The Student Room Group

Oxford MAT 2013/2014

Scroll to see replies

Reply 160
i've also heard something about a five week online class kind of thing run by manchester uni on monday evenings. it's not free though, if i remember correctly it was fifty quid.
Posted from TSR Mobile
This one's organised by prospective students and it's free. Are you going? I am.
Original post by megiddo_
i've also heard something about a five week online class kind of thing run by manchester uni on monday evenings. it's not free though, if i remember correctly it was fifty quid.

I've signed up for this^^ :biggrin:
Original post by megiddo_

This one's organised by prospective Ox/Imp applicants. Do have a think! The more, the merrier.
Reply 164
i am definetly there please do text me [Removed], i am in the greenwich area so it not that far from me just start the messae with oxford mat so i know what its about

Original post by NewtonsApple
Hi there,

I was wondering if you would be interested in attending one of these MAT Preparation days, given you may be applying to Oxford or Imperial this year (similar to my position!).

Its a free preparation day for the MAT exam where we all attempt past papers and then collectively discuss answers.

It should be held soon on the 15th September, and will be held at the British Library at 11am.

Please let me know if you're interested! There are 4 people already going!

Thanks!
(edited 10 years ago)
Round two!
Original post by Savvy Sage
Round two!

Posted from TSR Mobile
Of what?

My second attempt at the MAT
Reply 168
Original post by so it goes
If you meant showing them that you have an interest outside of maths which you will mention on your personal statement which they'd probably ask you about in your interview then just pick a subject that seems interesting and read up on it. For example, I chose cryptography as it seemed quite interesting to me so I thought it would be easier to learn about :colondollar:
Thank you very much for the advice!
Reply 169
Original post by yl95
Posted from TSR Mobile
This one's organised by prospective students and it's free. Are you going? I am.

unfortunately i don't think the 200 mile journey is entirely practical...:tongue:
Reply 170
My second attempt at the MAT

What happened last year? I'm also a post A level applicant, although I'm sitting the MAT for Imperial, not Ox.
Original post by CD315
What happened last year? I'm also a post A level applicant, although I'm sitting the MAT for Imperial, not Ox.

Rejected post interview. I'm a post A-Level applicant too but I don't know if I will be applying to Ox/Imp at this stage. I'll be preparing for them anyway just in case I do decide to reapply there.
Reply 172
Rejected post interview. I'm a post A-Level applicant too but I don't know if I will be applying to Ox/Imp at this stage. I'll be preparing for them anyway just in case I do decide to reapply there.

Ah right, ok. How did your A2 results go? I'm applying to Cam instead of Ox, but definitely applying to Imp too.
Original post by CD315
Ah right, ok. How did your A2 results go? I'm applying to Cam instead of Ox, but definitely applying to Imp too.

I did the IB, and did terribly. The most important subject, Maths went really badly for Stats paper and I don't know if I have valid extenuating circumstances to re-apply. In essence, I'm a simple resit student. :frown: so I'm no sure applying to Ox/Imp is a good idea for me :s-smilie: I also heard a rumour Imperial don't accept resits etc. for Maths and applying to Oxford with poor grades is just ludicrous. Best of luck at Cam :smile:
Original post by NewtonsApple
Hi there,

I was wondering if you would be interested in attending one of these MAT Preparation days, given you may be applying to Oxford or Imperial this year (similar to my position!).

Its a free preparation day for the MAT exam where we all attempt past papers and then collectively discuss answers.

It should be held soon on the 15th September, and will be held at the British Library at 11am.

Please let me know if you're interested! There are 4 people already going!

Thanks!

I'd really like to go, unfortunately it would require a 2.5 hour car journey :frown:
Original post by Affine
Thank you very much for the advice!

No problem :biggrin:
'09 paper: somewhere between 65 and 69 so I'm happy.
Reply 177
What is the maximum mark for the papers? If it's 100, and applicants need 70+ to be shortlisted, I'm really going to struggle.
Original post by TSR561
What is the maximum mark for the papers? If it's 100, and applicants need 70+ to be shortlisted, I'm really going to struggle.

Noooo, you don't need that to be shortlisted; I'm assuming you mean to get interviewed when you say 'shortlisted'. Applicants from around 53+ get interviewed.

Posted from TSR Mobile
Reply 179
Original post by TSR561

70 is the average amongst those who are successful in getting an offer. People have gotten below 60 and got an offer, but you still have over a month to work at it, keep it up!

Original post by yl95
Applicants from around 53+ get interviewed.

I believe it's whatever the average mark is for that year (but do correct me if I'm wrong)

Quick Reply

Latest

Trending

Trending