The Student Room Group

UKCAT for 2017 Entry to UK

Scroll to see replies

Original post by dr_2b
It depends on how long you spend revising. What's good in Medify is you get to see your week areas (for AR and the rest). I personally cannot comment on 1000Q but I used 600Q which had complicated patterns like: if then else or if then... From what I've read here, it looks like 1000Q is similar to 600Q.
Check out the UKCAT 2016 thread. People have mentioned tips for identifying the pattern like counting the objects, shapes, colours, angles, etc.

Alright safe safe
Original post by OneAfrica
Edinburgh might be risky unless you have amazing grades to boost your application score. Because people who apply usually have really high UKCAT scores.

I have 7A*s and 3As at GCSE and predicted A*AAA for A2 - do you think that's good enough idk it might be pretty average..
Original post by musicalmedic
That's literally the same as me! I'm thinking to stay away from UKCAT heavy unis and probs to attempt the BMAT although lol it seems really hard.. My uni choices at the moment are Bristol, Leeds (BMAT), Edinburgh and Southampton

Original post by musicalmedic
I have 7A*s and 3As at GCSE and predicted A*AAA for A2 - do you think that's good enough idk it might be pretty average..

100% avoid southampton they are well known as a very UKCAT heavy med school. As well having a low UKCAT and SJT band 2 will drop you a lot of points at Edinburgh, and it will probably drop you below the cut off score for an offer (its so so so competitive its ridiculous). Aim is dont apply anywhere if you think you will make an average application there, that isnt the point.

Leeds and bristol looking like a nice choice, the issue is your UKCAT is on the average for the past few years, but that may change heavily (especially considering there has been a loss of one section). My advice is have a good look around at each medical school and see how the value UKCAT scores (whether they have a cut off etc.) but beware as your UKCAT will drag you down in pre-interview scoring pretty much everywhere so look for places which dont take it into account heavily. With your academic and UKCAT score I would possibly consider doing 2 BMAT universities, a lot of the BMAT universities will look favourably upon your academics.
Original post by Natalierm2707
100% avoid southampton they are well known as a very UKCAT heavy med school. As well having a low UKCAT and SJT band 2 will drop you a lot of points at Edinburgh, and it will probably drop you below the cut off score for an offer (its so so so competitive its ridiculous). Aim is dont apply anywhere if you think you will make an average application there, that isnt the point.

Leeds and bristol looking like a nice choice, the issue is your UKCAT is on the average for the past few years, but that may change heavily (especially considering there has been a loss of one section). My advice is have a good look around at each medical school and see how the value UKCAT scores (whether they have a cut off etc.) but beware as your UKCAT will drag you down in pre-interview scoring pretty much everywhere so look for places which dont take it into account heavily. With your academic and UKCAT score I would possibly consider doing 2 BMAT universities, a lot of the BMAT universities will look favourably upon your academics.

Thank you so much I really appreciate your advice!
Original post by cookiemonster15
Don't worry too much about it! I had a lower score than you on Medify but when I did my UKCAT last year I ended up with 680 average over all :smile: Just keep practising and you'll get there in the end!

Wow congrats! Hopefully :smile:
Original post by UniAdmissions
Hi Isabella

You still have lots of time so it is great that you are already taking your UKCAT prep seriously. As I am sure you are already aware, the more you practise, the better you will become!

You are definitely taking the right approach by setting time aside now and in the weeks leading up to your test date rather than trying to cram right before. I am sure this will all pay off in your score.

I thought you might be interested in reading this blog which is all about why it is so important to keep on practising. Hopefully it will reassure you that all your hard work will be worth it!

Do let me know if you have any questions I can answer... always happy to help.

UniAdmissions

Original post by ronnydandam
Well done, what resources did you use? Keele, Barts, Edinburgh, not sure about others
Nope, on the Keele site it states that SJT band 4 won't meet entry requirements.

On a completely different note,

Does anyone have QR and VR advice? Any particular resources apart from Medify and the ISC/kaplan book? I can somehow manage time for QR by skipping the harder questions but my time management goes down the drain for VR...
Original post by Harpal10
Nope, on the Keele site it states that SJT band 4 won't meet entry requirements.

On a completely different note,

Does anyone have QR and VR advice? Any particular resources apart from Medify and the ISC/kaplan book? I can somehow manage time for QR by skipping the harder questions but my time management goes down the drain for VR...

That's exactly what I said
Original post by usycool1
I know what you're trying to do but TSR is hardly representative of the whole cohort. And people lie on here.

This is very true and I understand you completely but there is no harm in trying :smile:
Original post by Mariamjaan
Hey,
How do you get like this numbe((570-650)? Do you calculate or the website give to you when you do the practice questions??

Thanks

When you do the mock test the website calculates it for you!
Original post by isabella1999

No worries at all.

UniAdmissions
Original post by Maw1979
Quick question guys, and sorry it's about the 1000Q book.
The VR: I understand it's going to be long, hard and difficult on the test, I have my strategies and so far (slowly) they are working. Still not expecting a great score though.
AR: I understand this just takes practice, practice practice. Mostly to get in the habit of pattern recognition.

Here's the question. With the QR in 1000Q, I can do them. Nearly all of them. However, it takes me about 3-4 minutes on the harder questions. Even on the easier ones it's 1-2 minutes sometimes. Does everyone have this problem with the QR in the 1000Q book? What is the QR like in this book in comparison to the actual UKCAT.

Sorry for another boring question about the ISC material. I just don't want to feel like I am the only one suffering with this book!

For VR, try to look for key words in the statements then just scan through the passages. This technique has improved my time efficiency significantly and has boosted my confidence on facing this section which I used to be scared about. Reading the passage first is very time consuming(it takes me about 2/3 mins just to read it properly) and it is not practical for the UKCAT.

With QR, try to do as little solving as possible. Some of the questions can be answered quickly by eyeballing the data and then by estimating the answer and also eliminating other choices. As a result you save more time for the longer questions. Another advice I would like to give is not to delve deep into the data given(graphs,pie charts), simply try to understand the relationships between different variables.

Good luck
That's exactly what I said
My bad, I thought you meant that those Unis would accept band 4 sjt
Is the abstract mini mock on medify representative? I got 630 which is disappointing.
Everyone seems to be getting high 700's - low 800's this year - is this normal? :confused:
Original post by Pra99
Is the abstract mini mock on medify representative? I got 630 which is disappointing.

What was the duration of it?
Original post by greys-anatomy
Everyone seems to be getting high 700's - low 800's this year - is this normal? :confused:

this is TSR
What was the duration of it?

55Q in 13 mins same as real thing
Original post by Pra99
55Q in 13 mins same as real thing

oh, that's crap
Guy, in your opinion which is the best ukcat online resource ?

Quick Reply

Latest

Trending

Trending