The Student Room Group

SCITT/Schools Direct 2015

Scroll to see replies

Also, found this link on another SD page.....

http://westthorntonta.org.uk/school-direct-blog

It is really interesting to get an insight into a SD programme and I have downloaded a couple of the books they refer to which are also really interesting.

Posted from TSR Mobile
Hi, I have had my school direct interview today and got a phonecall earlier on. However I was at work so I now have to wait....finding it very difficult lol
Original post by Melly123456
Hi, I have had my school direct interview today and got a phonecall earlier on. However I was at work so I now have to wait....finding it very difficult lol

Oh no!!!! Hope they phone back soon xxx
Good luck xx

Posted from TSR Mobile
Hi,

They phoned the next day and I got an offer!!! :-) now have to choose SD or PGCE???

Thank you x
Ooh that is fantastic!
What reasons do you have for and against each?
I am really pleased I have chosen the SD route, this was strengthened further at an open day last week which my lead school put on. But I can see why the traditional uni route is best for some.
What experience do you have of school / what work experience in general?

Posted from TSR Mobile
Thank you.

I have researched both both and there seems to be pros and cons for both, for example-SD you start straight away and get to build those important relationships and become a valued team member. In the PGCE it is more gradual but research suggests that this option allows you to reflect on practice away from the setting and build key knowledge from being at uni more, but you could argue you get a realistic view in SD.
I loved my PGCE interview, not so much the SD (although I have another on the 26th) I didn't like the process, straight in two tests , no greeting, late and lots of hanging around.
I have put in for advanced early years - PGCE have accepted this but SD want me to do general primary.
I am a TA in a primary school working in mixed age reception and year 1. Been there nearly 5 years. Prior to this I was a deputy supervisor at a pre school setting for 3 years. The headteacher where I work has asked me if I will consider the school to be one of my placements which the PGCE would allow because I do love it there.
So as you can see lots to think about -you are right some routes work better for others. It's such a big decision I want to make the right one :-/ x
In your situation I would go for PGCE. Having read the thread of current students who get placed where they don't feel comfortable, accepted or happy, being offered the chance to be placed where you know you feel all of these things is worth it's weight in gold!
Also you would be at an advantage with already understanding the culture of the school.
In addition, I too am doing early years. I considered general primary but visits to schools convinced me I didn't want to go down that route and would only do EY.
I love uni and the theory so wouldn't be against uni route....only did my degree 2010-2014 (EY leadership). I have worked in nursery management since 2000 and only became a TA in 2013...I work with nursery and reception. But my school is in special measures .....if I thought the support there was good and I would want to be there long term I would def go for the option to do a placement there xxx

Posted from TSR Mobile
Yes, I think I am going to choose the PGCE. Like you say it is important to feel happy and valued for what you are and I didnt feel it on the SD.
Thank you so much for your advice, it really helps and puts things into perspective!
How are you getting on with your skills tests? Have you applied for student finance - does everyone qualify do you know? xx
I passed my skills tests 1st time. I was amazed because at one point I almost gave up on the whole idea because of the stress of maths!
As for student finance, I appplied recently but tgey wanted proof from uni that the course is unsalaried so I had to get a letter from uni and it's delayed my application a bit. My understanding is that we all get the loan for fees but things like childcare etc are means tested (I don't qualify 😕)

Which uni are you going to?

Posted from TSR Mobile
Oh wow, well done!!! I am really stressed about the maths :-/ is the real test as hard as the practice ones? I think I am just about getting it, but I know there was some kind of confusion because the tests were different to the practice ones?!
Oh ok, I will sort out student finance when I pass the tests and accept the course. Fingers crossed :-0
I am going to Worcester- I am already a student there, finishing my top up degree :-)

How about you?
I am with Warrington Teaching School Alliance and the uni bit is by Liverpool Hope x

The maths is just about practising those elements you know you struggle with and I used numeracy ready as well as Mark Patmore's qts skills test book x
Posted from TSR Mobile
Yes, I have the Mark Patmore too! So, you think the numeracy ready is worth a purchase? I have heard so much about it!

