The Student Room Group

Scroll to see replies

Original post by StephenNaulls
98 UMS. Just scraped an A at 245/300, hahahaha

Congratz!!!
Guys I have a decision to make. I ended up with 280/300 in Physics after working my socks off for my re-sit and unit 2 exam in June. I originally had a D in my Unit 1 :colondollar:. I want to do medicine next year, and if I take physics next year to A2, I will probably be made an offer which will require a C in Physics. I calculated that I need 80 UMS next year to get this C. Do you think I should take physics next year? How hard is at at A2? I want to make it clear that I want to put in MINIMAL work for it, because I want to focus on my main three subjects (which are high As too).

Original post by LegendX
There's quite a big chunk only in unit 4 about capacitors, charge etc
Ok and in response to your comment, yes what you are saying is true, sometimes the questions can be completely random. Sometimes the questions have nothing to do with physics at all or seem like they are way of the spec but just remember one thing, if you are in an exam and this happens, don't give up. Just carry on writing as most likely the exam will have low grade boundaries and an important hint in physics is you get some marks for writing down the formula, plugging numbers into it. So if you don't know the answer to part A, make ANY random numbers up and use em, you'll still get all the marks except the last mark for getting the right answer. My best advice is, aslong as you revise hard enough, regardless of the paper that comes up, you'll know more physics than other candidates and if you can write down that physics in a question you can recognise, you'll get a good grade. Just remember one thing, the exam papers are not there to trick you or fool you, they're just testing your ability.

Original post by TheKingOfTSR
X

See post 1091 in this thread.

Somehow it turns out I got 120 UMS full UMS for the unit 1 paper, incredibly weird :eek:
Original post by GCSE-help
Guys I have a decision to make. I ended up with 280/300 in Physics after working my socks off for my re-sit and unit 2 exam in June. I originally had a D in my Unit 1 :colondollar:. I want to do medicine next year, and if I take physics next year to A2, I will probably be made an offer which will require a C in Physics. I calculated that I need 80 UMS next year to get this C. Do you think I should take physics next year? How hard is at at A2? I want to make it clear that I want to put in MINIMAL work for it, because I want to focus on my main three subjects (which are high As too).

I wouldn't say its any harder at A2 than AS if I'm honest (depending on the exam board, I did Edexcel)
Original post by Releasethekraken
I wouldn't say its any harder at A2 than AS if I'm honest (depending on the exam board, I did Edexcel)

Yeah I do Edexcel too. That's good to hear.
Hi all, I have some good books for A2 Physics, the SHAP ( salters horners advanced physics ) can be a bit waffly at times and its good to have several resources to look at. The one i have is also endorsed by edexcel, it is a text book and i also have the revision guide. PM me if interested. Thanks.
Reply 1107
Hiya, I got an A overall (281/300 ums) but in unit 2 I got 50/80 raw. I'm definitely dropping a subject and was wondering whether this is as bad as I think it is or are low raw scores like this common?
Reply 1108
Original post by cbnz
Hiya, I got an A overall (281/300 ums) but in unit 2 I got 50/80 raw. I'm definitely dropping a subject and was wondering whether this is as bad as I think it is or are low raw scores like this common?

Don't drop it! You're obviously very good at it! A UMS score of 281 out of 300 is really impressive!
Your raw score doesn't really matter; what mattes is the ums you get. Apparently the paper we did was quite difficult overall so 48 was the A grade boundary. A score of 50 in this paper is as good as someone who got 65 in a paper where 65 is the A grade boundary :P You'd still get the same UMS in the end :smile:
Well done :biggrin:
Original post by x0x
Don't drop it! You're obviously very good at it! A UMS score of 281 out of 300 is really impressive!
Your raw score doesn't really matter; what mattes is the ums you get. Apparently the paper we did was quite difficult overall so 48 was the A grade boundary. A score of 50 in this paper is as good as someone who got 65 in a paper where 65 is the A grade boundary :P You'd still get the same UMS in the end :smile:
Well done :biggrin:

I was well set on dropping Physics but ended up with 280 ums too, after originally getting a D in my first Unit 1 attempt :colondollar:

I'm going for medicine so I only need 3 alevels, but having a 4 is advantageous to one uni which i wanna apply to. Also I'd only need a C maximum overall so I need 80 ums next year. Do you think I should take it?
Reply 1110
Original post by GCSE-help
I was well set on dropping Physics but ended up with 280 ums too, after originally getting a D in my first Unit 1 attempt :colondollar:

I'm going for medicine so I only need 3 alevels, but having a 4 is advantageous to one uni which i wanna apply to. Also I'd only need a C maximum overall so I need 80 ums next year. Do you think I should take it?

If i were you i'd take it but i'd make sure that i don't allow it to make me under perform in my other subjects . If you take it you'll have more options :smile:
If you think that it will really be a big burden on you then don't take it. You will have to work extra hard but it is totally woth it at the end :smile:
Good luck :biggrin:
Just got 84UMS(43/80 raw) i am soo shocked!!!!!! :eek:

I thought it was a good exam :frown:
Reply 1112
Apparently it was marked harshly which explains the relatively really low A boundary ...
I got 255/300
is it good?
Original post by Daniel Atieh
I got 255/300
is it good?

Yep

Try to get over 90% for A2 for that A*
Good luck!:smile:
Yep

Try to get over 90% for A2 for that A*
Good luck!:smile:

For AS Physics Edexcel I got 289/300 UMS :biggrin:. For the whole of A level Physics I need 540/600 UMS, as usual, to get A* right? So I need 251 UMS more to achieve A* on the whole A level Physics. But this means I need to achive 83.666...% in A2 Physics for A*. If I do this, do I get the A*? Or do I actually need 90% in A2?

Thanks
Original post by krisshP
For AS Physics Edexcel I got 289/300 UMS :biggrin:. For the whole of A level Physics I need 540/600 UMS, as usual, to get A* right? So I need 251 UMS more to achieve A* on the whole A level Physics. But this means I need to achive 83.666...% in A2 Physics for A*. If I do this, do I get the A*? Or do I actually need 90% in A2?

Thanks

I reckon you need >90% at A2 which is like more than 270/300

PLUS >80% overall
I reckon you need >90% at A2 which is like more than 270/300

PLUS >80% overall

:frown:

>90% at A2 is so hard :frown: who knows what exams they have planned for us that could destroy us. Also the coursework I think is harder :frown:

Are you aiming for A* as well? I don't need it, but it'll be a boost certainly.
Original post by krisshP
:frown:

>90% at A2 is so hard :frown: who knows what exams they have planned for us that could destroy us. Also the coursework I think is harder :frown:

Are you aiming for A* as well? I don't need it, but it'll be a boost certainly.

Yep, Of course I am aiming for it.

Everyone should,right. At least the ones who have got >70% for AS

:cool:

I think Grade boundaries will account for the difficulty of the exams, so nothing to worry.
Yep, Of course I am aiming for it.

Everyone should,right. At least the ones who have got >70% for AS

:cool:

I think Grade boundaries will account for the difficulty of the exams, so nothing to worry.

But the coursework isn't an exam. The cheating that goes in schools inflates the grade boundaries a lot :frown: and they give you the mark scheme. I'd prefer 2 exams only as the coursework tends to drag down grades due to very high grade boundaries :frown: and only 2 exams makes the A2/AS course be shorter and simpler and quicker.

Latest

Trending

Trending