The Student Room Group

Universal Credit and Term Dates

Looking for a Universal Credit case manager or expert.
I start university on the 25th of September. I have two semesters—the second one finishes on the 24th of May. However, my last day to attend the university is the 10th of May. So, I start my long vacation on the 11th of May.
My work coach from Universal Credit says they will not consider May 10 or 24 as the last day of university, but the 12th of July because that is written on the University's website. I explained to him that the 'consolidation activity' that will take place from May 25 to July 12 which is written on the university website, does not refer to me and my course and that after May 10 I will start looking for a job. I won't be at university any more. It is possible that I still have to submit an essay or something like that until May 24. But after that, absolutely nothing, 100% vacation.
In the past, Universal Credit calculated my academic year until the end of May, when I finished my second semester. Why are they now trying to change the calculation even though nothing in the legislation has changed?
My question is: is it correct for my case manager to consider my data related to the vacation and when I go on vacation, or does he have to consider the whole university?
It simply sounds ridiculous to me to consider 12 July just because some "consolidation activity" is written on the website at the university, which has absolutely nothing to do with many courses.
Original post by pavelweisz
Looking for a Universal Credit case manager or expert.
I start university on the 25th of September. I have two semesters—the second one finishes on the 24th of May. However, my last day to attend the university is the 10th of May. So, I start my long vacation on the 11th of May.
My work coach from Universal Credit says they will not consider May 10 or 24 as the last day of university, but the 12th of July because that is written on the University's website. I explained to him that the 'consolidation activity' that will take place from May 25 to July 12 which is written on the university website, does not refer to me and my course and that after May 10 I will start looking for a job. I won't be at university any more. It is possible that I still have to submit an essay or something like that until May 24. But after that, absolutely nothing, 100% vacation.
In the past, Universal Credit calculated my academic year until the end of May, when I finished my second semester. Why are they now trying to change the calculation even though nothing in the legislation has changed?
My question is: is it correct for my case manager to consider my data related to the vacation and when I go on vacation, or does he have to consider the whole university?
It simply sounds ridiculous to me to consider 12 July just because some "consolidation activity" is written on the website at the university, which has absolutely nothing to do with many courses.

Hi there, I believe that if your wc provided you with those information is because he has been told to do so meaning that he has to stick with official information like the university website. Ask at the University if they can provide you with an official letter or document with the correct info that applies to you and go back to the work coach with that (including the contact of the person who has given that to you). It may be worth trying it.
Good luck
(edited 7 months ago)
Speak to your case manager rather than work coach.

Quick Reply

Latest

Trending

Trending