The Student Room Group

Scroll to see replies

Original post by Mrs L
Can anyone point me to where it says that some unis will be closing their applications in 2 weeks? I can't find this anywhere, is it just rumour or fact? I was led to believe we had, in theory, until September '14! thanks.

I'm on my phone so can't point you to a webpage, but I read it on the UCAS page explaining how it works. It's at the unis discretion though. They just need to make sure they're open for at least two weeks, then they can do what they want. It doesn't mean they will close, but who knows.

Posted from TSR Mobile
http://www.education.gov.uk/get-into-teaching/apply-for-teacher-training/apply-now

That is where the amount of places offered by each provider is, if you didn't know :smile:
My first reference from the teacher/head teacher has been received. The teacher who helped write it talked me through what she'd put and my goodness me, I sound fabulous! Haha, I'm surprised I wasn't glowing!

I've had an email from my academic reference saying he's been away and has lots of emails to sift through, but will aim to get to it tomorrow, at least to accept it. I believe he's already written it as I asked long before the deadline got pushed back.

Argh nervous, but pleased that so long as my second reference goes in this week, I should stand a chance of at least being considered!
No, not if you haven't officially sent the form, as in with the references completed.

Original post by Marcusian
Thanks I thought I could cancel it and then resubmit! The uni I apply for won't have seen this application will they?
Reply 1784
Guys... I mean this out of kindness, not nastiness, but some of you have to lay off the pestering of references/referees!

Applications went live on Thursday.

It is Monday.

Seriously. Calm down. Courses must remain open for a minimum of two weeks, meaning you have until at least next Thursday to get it paid and sent off.

Remember what you're asking them for - a reference. And you preferably want a good one. The more you pester them the more annoying you will become and the more likely the reference is to be less than favourable!

As long as you've already asked your references to write one (I asked mine 5 weeks ago now) and they both said yes, then just send the reference request and wait patiently. Maybe send them one e-mail saying "Hi, I have just sent the reference requests via UCAS blah blah blah blah... if you could complete it as timely as possible that would be much appreciated as providers only have to stay open for two weeks at a minimum. Thank you.". Then leave it for at least three or four days.

Nobody should be freaking out yet.
Am applying, have completed my personal statement.

Under the 'School and Work Experience', are they asking only for relevant experience ie time in schools etc? Or do I need to include all positions I've held since leaving university?

Thanks in advance :smile:
Original post by Deja Vu
Guys... I mean this out of kindness, not nastiness, but some of you have to lay off the pestering of references/referees!

Applications went live on Thursday.

It is Monday.

Seriously. Calm down. Courses must remain open for a minimum of two weeks, meaning you have until at least next Thursday to get it paid and sent off.

Remember what you're asking them for - a reference. And you preferably want a good one. The more you pester them the more annoying you will become and the more likely the reference is to be less than favourable!

As long as you've already asked your references to write one (I asked mine 5 weeks ago now) and they both said yes, then just send the reference request and wait patiently. Maybe send them one e-mail saying "Hi, I have just sent the reference requests via UCAS blah blah blah blah... if you could complete it as timely as possible that would be much appreciated as providers only have to stay open for two weeks at a minimum. Thank you.". Then leave it for at least three or four days.

Nobody should be freaking out yet.

You're right. It feels like a long time ago but applications only opened four days ago... and for people like me who only sent off on Saturday, there's only been one working day for our referees to have even seen the emails. It's hard to apply logic in a situation like this though!

I know everyone is freaking out that universities might close their applications in two weeks but I think it's worth noting that most people are depending on a referee who is a teacher... they aren't going to be able to do the references immediately. So chances are there will be some delay before 99% of applications are sent! Universities can't close for applications if they haven't even received half of the ones they're expecting yet... I hope that makes sense.
Reply 1787
Original post by alabelle
You're right. It feels like a long time ago but applications only opened four days ago... and for people like me who only sent off on Saturday, there's only been one working day for our referees to have even seen the emails. It's hard to apply logic in a situation like this though!