Great, I just want to pass them now and get them out of the way. Im such a worrier!!!
I have just found out from student finance that I have been given the maintenance loan (whuch is to be paid back) and the maintenance grant (which is not paid back). This is in addition to the fee loan and bursary. I wasn't expecting this so want to be really pleased...but feel I need to investigate the repayment procedures as I don't really understand the interest and how much I repay based on how much I earn. All I know is that it is paid back on any earnings over 21,000. Anyone else more clued up?

Posted from TSR Mobile
Original post by Pineapple pie
I need to investigate the repayment procedures as I don't really understand the interest and how much I repay based on how much I earn. All I know is that it is paid back on any earnings over 21,000. Anyone else more clued up?]

It's a mystery to me, too, Pineapple Pie. I'm about to start looking into this for myself, so if I find anything out I'll let you know! It's all a lot more complicated than it was when I applied for a PGCE after graduating in 2000.
I'm sure I already posted on this thread to introduce myself, but I can't seem to find the post. So I'll go again. I'm a mature (by definition, at least) applicant - I turn 36 (or 37) this summer, and I've been working in a SEN school for the last years. I've applied (and been offered places) on Secondary Computer Science courses - one a PGCE, the other SD. I passed me skills tests a couple of months ago, and am now brushing up my knowledge ready for September. If I can answer any questions, please feel free to ask!

On a side note, does anyone know at what point an ITT provider will ask you to complete a Subject Knowledge Enhancement (SKE) course? I've had a conditional offer that says I should seek to improve my subject knowledge, and when I asked about it, they gave me some areas to look at, but there's been no mention of a formal SKE. I'm assuming they'd have mentioned it in my offer letter...what do you think?
If you've not been told that you have to formally do a SKE course then you proberly don't. If you did I would expect it'd be part of your conditional offer on ucas or offer letter from the uni/school. If you wanted to check you could contact the uni/school and ask if they want you to complete a formal SKE, and if so which course would they advise, or are they happy for you to do your own reading. Many places are happy for to do your own learning & reading.

Original post by jbeebus2012
I'm sure I already posted on this thread to introduce myself, but I can't seem to find the post. So I'll go again. I'm a mature (by definition, at least) applicant - I turn 36 (or 37) this summer, and I've been working in a SEN school for the last years. I've applied (and been offered places) on Secondary Computer Science courses - one a PGCE, the other SD. I passed me skills tests a couple of months ago, and am now brushing up my knowledge ready for September. If I can answer any questions, please feel free to ask!

On a side note, does anyone know at what point an ITT provider will ask you to complete a Subject Knowledge Enhancement (SKE) course? I've had a conditional offer that says I should seek to improve my subject knowledge, and when I asked about it, they gave me some areas to look at, but there's been no mention of a formal SKE. I'm assuming they'd have mentioned it in my offer letter...what do you think?
How long did it take after applying for your interview or reception to come through? I applied on the 26th of march, I know it's late but I spoke to them and they all said they still had places.
Just wondered what kind of time scale I'm looking at for getting interviews :smile: (if I get any at all haha)
I know easter has probably slowed things down too x
I have an interview on thursday and have to do a 40 minute lesson to 31 year 3's... AHHH.

My letter just says it will be followed by an interview, but no indication as to what will be in the interview. Any ideas?
Original post by shannonbeth
I have an interview on thursday and have to do a 40 minute lesson to 31 year 3's... AHHH.

My letter just says it will be followed by an interview, but no indication as to what will be in the interview. Any ideas?

In my experience, the interview is pretty much the same as any other pgce interview, except you will be (probably) asked to 'reflect' on your lesson - what you liked, what you would change, why you chose to do that particular lesson etc etc.

I only had to do a 15-20 minute lesson but I still tried to split it up into a few sections to try and demonstrate all elements of my teaching potential! Try to incorporate as much interaction as possible - avoid worksheets and things like that as it doesn't really demonstrate your teaching skills :smile: Good luck!

Quick Reply

Latest

Trending

Trending