The Student Room Group

Scroll to see replies

Is anyones exam tuesday? (Britain 1815-65)
then the monday after (Russian)

I feel as though everyone is worried about this exam :frown:
I sort of know the basics of everything, but don't think I would be able to go into much detail. My revision has really just consisted of writing notes out time and time again. So some stuff has sunk in, some hasn't.
I can't wait till this exams over
xxx
Reply 81
I just did 6 hours more or less non stop of Russian history - The Great Retreat and the Great Terror.

Great.
Reply 82
jw127
Cheers for posting those notes up.

BTW would you say it's essential to know the catholic (counter) reformation? I know most of the other topics well and I know for the exam we get a choice of 2 questions out of 3 but I've simply not been taught enough about the catholic reformation in class. i don't see any way I can realistically get away with knowing it but Tuesday either.

You think I can get away with avoiding it as a topic?

Im forgetting it, in the exam you get 3 choices of question and you must answer 2. At most the Counter reformation will be 1 question so you can get away with not doing it like me.

So stupid it follows none of the work and is one of the biggest chapters.
indie_couture

I sort of know the basics of everything, but don't think I would be able to go into much detail. My revision has really just consisted of writing notes out time and time again. So some stuff has sunk in, some hasn't.
xxx

Mine is, though Development of Germany 1871-1925 and British New Liberalism 1902-1908. What with other exams around it, I haven't had much time to revise for my German history exam on Tuesday. What I'm finding most difficult is the essay style, trying to incorporate 'historical interpretations and debate' as well as everything else in less than half an hour is so frustrating and so difficult!
Reply 84
WeasleyNumber10
It's awful! I think i'm gonna really stryggle to remember it all tbh... there's just so much!! One of the questions my teacher gave me which was from the exam board was Asquith's government's effect on health and housing?! that's a tiny bit of the whole thing... and it was for 24 marks?!... Insania!
How's your revision going?

Health I can understand, as the reforms for the worker included free treatment under a panel doctor etc...but housing?!

I'm sorry, but that is really far too demanding! The questions we've been given are much more open-ended than that.

Furthermore, half the ones that are more relevant, like that benefitted children's health were under Campbell-Bannerman's leadership!

Edit: furthermore, I don't understand why they'd push for housing when the official revision guide never makes it a huge issue and focuses on the different social groups. For those kinds of questions, think:

Children
Elderly
Worker
Unemployed/Sick.

But look at the dates VERY carefully. Campbell-Bannerman's government didn't really mark the birth of New Liberalism, hence a lot of the reform was very deliberately non-controversial. As a result, free school meals and check-ups for children free of charge were 1906 and 1907 respectively, so if they're aiming for an Asquith-Lloyd George-Churchill angle, these will be irrelevant and they're perhaps looking for the biggie, Old Age Pensions.
Reply 85
Hi, is anyone doing Napoleon 1795-1815?
I've got Russia first and then Bristish on the following Tuesday.
indie_couture

xxx

Mine... :eek3:

Germany fall of the second reich to fall of the third, and arab nationalism, and the creation of Israel 1945-2001..

and then Crimean war, Boer War, and WW1 home front and western front.
SirMasterKey
I've got Russia first and then Bristish on the following Tuesday.

What years for British?
x x x
Reply 89
Is it just my class or is anyone else doing history:modern 1783-1994 on monday. From Pitt to Peel.
Reply 90
I mean on tuesday not monday
i like this thread
what is everyone's theory on the grade boundaries from January?
Do you think they'll change a lot?
they are my only hope, it was 42/72 for A in European Ref and 47/72 for A in Stalinist Russia
:smile:
indie_couture
What years for British?
x x x

Erm not soo sure the exact ones but it covers Crimea, Boer and First World Wars.

The impact of these wars on British society.
BiGBaDBoO
Im forgetting it, in the exam you get 3 choices of question and you must answer 2. At most the Counter reformation will be 1 question so you can get away with not doing it like me.

So stupid it follows none of the work and is one of the biggest chapters.

my teacher only spent 4 hours on the Jesuits and the Counter Reformation
and about 40 (literally) on Luther!
Reply 94
SirMasterKey
Erm not soo sure the exact ones but it covers Crimea, Boer and First World Wars.

The impact of these wars on British society.

How much detail are u going in for these considering its maily source based.
Cheers.
A-Man!
How much detail are u going in for these considering its maily source based.
Cheers.

We went quite a bit in thruth. When of course our legendary teacher wasn't going off on wild tangents. But as you said mainly source based but for the b question as you need your own knowledge always good to have in-depth knowledge of things.

The teacher gave us some notes on it all and said it was more than what we needed. I would send it but only have hard copy (plus like 30 pages) so sorry :frown: Not even sure I'll go through it all,
Is anyone on the planet doing AQA: GB: 1955-1975 and US:1890-1945?
Reply 97
SiaSiaSia
I'm doing the British Civil War as well, but for my source paper not my essay paper. Life in Nazi Germany is easy :smile: I loved doing it for GCSE
i really need to start philosophy....

Oh I kinda wish I was doing the 1600s one for sources, I think it's so ridiculous how we have to remember so so so much.
I have done no philosophy so far, and I did one night of revision before the exam for the first philosophy exam due to my English Lit and Music exams being the 2 days before it!
And I really don't want to retake History OR Philosophy.
Oh well, we can only do our best!!

Good luck everyone!
ANYONE GOT ANY CIVIL RIGHTS NOTES PRETTY PLEASE!

Thanks, NaturesSunshine!
have people revised a lot for the stalin unit on the 8th

Latest