The Student Room Group

The Cricket Society IV

Scroll to see replies

Moeens figures have taken a massive hit. No turn? Or poor bowling?

Posted from TSR Mobile
His wicket was a peach but I don't think there's much turn out there. Job should be wrapped up tomorrow after Sri Lanka belatedly bringing some resistance.
Original post by Aky786UK
His wicket was a peach but I don't think there's much turn out there. Job should be wrapped up tomorrow after Sri Lanka belatedly bringing some resistance.

They might make England bat again, even if it is only a low target they set.
Reply 1143
A really good day for SL - and I'm pleased for them, and mainly the Durham crowd, who have spent a lot of money to see a non-contest thus far.

Of course, SL will lose this Test. But they shouldn't lose it by an innings, thankfully. Mathews led the way expertly today. He played well, and really bounced back after receiving plenty of criticism yesterday.

The pitch was absolutely dead. It offered nothing for the bowlers, absolutely nothing. There was little purchase after the second roller went over it.

Finn needs to find some form - quickly. He'll be bowling at Lord's next, and is bound to shine. But there are grumblings from the pundits, with a few saying that his place may be under scrutiny soon. That's worrying. I think he has a point to prove, and is struggling after that injury which occurred between the SA tour and the World Twenty20. He needs to bowl, though. And bowl and bowl. Thought Anderson and Woakes bowled really well and on another day could have had 3 or 4 wickets each.
It's nice to see Sri Lanka finally standing up and fighting. It's making Steven Finn's poor bowling all the more obvious

Posted from TSR Mobile
Reply 1145
Finn doesn't deserve to be dropped. Nowhere near.

After all, this was a man who looked fierce in SA - two years after he was last dropped.

Dropping him again, or deeming his "unselectable", will just set him back to square one.

He's not bowling poorly. He's just not performing at his optimum level.
Great fight from Sri Lanka

Posted from TSR Mobile
So it's official.

Cook > Tendulkar.
Reply 1148
A good Test victory for England - and it's good to see the series wrapped up within just six days worth of cricket.

Full credit to Cook, who got over the boundary (crawling, admittedly) to get rid of the record burden. You could see it was weighing him down slightly, he's only human after all, as Bayliss said.

But he's joined the elite club now - the youngest player and the only Englishman to do so - and there should be no stopping him now, given his age.

Aside from that, it was a good day's cricket for SL. Chandimal was the spearhead of a very good innings for them - and you've got to see this as an ominous sign for England.

Anderson bowled extremely well, with five expertly taken wickets, and Woakes continued to impress. But the pitch offered little to seamers, and England will need to do better than this on pitches like these on the sub-continent later this year.

Finn is out of form, short of confidence, and the constant appraisal of his place in the Test side can't help. I think that's why England have opted for the same 12 next Test, at Lord's. Cook announced it straight after the match, and that was sensible. It allows Finn and Compton to get their heads down and work hard over the next 10 days or so, knowing they've still a place in the side.

Broad is yet to be proven on the sub-continent, and we saw in the 0-2 series loss to Pakistan that Moeen is not the world-class spinner we need. Last time we beat India, we had KP, Swann and Panesar. Can their replacements deliver? I doubt it. But we shall see.

For now, it's good to have the series wrapped up.
Original post by Louis.
So it's official.

Cook > Tendulkar.

No. :tongue:

Posted from TSR Mobile
Reply 1150
Jimmy Anderson replaces Stuart Broad as world’s No1 Test bowler.

18 wickets already in two Tests this summer, with Lord’s still to come next week. He's having a great year, and he becomes the fourth England bowler to be ranked No1 since Botham.
Is there any team in the world at the moment that could actually challenge England (in England) in the (early) summer? All of the subcontinental teams would struggle massively with the swinging conditions (as is shown by Sri Lanka), SA faltered at home against England last winter, and I am not sure if their batting is strong enough to really challenge England in these conditions. Australia struggled last summer in the Ashes. The only team I can think of is NZ, due to them drawing the series last summer, but even that result could have been way different.

