The Student Room Group

Funding for a PGCE course?

I'm currently studying a 3 year BaHons History course and I'm thinking of staying at the uni an extra year as they offer a one year (full time) PGCE course, so I'd be qualified as a teacher by the end of the course. Ideally I want to go on to be an education officer at a museum or achives, and then eventually go into teaching secondary history so I need to take a PGCE course either way.

My question is:

Can I get funded for that course? Tuition fees are £9250 a year, same as any normal undergrad degree, and it's full time so I wouldn't be able to work much so I would probably have to take out another year of maintenance loan to cover rent for that year.
Yes

PGCE funding is at undergrad levels so you get a tuition fee loan and living costs loan (plus sometimes also a bursary) but previous study and qualification rules don’t apply to PGCEs.

You can apply now as a “new” student application for undergraduate funding for 2023/24 academic year.
Original post by FridgeMart
I'm currently studying a 3 year BaHons History course and I'm thinking of staying at the uni an extra year as they offer a one year (full time) PGCE course, so I'd be qualified as a teacher by the end of the course. Ideally I want to go on to be an education officer at a museum or achives, and then eventually go into teaching secondary history so I need to take a PGCE course either way.

My question is:

Can I get funded for that course? Tuition fees are £9250 a year, same as any normal undergrad degree, and it's full time so I wouldn't be able to work much so I would probably have to take out another year of maintenance loan to cover rent for that year.

Hi there, PGCE course are generally classed as exception course meaning you should be able to receive funding for the course. In order for the team to check this you would need to submit an application for the team to review. Once this has been received and processed the team will be in contact with you to confirm the funding you are entitled to receive. Thanks, Karen

Quick Reply

Latest

Trending

Trending