Hey there! Sign in to join this conversationNew here? Join for free

ReputationRep:
    (Original post by Shelly_x)
    If your reference is a school head teacher then you really need to relax. Essentially, you've given them one day if you submitted on Thursday. They have no obligation to do anything school related on a weekend and I think you'll understand why they need that time off once you become a teacher!
    Completely, I mean godforbid they actually teach!! I know this, I just want to know they have received it that's all. Obviously uploading the reference asap would be wonderful, but... just knowing they have received would be nice.

ReputationRep:
    Can anyone point me to where it says that some unis will be closing their applications in 2 weeks? I can't find this anywhere, is it just rumour or fact? I was led to believe we had, in theory, until September '14! thanks.

ReputationRep:
    (Original post by alabelle)
    Nah, my first skills test isn't til the 6th December, so I have nearly two weeks before that. If my referees haven't finished by then I'll be more worried about the universities closing to applications rather than my skills tests...
    Got mixed up between you and jeffercake

Posted from TSR Mobile

ReputationRep:
    The head teacher I'm using for my second referee has said she is busy at the moment but will complete it this week, will that be too late? I just want to send it now!

Posted from TSR Mobile

ReputationRep:
    (Original post by Mrs L)
    Can anyone point me to where it says that some unis will be closing their applications in 2 weeks? I can't find this anywhere, is it just rumour or fact? I was led to believe we had, in theory, until September '14! thanks.
    The admissions lady at St. Mary's said that if the course at a particular uni gets lots of applications, then can close after 2 weeks and then re-open once they have sifted through some. I guess if there is enough applications they won't re-open

ReputationRep:
    (Original post by steph_cook92)
    The head teacher I'm using for my second referee has said she is busy at the moment but will complete it this week, will that be too late? I just want to send it now!

Posted from TSR Mobile
    Your lucky you got a reply, mine hasn't responded! No that's no too late at all

ReputationRep:
    (Original post by womanonamission)
    Your lucky you got a reply, mine hasn't responded! No that's no too late at all
    Have you tried emailing them? I'm so impatient!

Posted from TSR Mobile

ReputationRep:
    (Original post by KatieB1991)
    Hi everyone. I'm a bit confused with my application as when I click on 'check form' it says everything is completed apart from choices, under which it says 'see below' and explains 'The availability of your choices may change between now and when you pay and send your application to UCAS. You can finalise them up until just before you pay and send your application to UCAS'. I've saved and clicked complete on everyhting but how do I know if it has been sent to my references?!
    You need to go back into the References header on the left, and make sure you click 'SEND TO REFEREES' or something along those lines.

Otherwise an e-mail will not be sent asking your referees to submit their references.

ReputationRep:
    (Original post by steph_cook92)
    Have you tried emailing them? I'm so impatient!

Posted from TSR Mobile
    My uni one said he will do it today at the latest... no sign yet so I e-mailed asking him to let me know when he has sent it off, as I have heard I may not receive a confirmation from UCAS (made that up!).

And I have e-mailed the headteacher about 3 times since Thursday making up numerous information on each one! ('check your junk folder', 'just a reminder').... She must hate me lol

ReputationRep:
    (Original post by jeffercake)
    Yes! Second reference done! All paid and sent! So excited
    Good luck!!!! My I waiting on my uni ref, he's accepted but no ref yet, I just want it paid and sent!!!! Lol

ReputationRep:
    (Original post by Mrs L)
    I'm on my phone so can't point you to a webpage, but I read it on the UCAS page explaining how it works. It's at the unis discretion though. They just need to make sure they're open for at least two weeks, then they can do what they want. It doesn't mean they will close, but who knows.

Posted from TSR Mobile

ReputationRep:
    http://www.education.gov.uk/get-into...ning/apply-now

That is where the amount of places offered by each provider is, if you didn't know

ReputationRep:
    My first reference from the teacher/head teacher has been received. The teacher who helped write it talked me through what she'd put and my goodness me, I sound fabulous! Haha, I'm surprised I wasn't glowing!

I've had an email from my academic reference saying he's been away and has lots of emails to sift through, but will aim to get to it tomorrow, at least to accept it. I believe he's already written it as I asked long before the deadline got pushed back.

Argh nervous, but pleased that so long as my second reference goes in this week, I should stand a chance of at least being considered!

ReputationRep:
    No, not if you haven't officially sent the form, as in with the references completed.

(Original post by Marcusian)
    Thanks I thought I could cancel it and then resubmit! The uni I apply for won't have seen this application will they?

ReputationRep:
    Guys... I mean this out of kindness, not nastiness, but some of you have to lay off the pestering of references/referees!

Applications went live on Thursday.

It is Monday.

Seriously. Calm down. Courses must remain open for a minimum of two weeks, meaning you have until at least next Thursday to get it paid and sent off.

Remember what you're asking them for - a reference. And you preferably want a good one. The more you pester them the more annoying you will become and the more likely the reference is to be less than favourable!

As long as you've already asked your references to write one (I asked mine 5 weeks ago now) and they both said yes, then just send the reference request and wait patiently. Maybe send them one e-mail saying "Hi, I have just sent the reference requests via UCAS blah blah blah blah... if you could complete it as timely as possible that would be much appreciated as providers only have to stay open for two weeks at a minimum. Thank you.". Then leave it for at least three or four days.

Nobody should be freaking out yet.

ReputationRep:
    Am applying, have completed my personal statement.

Under the 'School and Work Experience', are they asking only for relevant experience ie time in schools etc? Or do I need to include all positions I've held since leaving university?

