Turn on thread page Beta

ReputationRep:
    I -did- do products - reactants.

and got -339.

ReputationRep:
    (Original post by Supersplodge)
    you have been given values for enthalpy change of FORMATION so its products - reactants = +339 kjmol-1
    Ah that's where I went wrong, I did reactants - products

ReputationRep:
    Pretty sure i got that right...11 marks though?! 11? What for? My guess is as follows;

1.) What's a complex ion
    2.) What's a Ligand
    3.) Bonding (Dative covalent)
    4.) Example structure, plus diagram
    5.) Bond angle
    6.) What's Ligand Substitution
    7.) Example
    8.) Balanced
    9.) Colour 1
    10.) Colour 2
    11.) Structure depends on variable oxidation state...

A bit shady...not sure about the 11th...

ReputationRep:
    i got -1519 - (- 1858) = +339

The last question was great imo, the biochemistry paper was even better

ReputationRep:
    (Original post by HawkAhriman)
    I -did- do products - reactants.

and got -339.
    You must have got confused with the negatives then...because it was something like;

-1519 - (2 x -292) = 339

ReputationRep:
    I also did a reaction for color change because I was running out of ideas for marks.

ReputationRep:
    Oh yeah, the one about Magnesium Nitrate and Oxide? What was the answer to that? I think it was 'Why is the lattice enthalpy of Magnesium oxide far more exothermic than Magnesium Nitrate?'

I put that the nitrate ion was larger and so had a lower charge density than oxygen. This meant that the attraction between the nitrate and magnesium would be weaker.

ReputationRep:
    I'm pretty sure it was positive! Thermal decomposition requires heating so I guess more energy has to be put in. Also my Hess cycle was def right.

If I put 109 for bond angle instead of 109.5 would they allow it? Got 80% Cu and koh was not in excess. 76.9% purity or something. Only thing I couldn't do on transition was to draw dxy and dx2-y2 although I have looked it up now! I got one of them right by luck. Grade boundaries have gotta be high because it was the easiest t+p I've seen!

ReputationRep:
    (Original post by seany_1214)
    I also did a reaction for color change because I was running out of ideas for marks.
    Oh, see i used my example of Ligand substitution for the colour ones...

[Cu(H_2O)_6] + 4NH_3  ----> [Cu(NH_3)_4(H_2O)_2] + 4H_2O

going from pale blue to light blue precipitate with a dark blue solution.

ReputationRep:
    (Original post by Nazmoth)
    I'm pretty sure it was positive! Thermal decomposition requires heating so I guess more energy has to be put in. Also my Hess cycle was def right.

If I put 109 for bond angle instead of 109.5 would they allow it? Got 80% Cu and koh was not in excess. 76.9% purity or something. Only thing I couldn't do on transition was to draw dxy and dx2-y2 although I have looked it up now! I got one of them right by luck. Grade boundaries have gotta be high because it was the easiest t+p I've seen!
    are you kidding?
    it was harder than every past paper i've done. And almost everyone i talked to found it hard. I think grade boundries will be low

ReputationRep:
    Yeah, it was a very difficult paper. Some very odd questions.

ReputationRep:
    I thought t+p was about average, but transition elements was harder than usual... I thought the questions were laid out differently compared with past papers

ReputationRep:
    (Original post by jseldis)
    Oh, see i used my example of Ligand substitution for the colour ones...

[Cu(H_2O)_6] + 4NH_3  ----> [Cu(NH_3)_4(H_2O)_2] + 4H_2O

going from pale blue to light blue precipitate with a dark blue solution.
    Same, though I used the reaction with cl, going from pale blue to yellow...hopefull they'll give marks for these equations.

ReputationRep:
    (Original post by atoms4peace)
    are you kidding?
    it was harder than every past paper i've done. And almost everyone i talked to found it hard. I think grade boundries will be low
    Maybe it was just effective revsision. I started yesterday and did 5 t+p papers and 5 trans papers untill 2 in morning... Then got up at 6 and had 3 red bulls. I literally learnt whole thing in 8 hours. I'm pleased I did now as it was all fresh in my brain.! I reckon def got A!

ReputationRep:
    Maybe it was just effective revsision. I started yesterday and did 5 t+p papers and 5 trans papers untill 2 in morning... Then got up at 6 and had 3 red bulls. I literally learnt whole thing in 8 hours. I'm pleased I did now as it was all fresh in my brain.! I reckon def got A!
    Good for you

Grade boundries will vary depending on the option module. Seeing as though 'Transition Elements' paper was quite hard, I'm sure they stay around 78% for A, 69% for B and so on....

ReputationRep:
    (Original post by Andy Conda)
    Grade boundries will vary depending on the option module. Seeing as though 'Transition Elements' paper was quite hard, I'm sure they stay around 78% for A, 69% for B and so on....
    Nice! I thought they would ussualy be 84% + cus these short ones are sooo much easier than organic! I will def get A!

ReputationRep:
    does anyone remember what they put for the electrode potential answer. I got somthing like 0.37 i think. because you swap equation around so that reducing agent gets reduced etc anti clockwise rule basically, so i got 0.37

ReputationRep:
    (Original post by asos89)
    does anyone remember what they put for the electrode potential answer. I got somthing like 0.37 i think. because you swap equation around so that reducing agent gets reduced etc anti clockwise rule basically, so i got 0.37
    what what what?
    i dont remember that question? was this on trends and patterns?

ReputationRep:
    (Original post by asos89)
    Same here i got that!

Submit reply
Turn on thread page Beta
Updated: April 13, 2013

University open days

• Heriot-Watt University
    School of Textiles and Design Undergraduate
    Fri, 16 Nov '18
  • University of Roehampton
    All departments Undergraduate
    Sat, 17 Nov '18
  • Edge Hill University
    Faculty of Health and Social Care Undergraduate
    Sat, 17 Nov '18
Poll
Black Friday: Yay or Nay?

The Student Room, Get Revising and Marked by Teachers are trading names of The Student Room Group Ltd.

Register Number: 04666380 (England and Wales), VAT No. 806 8067 22 Registered Office: International House, Queens Road, Brighton, BN1 3XE

Write a reply...
Hide
Reputation gems: You get these gems as you gain rep from other members for making good contributions and giving helpful advice.