The Student Room Group

OCR Chemistry: Trends and Patterns module

Scroll to see replies

I -did- do products - reactants.

and got -339.
Supersplodge
you have been given values for enthalpy change of FORMATION so its products - reactants = +339 kjmol-1

Ah that's where I went wrong, I did reactants - products :s-smilie:
Reply 142
Pretty sure i got that right...11 marks though?! 11? What for? My guess is as follows;

1.) What's a complex ion
2.) What's a Ligand
3.) Bonding (Dative covalent)
4.) Example structure, plus diagram
5.) Bond angle
6.) What's Ligand Substitution
7.) Example
8.) Balanced
9.) Colour 1
10.) Colour 2
11.) Structure depends on variable oxidation state...

A bit shady...not sure about the 11th...
i got -1519 - (- 1858) = +339

The last question was great imo, the biochemistry paper was even better
Reply 144
HawkAhriman
I -did- do products - reactants.

and got -339.

You must have got confused with the negatives then...because it was something like;

-1519 - (2 x -292) = 339
I also did a reaction for color change because I was running out of ideas for marks.
Reply 146
Oh yeah, the one about Magnesium Nitrate and Oxide? What was the answer to that? I think it was 'Why is the lattice enthalpy of Magnesium oxide far more exothermic than Magnesium Nitrate?'

I put that the nitrate ion was larger and so had a lower charge density than oxygen. This meant that the attraction between the nitrate and magnesium would be weaker.
Reply 147
I'm pretty sure it was positive! Thermal decomposition requires heating so I guess more energy has to be put in. Also my Hess cycle was def right.

If I put 109 for bond angle instead of 109.5 would they allow it? Got 80% Cu and koh was not in excess. 76.9% purity or something. Only thing I couldn't do on transition was to draw dxy and dx2-y2 although I have looked it up now! I got one of them right by luck. Grade boundaries have gotta be high because it was the easiest t+p I've seen!
Reply 148
seany_1214
I also did a reaction for color change because I was running out of ideas for marks.

Oh, see i used my example of Ligand substitution for the colour ones...

[Cu(H2O)6]+4NH3>[Cu(NH3)4(H2O)2]+4H2O[Cu(H_2O)_6] + 4NH_3 ----> [Cu(NH_3)_4(H_2O)_2] + 4H_2O

going from pale blue to light blue precipitate with a dark blue solution.
Nazmoth
I'm pretty sure it was positive! Thermal decomposition requires heating so I guess more energy has to be put in. Also my Hess cycle was def right.

If I put 109 for bond angle instead of 109.5 would they allow it? Got 80% Cu and koh was not in excess. 76.9% purity or something. Only thing I couldn't do on transition was to draw dxy and dx2-y2 although I have looked it up now! I got one of them right by luck. Grade boundaries have gotta be high because it was the easiest t+p I've seen!

are you kidding?
it was harder than every past paper i've done. And almost everyone i talked to found it hard. I think grade boundries will be low
Reply 150
Yeah, it was a very difficult paper. Some very odd questions.
I thought t+p was about average, but transition elements was harder than usual... I thought the questions were laid out differently compared with past papers :s-smilie:
jseldis
Oh, see i used my example of Ligand substitution for the colour ones...

[Cu(H2O)6]+4NH3>[Cu(NH3)4(H2O)2]+4H2O[Cu(H_2O)_6] + 4NH_3 ----> [Cu(NH_3)_4(H_2O)_2] + 4H_2O

going from pale blue to light blue precipitate with a dark blue solution.

Same, though I used the reaction with cl, going from pale blue to yellow...hopefull they'll give marks for these equations.
Reply 153
atoms4peace
are you kidding?
it was harder than every past paper i've done. And almost everyone i talked to found it hard. I think grade boundries will be low

Maybe it was just effective revsision. I started yesterday and did 5 t+p papers and 5 trans papers untill 2 in morning... Then got up at 6 and had 3 red bulls. I literally learnt whole thing in 8 hours. I'm pleased I did now as it was all fresh in my brain.! I reckon def got A!
Nazmoth
Maybe it was just effective revsision. I started yesterday and did 5 t+p papers and 5 trans papers untill 2 in morning... Then got up at 6 and had 3 red bulls. I literally learnt whole thing in 8 hours. I'm pleased I did now as it was all fresh in my brain.! I reckon def got A!

Good for you
Nazmoth

Grade boundries will vary depending on the option module. Seeing as though 'Transition Elements' paper was quite hard, I'm sure they stay around 78% for A, 69% for B and so on....
Reply 156
Andy Conda
Grade boundries will vary depending on the option module. Seeing as though 'Transition Elements' paper was quite hard, I'm sure they stay around 78% for A, 69% for B and so on....

Nice! I thought they would ussualy be 84% + cus these short ones are sooo much easier than organic! I will def get A!
Reply 157
does anyone remember what they put for the electrode potential answer. I got somthing like 0.37 i think. because you swap equation around so that reducing agent gets reduced etc anti clockwise rule basically, so i got 0.37
asos89
does anyone remember what they put for the electrode potential answer. I got somthing like 0.37 i think. because you swap equation around so that reducing agent gets reduced etc anti clockwise rule basically, so i got 0.37

what what what?
i dont remember that question? was this on trends and patterns?
Reply 159
asos89

Same here i got that!

Quick Reply

Latest

Trending

Trending