Hey there! Sign in to join this conversationNew here? Join for free

Oxford MAT 2013/2014 Watch

Announcements

ReputationRep:
    i've also heard something about a five week online class kind of thing run by manchester uni on monday evenings. it's not free though, if i remember correctly it was fifty quid.

ReputationRep:
    Posted from TSR Mobile
    This one's organised by prospective students and it's free. Are you going? I am.

ReputationRep:
    (Original post by megiddo_)
    i've also heard something about a five week online class kind of thing run by manchester uni on monday evenings. it's not free though, if i remember correctly it was fifty quid.
    I've signed up for this^^

ReputationRep:
    (Original post by megiddo_)
    This one's organised by prospective Ox/Imp applicants. Do have a think! The more, the merrier.

ReputationRep:
    i am definetly there please do text me [Removed], i am in the greenwich area so it not that far from me just start the messae with oxford mat so i know what its about

(Original post by NewtonsApple)
    Hi there,

I was wondering if you would be interested in attending one of these MAT Preparation days, given you may be applying to Oxford or Imperial this year (similar to my position!).

Its a free preparation day for the MAT exam where we all attempt past papers and then collectively discuss answers.

It should be held soon on the 15th September, and will be held at the British Library at 11am.

Please let me know if you're interested! There are 4 people already going!

Thanks!

ReputationRep:
    Round two!

ReputationRep:
    (Original post by Savvy Sage)
    Round two!

Posted from TSR Mobile
    Of what?

ReputationRep:
    My second attempt at the MAT

ReputationRep:
    (Original post by so it goes)
    If you meant showing them that you have an interest outside of maths which you will mention on your personal statement which they'd probably ask you about in your interview then just pick a subject that seems interesting and read up on it. For example, I chose cryptography as it seemed quite interesting to me so I thought it would be easier to learn about
    Thank you very much for the advice!

ReputationRep:
    (Original post by yl95)
    Posted from TSR Mobile
    This one's organised by prospective students and it's free. Are you going? I am.
    unfortunately i don't think the 200 mile journey is entirely practical...

ReputationRep:
    My second attempt at the MAT
    What happened last year? I'm also a post A level applicant, although I'm sitting the MAT for Imperial, not Ox.

ReputationRep:
    (Original post by CD315)
    What happened last year? I'm also a post A level applicant, although I'm sitting the MAT for Imperial, not Ox.
    Rejected post interview. I'm a post A-Level applicant too but I don't know if I will be applying to Ox/Imp at this stage. I'll be preparing for them anyway just in case I do decide to reapply there.

ReputationRep:
    Rejected post interview. I'm a post A-Level applicant too but I don't know if I will be applying to Ox/Imp at this stage. I'll be preparing for them anyway just in case I do decide to reapply there.
    Ah right, ok. How did your A2 results go? I'm applying to Cam instead of Ox, but definitely applying to Imp too.

ReputationRep:
    (Original post by CD315)
    Ah right, ok. How did your A2 results go? I'm applying to Cam instead of Ox, but definitely applying to Imp too.
    I did the IB, and did terribly. The most important subject, Maths went really badly for Stats paper and I don't know if I have valid extenuating circumstances to re-apply. In essence, I'm a simple resit student. so I'm no sure applying to Ox/Imp is a good idea for me I also heard a rumour Imperial don't accept resits etc. for Maths and applying to Oxford with poor grades is just ludicrous. Best of luck at Cam

ReputationRep:
    (Original post by NewtonsApple)
    Hi there,

I was wondering if you would be interested in attending one of these MAT Preparation days, given you may be applying to Oxford or Imperial this year (similar to my position!).

Its a free preparation day for the MAT exam where we all attempt past papers and then collectively discuss answers.

It should be held soon on the 15th September, and will be held at the British Library at 11am.

Please let me know if you're interested! There are 4 people already going!

Thanks!
    I'd really like to go, unfortunately it would require a 2.5 hour car journey

ReputationRep:
    (Original post by Affine)
    Thank you very much for the advice!
    No problem

ReputationRep:
    '09 paper: somewhere between 65 and 69 so I'm happy.

ReputationRep:
    What is the maximum mark for the papers? If it's 100, and applicants need 70+ to be shortlisted, I'm really going to struggle.

ReputationRep:
    (Original post by TSR561)
    What is the maximum mark for the papers? If it's 100, and applicants need 70+ to be shortlisted, I'm really going to struggle.
    Noooo, you don't need that to be shortlisted; I'm assuming you mean to get interviewed when you say 'shortlisted'. Applicants from around 53+ get interviewed.

Posted from TSR Mobile

ReputationRep:
    (Original post by TSR561)
    70 is the average amongst those who are successful in getting an offer. People have gotten below 60 and got an offer, but you still have over a month to work at it, keep it up!

(Original post by yl95)
    Applicants from around 53+ get interviewed.
    I believe it's whatever the average mark is for that year (but do correct me if I'm wrong)

• See more of what you like on The Student Room

You can personalise what you see on TSR. Tell us a little about yourself to get started.

• Poll
    Will you be richer or poorer than your parents?
  • See more of what you like on The Student Room

You can personalise what you see on TSR. Tell us a little about yourself to get started.

• The Student Room, Get Revising and Marked by Teachers are trading names of The Student Room Group Ltd.

Register Number: 04666380 (England and Wales), VAT No. 806 8067 22 Registered Office: International House, Queens Road, Brighton, BN1 3XE

Quick reply
    Reputation gems: You get these gems as you gain rep from other members for making good contributions and giving helpful advice.