I know everyone is freaking out that universities might close their applications in two weeks but I think it's worth noting that most people are depending on a referee who is a teacher... they aren't going to be able to do the references immediately. So chances are there will be some delay before 99% of applications are sent! Universities can't close for applications if they haven't even received half of the ones they're expecting yet... I hope that makes sense.

Exactly... four days ago and two days of them were the weekend. So really only two actual working days. You wouldn't e-mail the council office on a Friday night and expect a reply on the Saturday or Sunday. Teachers are the same - many of them will already have to spend a few hours per weekend working anyway, I doubt they will want to be finding extra work to do on a weekend in the form of checking e-mails/submitting references! I certainly wouldn't - I'd be looking to get as much as possible done in the week and try and keep as much "me time" on a weekend as possible.

Also, I understand and agree with your second bit. I doubt most unis will close applications dead on next Thursday even if that is the minimum time. I don't see what they'd gain. Obviously it's better to be safe than sorry, but either way, it's still over a week away yet. Really no need for panicking.

I sent my application off to my references on Thursday night. One of my references had submitted his reference by 8:05am on Friday morning, the other has accepted it and not done anything since. I haven't got in touch -- they obviously got the e-mail as they have accepted the request, so I'm just waiting for them to submit it. I won't be pestering until maybe Thursday or Friday. I am hoping that it will be done before Friday, but not because I am worried about applications closing. I am just aware that the sooner it gets sent off, the sooner the unis will receive it, and the sooner I will receive an offer or rejection (within 40 working days). That's the only reason I want it sent off, really.
Original post by Deja Vu
Exactly... four days ago and two days of them were the weekend. So really only two actual working days. You wouldn't e-mail the council office on a Friday night and expect a reply on the Saturday or Sunday. Teachers are the same - many of them will already have to spend a few hours per weekend working anyway, I doubt they will want to be finding extra work to do on a weekend in the form of checking e-mails/submitting references! I certainly wouldn't - I'd be looking to get as much as possible done in the week and try and keep as much "me time" on a weekend as possible.

Also, I understand and agree with your second bit. I doubt most unis will close applications dead on next Thursday even if that is the minimum time. I don't see what they'd gain. Obviously it's better to be safe than sorry, but either way, it's still over a week away yet. Really no need for panicking.

I sent my application off to my references on Thursday night. One of my references had submitted his reference by 8:05am on Friday morning, the other has accepted it and not done anything since. I haven't got in touch -- they obviously got the e-mail as they have accepted the request, so I'm just waiting for them to submit it. I won't be pestering until maybe Thursday or Friday. I am hoping that it will be done before Friday, but not because I am worried about applications closing. I am just aware that the sooner it gets sent off, the sooner the unis will receive it, and the sooner I will receive an offer or rejection (within 40 working days). That's the only reason I want it sent off, really.

I agree that people shouldn't be pestering their referees. I think it's harder for those of us who haven't heard anything though. At least your referees have accepted and you have one submitted already - that's incredibly quick! I think the rest of us are just hoping we can hear back as soon as that.
Reply 1789
Original post by womanonamission
I am going through exactly the same thing. I have emailed the headteacher three times now! And still no reply... What can we do in this scenario! You spend so much time on your application for it potentially to be ruined by a third party...

Posted from TSR Mobile

seems crazy they don't let you get your references before the date opens as you're so reliant on other people now ;/
Reply 1790
It feels like 2 weeks has gone by since Thursday already! My 2nd referee hasn't even acknowledged the request yet, but I'm in school tomorrow so I'll explain the whole 2 week thing and hopefully that'll help! Thanks.
Reply 1791
I agree that people shouldn't be pestering their referees. I think it's harder for those of us who haven't heard anything though. At least your referees have accepted and you have one submitted already - that's incredibly quick! I think the rest of us are just hoping we can hear back as soon as that.

