The Student Room Group

PGCE Applications 2016

Scroll to see replies

Original post by fabuloussam_
So I've got two interviews lined up. I applied for PGCE at UoN and two SD which are both run by Trent. I've got an interview for my PGCE at UoN and one at Trent for a SD but track hasn't updated to tell me which the latter is for.
Is it likely that I'll have one interivew at Trent for both SD before the interview at the schools themselves? I'm really confused because I recieved the offer early last week and track STILL isn't showing up any changes.

Original post by kizzz!
It's likely. It could be that once you've passed the uni interview, they'll pass on your details to the two schools who will then choose whether to invite you to a further interview. Considering both your SD's are with the same uni, that might be what's happening. You could email or ring them to check?

Original post by fergi
I received an invitation to interview for one of mine through email, and that has not come up on Track. I'm assuming we shouldn't worry about it, because I have too much else to worry about and I don't want to.

I have a weird one as well with mine - 2 of them, in different counties, appear to be run by the same lady, so I'm a touch confused about all of that.... luckily Track tells me which SD programme has invited me for interview for that one though.

Mine weren't on Track... they updated after the interview though.. Don't worry :smile:
Application will finally get sent off today!! Kinda relieved, kinda not as I'm really not prepared for any interviews just yet.

Just to check, for personal statements, did you take a line out for paragraphs or not? Last year I didn't and I've managed to get a copy of my old application form from ucas and it just looks a jumbled block of writing. Really don't want to cut any more out though
Original post by kizzz!
Application will finally get sent off today!! Kinda relieved, kinda not as I'm really not prepared for any interviews just yet.

Just to check, for personal statements, did you take a line out for paragraphs or not? Last year I didn't and I've managed to get a copy of my old application form from ucas and it just looks a jumbled block of writing. Really don't want to cut any more out though

I just copied and pasted from Word and it got rid of the blank lines.

I think they're used to seeing it like that and the fact that there will be lines that finish halfway etc show that you know how to paragraph.

You can always call/tweet UCAS if you're worried though.
Original post by Aemiliana
I just copied and pasted from Word and it got rid of the blank lines.

I think they're used to seeing it like that and the fact that there will be lines that finish halfway etc show that you know how to paragraph.

You can always call/tweet UCAS if you're worried though.

Yeah when I copy and paste from Word, the lines are still there though :s-smilie: good shout with the tweet idea, thanks
Original post by goldfishgirl
Thanks!

Ah right, thanks for the clarification!

Not at Sussex they didn't. I don't think the course is as geared much towards language as KCL and Cambridge (but I remember them saying they have Latin catchup sessions during the PGCE if you think you need to improve).

I have a KCL interview a week on Tuesday, which is my first choice, but I loved Sussex when I went so would still be happy to go there. Heard nothing back from my School Direct application yet...

Yeah that's the reason I'm not as keen on Sussex at the moment because I'd prefer to be more language focused but then it could my favourite if I get an interview. I think it being a relatively new course, there's not as much info out there for it.

I have noticed that Cambridge have changed their advice and people who started Latin at uni are advised to get AS before applying. This information seems to have gone up in the past few months so is useless for me now. So maybe a uni with less of a language focus would prefer me.

How did you prepare for your interview? I feel like I have so much I need to do should I get an interview. I'm stressing more about this than my MA!

Good luck for KCL! And hopefully the school direct one will get back to you, it might just be because they have less manpower than a uni?

---

I'm worried that I'm going to get a phone call from one of the places I've applied to if they want to interview me because so many of you have said that's how they contacted you. I'm still ill in bed and can barely speak so that would be a horrid first impression!
(edited 8 years ago)
Original post by Aemiliana
Yeah that's the reason I'm not as keen on Sussex at the moment because I'd prefer to be more language focused but then it could my favourite if I get an interview. I think it being a relatively new course, there's not as much info out there for it.

I have noticed that Cambridge have changed their advice and people who started Latin at uni are advised to get AS before applying. This information seems to have gone up in the past few months so is useless for me now. So maybe a uni with less of a language focus would prefer me.

How did you prepare for your interview? I feel like I have so much I need to do should I get an interview. I'm stressing more about this than my MA!

Good luck for KCL! And hopefully the school direct one will get back to you, it might just be because they have less manpower than a uni?

I did ask them about teaching languages but they said it completely depends on the school you're given for your placement. So I'd hope to be put in a school that teaches Latin.

Yeah there's not much info on the course, it was a little frustrating! The impression I got from the interview was that they were pretty flexible whether you wanted to teach Latin or not, as well as offering you the chance to teach a bit of History as well (the course is Classics with History, but I'd rather focus on the Classics side, obviously!)