Playing England in the summer is a huge challenge for any opposition, especially while Anderson and Broad are in full flight. Can see Pakistan failing too, but their bowling will pose more of a threat, you would think.
Original post by moment of truth

Playing England in the summer is a huge challenge for any opposition, especially while Anderson and Broad are in full flight. Can see Pakistan failing too, but their bowling will pose more of a threat, you would think.

hmm i actually think pakistan are an underrated batting test side - their middle order of younis khan, misbah azhar ali and hafeez is probably the best middle order around in terms of experience - their openers and tail enders are crap. solid from 3-6 i think. Bowlers will be good espicially amir. But yh, i reckon england at home in the summer atm are near unbeatable, draw maybe but lose nah no chance Broad is just so good to watch and cook atm loooool madness
I think Pakistan might win a test this summer, England are still capable of throwing in a test losing session/day of cricket. We should win the series but I'd expect 2-1 or 3-1.
Pakistan's Test side offers the only positivity for the cricketing endeavours at present. England should focus on the their middle order, once they have that out of the way, would expect the rest to tumble. Amir will be exciting to watch - in the midst of the spot fixing in 2010, he had a good series. Media attention will be on him but least get facts right - SSN reported the old news that Hafeez wouldn't play with him yet they turn proceeded to show a clip of the two playing alongside each other!

Posted from TSR Mobile
Yasir Shah is back also so see how he performs.

Posted from TSR Mobile
Reply 1156
If England win the Pakistan Test series, they'll hold the complete set of Test trophies.

I do think that Pakistan will offer a much fiercer opposition than SL currently, but you'd be hard pressed to find anybody able to deal with the conditions SL have struggled with thus far in the series.

Of course, that's part of the reason Durham won't be getting another Test - so it's swings and roundabouts. Chester-le-Street was hardly packed to the rafters last week, because everybody knows this series just isn't a contest. The conditions are partly to blame. Anderson is just king in these types of conditions, and a SL side without their two talismanic batsmen is a side in transition, and vulnerable to the swinging ball.
Original post by Mackay
If England win the Pakistan Test series, they'll hold the complete set of Test trophies.

I do think that Pakistan will offer a much fiercer opposition than SL currently, but you'd be hard pressed to find anybody able to deal with the conditions SL have struggled with thus far in the series.

Of course, that's part of the reason Durham won't be getting another Test - so it's swings and roundabouts. Chester-le-Street was hardly packed to the rafters last week, because everybody knows this series just isn't a contest. The conditions are partly to blame. Anderson is just king in these types of conditions, and a SL side without their two talismanic batsmen is a side in transition, and vulnerable to the swinging ball.

Key players for Pakistan are definately Misbah, Younis and Amir. Looking forward to a great series!

Posted from TSR Mobile
Reply 1158
Fantastic to see Adam Zampa firing on all cylinders for Australia. He always deserved a crack, and I worried he'd be omitted in favour of Lyon. You can never trust the Aussie selectors, to be honest. Clarke always had trouble with them, and grew frustrated.

But it was absolutely the right call to deploy both against the Windies last night, on a spin-friendly pitch. Both spinners chipped in with three wickets apiece, and Starc returned magnificently too.

Warner carried on his IPL form with a match-winning knock after WI were skittled out. With SA already on the losing side to the Windies, though, you have a feeling WI may not receive the wooden spoon.

I do wonder why Warner isn't being rested, to be honest. He's played so much cricket recently.
Original post by tazza ma razza
hmm i actually think pakistan are an underrated batting test side - their middle order of younis khan, misbah azhar ali and hafeez is probably the best middle order around in terms of experience - their openers and tail enders are crap. solid from 3-6 i think. Bowlers will be good espicially amir. But yh, i reckon england at home in the summer atm are near unbeatable, draw maybe but lose nah no chance Broad is just so good to watch and cook atm loooool madness

Possibly, although Pakistan are always known to collapse. They definitely pose more of a threat than the current SL team, and they might win one test match, but England are a strong team, especially at home.

Quick Reply

Latest