I'm assuming you've already asked your references previously though (not through UCAS), and they said yes to writing one?

In which case I don't see what is to worry about. They'll probably log in, accept the reference and then submit it all in one go :smile: As opposed to my second referee who has logged in/accepted it but seems to be waiting to submit it later.

I wouldn't worry about it (easier said than done though!) as chances are I could be waiting a while for my second reference to submit it, and someone whose reference hasn't logged in/accepted it yet could log in tomorrow, accept it and submit it all in one go. So there's no guarantee either way, you just have to give them a few days and see. And THEN pester :biggrin: :colone:
Hi, anyone elses reference email not been received yet? I completed and asked for references to be sent on Friday morning and they have not got to my referees yet?
Finally sent my reference requests. Nervous! xD
Original post by Deja Vu
I'm assuming you've already asked your references previously though (not through UCAS), and they said yes to writing one?

In which case I don't see what is to worry about. They'll probably log in, accept the reference and then submit it all in one go :smile: As opposed to my second referee who has logged in/accepted it but seems to be waiting to submit it later.

I wouldn't worry about it (easier said than done though!) as chances are I could be waiting a while for my second reference to submit it, and someone whose reference hasn't logged in/accepted it yet could log in tomorrow, accept it and submit it all in one go. So there's no guarantee either way, you just have to give them a few days and see. And THEN pester :biggrin: :colone:

I asked my academic reference a few weeks in advance but I only asked my school referee a week ago, since I wanted to wait until I'd been at the school for more than five days.

I'm not so worried that she won't do it (she's already said she will), more that the places I want will be closed by then! She's a busy lady so I can't really rest easy til I see that she's done it :tongue:
Original post by xxstace123xx
http://www.education.gov.uk/get-into-teaching/apply-for-teacher-training/apply-now

That is where the amount of places offered by each provider is, if you didn't know :smile:

Thanks for this. I will have a look later because it won't open the spreadsheet on my phone. I asked on the official get into teaching Facebook and they couldn't tell me how to find place numbers!

Bit nervous to check though because it will probably just make me even more pessimistic! Ha.

Posted from TSR Mobile
Original post by Twinkles1986
Hi, anyone elses reference email not been received yet? I completed and asked for references to be sent on Friday morning and they have not got to my referees yet?

Get them to check their junk folder? I know that can be a problem sometimes.
Original post by kpwxx
Don't feel really bad. It depends on the course and uni. The year before I applied my uni had 500 and something applicants... They can't possibly interview all of those, the only had 200 something interviews.

Also remember that not being invited for interview, or offered a place for that matter, doesn't mean you won't still make a superb teacher some day. It just means they decided that you need some more time to gain experience, hone your reflective skills or mature personally a little more. Or, with the reduction in places, it could well mean they just had a tough decision as they had more great applicants than they did places. Many people apply several times before getting on to teacher training and go on to excell.

Xxx

Posted from TSR Mobile

Thanks for this post- makes me feel better about it. I know how large the numbers are. I think I've convinced myself I'm not going to get a place so much that I won't be too upset because I'm expecting it. I think this is good for me though, it means I'm planning what to do until applying next year, and if I get a place it will be a great surprise. It's just the way my mind operates XD

Posted from TSR Mobile
Get them to check their junk folder? I know that can be a problem sometimes.

Hi,
I've just come on here to ask the same thing! Neither of me references have been received emails even though I sent them last Thursday! It's stressing me out as we can't send applications off until they've replied :frown:
Original post by espeight11
Hi,
I've just come on here to ask the same thing! Neither of me references have been received emails even though I sent them last Thursday! It's stressing me out as we can't send applications off until they've replied :frown:

They have checked Junk folders and still not there. Annoyed that i was ready so early and now i am delayed because of this.

Latest

Trending

Trending