The only real preparation I did was on the presentation; it had to be about something on the Class Civ GCSE spec. If you get an interview, the information will be in your email. Otherwise I just re-read my notes from the work experience I had, as well as reading the TES to get some information about teaching as a whole. The last two things would help you with any interview though, not just Sussex.

Thanks! Yeah, the unis have whole teams working on admissions, whereas the schools might only have 1 or 2 people, so I understand why they won't have got back to me yet.
(edited 8 years ago)
Reply 1326
Hi guys,

Hope you're well. I just wanted to ask a quick question purely to satisfy my own interest.

After graduating from university, I decided that I want to train as a teacher. Although I'm not too sure if I see myself teaching for the entirety of my career, it seems like solid start and (in my opinion) is more worthwhile and meaningful than many of the grad schemes out there.

Last year I worked in a school as an unqualified teacher. I entered convinced that I wanted to pursue a PGCE, however I completely changed my mind over the course of the year and decided to apply to Teach First which I now hold an offer from to teach history.

What attracted me were the opportunities for progression, the plethora of educational and non-educational opportunities available upon completion of the program and the fact that you are paid throughout. I was just wondering why people have chosen the PGCE route?

Thanks for taking the time to answer this,

Best,

Lyman
(edited 8 years ago)
Just checked the email after walking into the house, finally got an interview.

1 down 2 to go.

Also for those of you bound to ask.

I am applying for 2 school direct and 1 scitt in Secondary Computer Science.
Original post by gentlegiant
Just checked the email after walking into the house, finally got an interview.

1 down 2 to go.

Also for those of you bound to ask.

I am applying for 2 school direct and 1 scitt in Secondary Computer Science.

Best of luck with your interview!
I passed by both skills test. :biggrin:
Just wanted to know...How can I know the percentage scored?
Original post by Niyo123
I passed by both skills test. :biggrin:
Just wanted to know...How can I know the percentage scored?

I believe they update your results on the booking site.
Original post by jimbles
I believe they update your results on the booking site.

It's only showing PASS, not the percentage!
Original post by Lyman
I was just wondering why people have chosen the PGCE route?

I'm more leaning towards the School Direct/SCITT route, but that is mainly because I'm not really near a university offering the PGCE. I'm not considering Teach First because I'm settled where I currently live, so need to make sure I am teaching locally. I'm in a different situation to you though as I'm a mature student (I'm 26 and about to finish my PhD).
Original post by magicmaiden
Has anybody here applied to Cardiff Met and heard anything yet?

I've got an interview for cardiff met, have you heard anything? :smile:
Original post by Rosie31795
I got offered an interview yesterday too! For the 23rd, so luckily I get a little longer to prepare :':wink: ah cool, I'm doing Biology :smile: Good luck again for tomorrow!

Cool, congratulations! :smile:

Good luck for your interview!
Original post by Niyo123
It's only showing PASS, not the percentage!

When I passed both mine on Friday I asked that question and I was told that you were not advised of your percentage and neither were your choices. It was just a pass or a fail so they could not 'cream' off the high scorers and discount the lower.
Reply 1336
Original post by fluffyowl
I'm more leaning towards the School Direct/SCITT route, but that is mainly because I'm not really near a university offering the PGCE. I'm not considering Teach First because I'm settled where I currently live, so need to make sure I am teaching locally. I'm in a different situation to you though as I'm a mature student (I'm 26 and about to finish my PhD).

That does make sense. I have found teach first to be quite reasonable as to where they place you. Obviously you have less control than you would when compared to PGCEs or school direct, but I've found them to be very understanding if you have reasons which require you to remain in a specific area. For example, I do quite a lot of care for my nan so it would have been difficult for me to leave London. I recently found out that I'm due to be placed in London after I outlined my reasons for wanting to be here. Friends and acquaintances who have done it have also managed to secure their location of choice for reasons very similar to yours. Uprooting your life tends to be difficult :wink:

I'm not sure where I am supposed to be placed in London, this is one drawback. I may very well have to leave north London and move south, placements depending
I feel so awkward about my reference. The person writing it always talks to me in the corridor but ignores my emails about writing my reference - I feel like there's two of her haha. But I have just sent an email after she said it would be sent off by Friday. Feel like I am hounding her, but time is of the essence!
Original post by Lambert87
Thanks a lot :smile:

Hows yours?

Gone one interview next Monday, another interview 1st Dec. I've just been working through possible questions and answers referring back to my personal statement, literate numeracy revision (doing tests on the day, don't have to do the skills test in Wales) and brushing up current education and issues. I'm so nervous but looking forward to it at the same time!
Original post by Jen Hawkins
I've got an interview for cardiff met, have you heard anything? :smile:

Well done, yes mine's on the 1st Dec. When is yours? You primary or secondary?

Quick Reply

Latest

Trending

Trending