Thanks in advance

ReputationRep:
    (Original post by Deja Vu)
    Guys... I mean this out of kindness, not nastiness, but some of you have to lay off the pestering of references/referees!

Applications went live on Thursday.

It is Monday.

Seriously. Calm down. Courses must remain open for a minimum of two weeks, meaning you have until at least next Thursday to get it paid and sent off.

Remember what you're asking them for - a reference. And you preferably want a good one. The more you pester them the more annoying you will become and the more likely the reference is to be less than favourable!

As long as you've already asked your references to write one (I asked mine 5 weeks ago now) and they both said yes, then just send the reference request and wait patiently. Maybe send them one e-mail saying "Hi, I have just sent the reference requests via UCAS blah blah blah blah... if you could complete it as timely as possible that would be much appreciated as providers only have to stay open for two weeks at a minimum. Thank you.". Then leave it for at least three or four days.

Nobody should be freaking out yet.
    You're right. It feels like a long time ago but applications only opened four days ago... and for people like me who only sent off on Saturday, there's only been one working day for our referees to have even seen the emails. It's hard to apply logic in a situation like this though!

I know everyone is freaking out that universities might close their applications in two weeks but I think it's worth noting that most people are depending on a referee who is a teacher... they aren't going to be able to do the references immediately. So chances are there will be some delay before 99% of applications are sent! Universities can't close for applications if they haven't even received half of the ones they're expecting yet... I hope that makes sense.

ReputationRep:
    (Original post by alabelle)
    You're right. It feels like a long time ago but applications only opened four days ago... and for people like me who only sent off on Saturday, there's only been one working day for our referees to have even seen the emails. It's hard to apply logic in a situation like this though!

I know everyone is freaking out that universities might close their applications in two weeks but I think it's worth noting that most people are depending on a referee who is a teacher... they aren't going to be able to do the references immediately. So chances are there will be some delay before 99% of applications are sent! Universities can't close for applications if they haven't even received half of the ones they're expecting yet... I hope that makes sense.
    Exactly... four days ago and two days of them were the weekend. So really only two actual working days. You wouldn't e-mail the council office on a Friday night and expect a reply on the Saturday or Sunday. Teachers are the same - many of them will already have to spend a few hours per weekend working anyway, I doubt they will want to be finding extra work to do on a weekend in the form of checking e-mails/submitting references! I certainly wouldn't - I'd be looking to get as much as possible done in the week and try and keep as much "me time" on a weekend as possible.

Also, I understand and agree with your second bit. I doubt most unis will close applications dead on next Thursday even if that is the minimum time. I don't see what they'd gain. Obviously it's better to be safe than sorry, but either way, it's still over a week away yet. Really no need for panicking.

I sent my application off to my references on Thursday night. One of my references had submitted his reference by 8:05am on Friday morning, the other has accepted it and not done anything since. I haven't got in touch -- they obviously got the e-mail as they have accepted the request, so I'm just waiting for them to submit it. I won't be pestering until maybe Thursday or Friday. I am hoping that it will be done before Friday, but not because I am worried about applications closing. I am just aware that the sooner it gets sent off, the sooner the unis will receive it, and the sooner I will receive an offer or rejection (within 40 working days). That's the only reason I want it sent off, really.

ReputationRep:
    (Original post by Deja Vu)
    Exactly... four days ago and two days of them were the weekend. So really only two actual working days. You wouldn't e-mail the council office on a Friday night and expect a reply on the Saturday or Sunday. Teachers are the same - many of them will already have to spend a few hours per weekend working anyway, I doubt they will want to be finding extra work to do on a weekend in the form of checking e-mails/submitting references! I certainly wouldn't - I'd be looking to get as much as possible done in the week and try and keep as much "me time" on a weekend as possible.

Also, I understand and agree with your second bit. I doubt most unis will close applications dead on next Thursday even if that is the minimum time. I don't see what they'd gain. Obviously it's better to be safe than sorry, but either way, it's still over a week away yet. Really no need for panicking.

I sent my application off to my references on Thursday night. One of my references had submitted his reference by 8:05am on Friday morning, the other has accepted it and not done anything since. I haven't got in touch -- they obviously got the e-mail as they have accepted the request, so I'm just waiting for them to submit it. I won't be pestering until maybe Thursday or Friday. I am hoping that it will be done before Friday, but not because I am worried about applications closing. I am just aware that the sooner it gets sent off, the sooner the unis will receive it, and the sooner I will receive an offer or rejection (within 40 working days). That's the only reason I want it sent off, really.
    I agree that people shouldn't be pestering their referees. I think it's harder for those of us who haven't heard anything though. At least your referees have accepted and you have one submitted already - that's incredibly quick! I think the rest of us are just hoping we can hear back as soon as that.

ReputationRep:
    (Original post by womanonamission)
    I am going through exactly the same thing. I have emailed the headteacher three times now! And still no reply... What can we do in this scenario! You spend so much time on your application for it potentially to be ruined by a third party...

Posted from TSR Mobile
    seems crazy they don't let you get your references before the date opens as you're so reliant on other people now ;/

• See more of what you like on The Student Room

You can personalise what you see on TSR. Tell us a little about yourself to get started.

• Poll
    Brussels sprouts
  • See more of what you like on The Student Room

You can personalise what you see on TSR. Tell us a little about yourself to get started.

• The Student Room, Get Revising and Marked by Teachers are trading names of The Student Room Group Ltd.

Register Number: 04666380 (England and Wales), VAT No. 806 8067 22 Registered Office: International House, Queens Road, Brighton, BN1 3XE

Quick reply
    Reputation gems: You get these gems as you gain rep from other members for making good contributions and giving helpful advice.