The Student Room Group

Official Vacation Scheme Thread 2015!!!

Scroll to see replies

Original post by trisha.b
Hey did anyone give the KWM video interview!? Looks intimidating :/

Doesn't seem too bad from the description, seems to have a 'personal' slant to it. I'm intrigued to know whether everyone got the invite.
Original post by liarpoker
Doesn't seem too bad from the description, seems to have a 'personal' slant to it. I'm intrigued to know whether everyone got the invite.

haha no no. everyone didn't. About 25-30% got the invite I assume. And around 10% will get invited to the AC. don't worry :P
Does anyone else feel like the 31st deadline has come around way too quick? Still have a number of applications to do and feeling the pressure majorly!
Original post by TrainingChopeful
Does anyone else feel like the 31st deadline has come around way too quick? Still have a number of applications to do and feeling the pressure majorly!

Definitely, it's especially challenging balancing preparation for applications with exam revision and assignments.
"Describe a challenge you may face as a Trainee solicitor and detail how you would respond as an individual."

How would one approach this question? Would you say it relates more to the obstacles facing the legal industry at large, or a more personal challenge such as being faced with a difficult client?
I received an email from Simmons & Simmons on the 23rd December saying that I had a AC, and they would get in touch in the New Year to confirm a date. However, I haven't heard from them since. Has anyone heard from them about a AC date, and do you think it's worth emailing them?
Original post by Chianti1
Definitely, it's especially challenging balancing preparation for applications with exam revision and assignments.

I know what you mean! I'm a graduate but I'm working/ taking part in work experience at firms and find it difficult to find enough time to really sit down and complete a form.
An application I'm filling in has various Qs like non-academic achievements and what will the firm need to do to stay competitive. Then there is a Q about which location do you want to train at and when do you intend to start your TC. Both Qs allow 250 words for each but I'm not sure whether I need to fill the entire word count/how many words would be appropriate. I'm also not sure what stuff I would need to include - is it enough to just say I have family in the area, am looking to relocate and applying/interviewing for roles in the area. Also for when do you intend to start your TC, I stated the 2017 date and what I intend to do in the time before starting a TC but also have included that I would be able to start earlier should the opportunity arise.

Would appreciate any views - as both word counts so far are very small (around 100)
Original post by pasdesdeux
"Describe a challenge you may face as a Trainee solicitor and detail how you would respond as an individual."

How would one approach this question? Would you say it relates more to the obstacles facing the legal industry at large, or a more personal challenge such as being faced with a difficult client?

My instinct would be the latter!
Reply 1129
Anyone??

Original post by ap28
'Give an example of a personal goal you set yourself and what you did to reach it' - how would you guys approach this question? I was thinking to write about a time I raised awareness about a charity event but dont know if that counts as a 'personal goal'?
This is probably a silly question, but on a lot of these applications (particularly the ones done through the "apply4law" portal) it asks for information to do with my GDL/LPC status. I've just been leaving this bit blank, given that it should be self-evident from the earlier parts of my application that I'm still doing my undergrad. Have you guys done the same, or have you filled in some of the info? It asks when I "intend" to start the LPC, wondering if I ought to fill that in... :s-smilie:

Please tell us something that not many people know about you.

Would you say this question could relate to anything?
Original post by J-SP
Don't fill it in with anything apart form the location and the date you want to start. The word count is probably there for those who are open minded to location or date.

Posted from TSR Mobile

Thank you! Just to clarify is it ok just to write "I intend to start my training contract in 2017" and "I wish to train at the London office" ? Thank you for your help - it is really useful to obtain clarification on Qs like these.

Thanks!
I've only just finished all my courseworks, tomorrow's the only day I have to prepare for my interview on Tuesday, so nervous!!! D'you reckon one day is enough to prepare?! (I do know an okay amount about the firm and my ambitions etc so I don't need to research from scratch!)

So worried I'll be underprepared :/
Reply 1135
Original post by TykeDragon
I've only just finished all my courseworks, tomorrow's the only day I have to prepare for my interview on Tuesday, so nervous!!! D'you reckon one day is enough to prepare?! (I do know an okay amount about the firm and my ambitions etc so I don't need to research from scratch!)

So worried I'll be underprepared :/

Yes that's easily enough!! are you a non-law student?
How does one demonstrate 'interest in business affairs'??? Unless you have interned in some retail store or company :/

Is this Debevoise by any chance? For that, I wrote about an old career aspiration and the achievements I took towards that.

That definitely is Debevoise. I guess they're trying to get to "know you" given that it is a very introspective question and one that requires quite a lot of thought. You could use it to highlight certain traits for the job. For instance you could write that you originally wanted to be an engineer but **** happened however on the plus side you feel law and engineering have similar skill sets. Or alternatively you could just use it to say something really cool and interesting that you don't tell many other people, like that time you lived as a Buddhist monk for a month of your gap yah. Whichever answer you choose to write, try and consider what the person reading it will gather about you and if that works in your favour or not.

I wrote that not many people know that I visit a dominatrix 3-4 times a week and this shows that I can handle (and enjoy!) the masochistic hours that Debevoise would throw at me.
(edited 9 years ago)
Original post by L90
Yes that's easily enough!! are you a non-law student?

Nope, I'm law!

Anybody got any tips on how you divide 'why law' and 'why commercial law' ? By the time I've discussed why law I haven't really got anything specific for commercial law lol

Quick Reply

Latest

Trending

Trending