to the application procedure. I have had my personal statement written for months and referees ready to go but with this new system it seems as though no one fully understands the process. Given that I will have to fly over from Australia if offered an interview I was wondering is a likely date for first round interviews. I don't finish my degree until the 25th of January and therefore the earliest I can be in the UK is the 26th if I leave immediately after my final undergraduate exam. I am also worried that my degree is not specific enough. I wish to do a PGCE in secondary Geography and am completing a Bachelor of Business in Environmental Sustainability and have chosen Geography electives.

Finally, some websites state that your experience should be in the UK. I have a lot of experience but it is not in the UK and i'm worried that this will reduce my likelihood of being offered an interview. Given that i'm Australian do you think that this will not be such an issue. I have tired hard to find another Aussie applying for PGCE or a Graduate from Australia who did their PGCE in the UK but I have had no luck.

Hope everyone's application is going well! Cant wait to join you all over in the UK in January.
    I think you're best off speaking to the universities you're applying to. If you're offered an unsuitable date for an interview I'm sure they will offer you an alternative. I know they definitely do for undergrad. As for experience, your degree, etc... only the universities can tell you that for sure. Good luck though!

ReputationRep:
    I've been led to believe by my uni that we won't be able to search UTT until the 21st. However, they also emailed us today to say that we might not be able to book our skills tests until mid-November, so I'd take that with a pinch of salt, considering I've already booked mine...
    Ahh that sucks then ! It doesn't sound like anyone knows really ! How have you booked them then? The skills tests confuse me! I'm from wales and will be applying here as my first choice. At the moment wales doesn't do the tests and students who started 2013 haven't sat them to gain a place on the course. Are these tests coming to wales for 2014 entry? I know that if I apply to english unis I'll have the sit them, but at the moment no one can actually give me an answer / google isn't that helpful either.

ReputationRep:
    I do have more recent experience as well. I have five days in a primary school in June, I'm going back there next week for another five days, and I'm doing ten days in a different school in January. So hopefully that should be enough!
    That's good then! The older experience is sure to have given you good stuff to think about and still be relevant, and tbh even if it was completely different it would still give you good educational ideas to reflect on

Xxx

Posted from TSR Mobile

ReputationRep:
    (Original post by JosephineE)
    Ahh that sucks then ! It doesn't sound like anyone knows really ! How have you booked them then? The skills tests confuse me! I'm from wales and will be applying here as my first choice. At the moment wales doesn't do the tests and students who started 2013 haven't sat them to gain a place on the course. Are these tests coming to wales for 2014 entry? I know that if I apply to english unis I'll have the sit them, but at the moment no one can actually give me an answer / google isn't that helpful either.
    I don't remember reading anything that says the tests are coming to Wales. They're not making any changes to the tests now as far as I know.

I booked mine through the website, they're letting you register and book them now. If you're applying here you should book yours soon so you can sit them prior to interviews.

ReputationRep:
    That's what I thought and no one around here seems to think so ! Applying in england is my second choice, so I'll sit them once I know whether or not I've got in to a uni in wales. Have you done the practice tests? The maths one is so hard !

You know now the applications are done through ucas are they still the same as gttr, in the way that one application goes to one provider at a time? or do they all get sent out at the same time?

ReputationRep:
    I thought the applications were going to open in 1st November. That's today but I don't see any open applications!

ReputationRep:
    That's what I thought and no one around here seems to think so ! Applying in england is my second choice, so I'll sit them once I know whether or not I've got in to a uni in wales. Have you done the practice tests? The maths one is so hard !

You know now the applications are done through ucas are they still the same as gttr, in the way that one application goes to one provider at a time? or do they all get sent out at the same time?
    Nope. The changes this year are that
    a) the name has changed from gttr to utt
    b) you now apply to multiple places at once if you wish, similar to how undergrad is done only you get three choices instead of five, no preference order

I believe that if you are rejected from all three you can then go on to apply to more places one at a time like last year, but I may have remembered this wrongly so don't rely on it.

(Original post by Dragonfly07)
    I thought the applications were going to open in 1st November. That's today but I don't see any open applications!
    It has changed to 21st Nov.

Xxx

Posted from TSR Mobile

ReputationRep:
    (Original post by kpwxx)
    Nope. The changes this year are that
    a) the name has changed from gttr to utt
    b) you now apply to multiple places at once if you wish, similar to how undergrad is done only you get three choices instead of five, no preference order

I believe that if you are rejected from all three you can then go on to apply to more places one at a time like last year, but I may have remembered this wrongly so don't rely on it.

It has changed to 21st Nov.

Xxx

Posted from TSR Mobile
    I can't find out if I need to do it through UCAS or GTTR. do you have any idea?

ReputationRep:
    Has anyone else noticed that you can now search for courses on the ucas website for pgce? I was told not until the 4th for searching and 21st for applying but I was just reading up on the application process and I found lists of courses for 2014 ?

ReputationRep:
    Has anyone else noticed that you can now search for courses on the ucas website for pgce? I was told not until the 4th for searching and 21st for applying but I was just reading up on the application process and I found lists of courses for 2014 ?
    Have you got a link? It still says search on the 21st for me, but I'm probably not looking in the right place.

ReputationRep:
    Sure it's http://search.gttr.ac.uk/cgi-bin/hsr...rch.HsForm.run
    It says that courses can be added, I know a lot of the ones I wanted aren't on there yet and they are deffo running it next year.

• See more of what you like on The Student Room

You can personalise what you see on TSR. Tell us a little about yourself to get started.

• Poll
    Would you rather give up salt or pepper?
  • See more of what you like on The Student Room

You can personalise what you see on TSR. Tell us a little about yourself to get started.

• The Student Room, Get Revising and Marked by Teachers are trading names of The Student Room Group Ltd.

Register Number: 04666380 (England and Wales), VAT No. 806 8067 22 Registered Office: International House, Queens Road, Brighton, BN1 3XE

Write a reply...
    Hide
    Reputation gems: You get these gems as you gain rep from other members for making good contributions and giving helpful advice.