The Student Room Group

Civil service fast stream 2014/2015

Scroll to see replies

Original post by d41k57
I sent parity a message about it and they are having a bit of a delay but they hope for next week sometime.

Thanks, maybe all isn't lost for me yet.
What are these guys playing at? Pass marks reviewed at the end of January my arse.
Just had my FSAC a couple of days ago... I felt I was doing alright until I came to the final exercise of the day which was the policy recommendation one. I only managed to write 2 pages in total - most of it very vague, failed to incorporate any averages and stats.

I was just too tired to be able to concentrate to my potential. I'm not sure how they will take this, but I'm almost certain I have failed the day.

Has anyone experienced anything similar? What are the chances of success given the circumstances? Has anyone felt they absolutely tanked on one exercise but still passed/amber banded?

For the policy recommendation exercise I advise candidates to first fully understand what is asked of them which will allow you to plan and structure your piece. I would then read as much as possible, picking up relevant information regarding the question.

Practice speed reading, but also make sure you eat well on the day and stay hydrated. I found having a chocolate bar before the leadership exercise really helped me.
Hi smokes90, the Assessment Centre is designed to test the competencies more than once. That gives you an opportunity to make up for a poor exercise. Most candidates will have one or more exercises that they particularly struggled with. Depending on how well you've performed in other exercises, the averages could still work out fine.

In my case when I was a candidate, I completely screwed up an aspect of the group exercise. Alas, I made up for it in other exercises and still got a good (passing) score.
Hi obamtl,

Thank you for your reply. I hope that is the case. How did you screw up the group exercise? That was perhaps my second worst task. I didn't feel i had enough information at the table to make a solid case. But i persevered anddtried to cooperate as best as possible by suggesting ways we could come to an agreement - I suggested we come up with a package rather than concentrate on positions. I managed to get one of the policies through which i didn't expect at the start of the group exercise.

Anyway, I guess its just a waiting game now. Fingers crossed.

Good luck to everyone else. I would be more than happy to answer any particular questions regarding the FSAC day.
Reply 1965
Anyone know roughly when the FSBs for DS will be? I previously read 'early march' somewhere but i've heard April floated around..

Wishful thinking as I've been amber banded for DS but I'd rather be prepared as I'm in Switzerland for some of March.
Original post by kripke
Anyone know roughly when the FSBs for DS will be? I previously read 'early march' somewhere but i've heard April floated around..

Wishful thinking as I've been amber banded for DS but I'd rather be prepared as I'm in Switzerland for some of March.

The message on the candidate home pages now says early March. Since that was only updated yesterday, that's probably the timing to go by :smile:
For anyone that's been to FSAC, how many pages of sources/docs are you given for the leadership/policy recommendation exercise? I want to know the volume of speed reading that's needed.

Also is data given/is a calculator ever needed?

Many thanks in advance! and good luck to those all waiting :smile:
Reply 1968
Original post by kripke

I've been invited to a DS FSB on 17th February, but they may be spread out over a longer period. I was really surprised, because I'd been keeping early March free, but luckily I can make it (getting back from a holiday the day before!).
Reply 1969
Original post by smokes90
Just had my FSAC a couple of days ago... I felt I was doing alright until I came to the final exercise of the day which was the policy recommendation one. I only managed to write 2 pages in total - most of it very vague, failed to incorporate any averages and stats.

I was just too tired to be able to concentrate to my potential. I'm not sure how they will take this, but I'm almost certain I have failed the day.

Has anyone experienced anything similar? What are the chances of success given the circumstances? Has anyone felt they absolutely tanked on one exercise but still passed/amber banded?

For the policy recommendation exercise I advise candidates to first fully understand what is asked of them which will allow you to plan and structure your piece. I would then read as much as possible, picking up relevant information regarding the question.

Practice speed reading, but also make sure you eat well on the day and stay hydrated. I found having a chocolate bar before the leadership exercise really helped me.

Hi Smokes90,

Sorry you had a difficult time with the policy exercise. I know exactly what you mean - it was the last one of the day for me too and you're getting really tired by the time you get to it. Hopefully you'll already have showed your ability on those competencies in some of the other exercises, and lots of the other candidates will be tired by the end as well, so perhaps you've done better than you thought - good luck and I hope you get through.

I think your advice for the policy exercise is really good. I'd recommend candidates work out their structure quite early (after the instructions / initial briefing) and then make notes under those headers as they go through the paperwork, so they don't have to go through and find the facts again later.

Cheers, Liz
Reply 1970
Original post by bluebird82
For anyone that's been to FSAC, how many pages of sources/docs are you given for the leadership/policy recommendation exercise? I want to know the volume of speed reading that's needed.

Also is data given/is a calculator ever needed?

Many thanks in advance! and good luck to those all waiting :smile:

I can't remember how many pages of documents there were. Quite a lot! It's more manageable for the leadership exercise and I was able to read everything and have time to plan, but there's a lot in the policy exercise and I only just made it through. I didn't speed read so much as skim through the policy material and pick what was worth reading in more detail.

They provide a calculator, pens etc and you aren't allowed to take your own into the room, so don't worry about taking anything (I was stressing about that beforehand too).
Original post by liz28
Hi Smokes90,

Sorry you had a difficult time with the policy exercise. I know exactly what you mean - it was the last one of the day for me too and you're getting really tired by the time you get to it. Hopefully you'll already have showed your ability on those competencies in some of the other exercises, and lots of the other candidates will be tired by the end as well, so perhaps you've done better than you thought - good luck and I hope you get through.

I think your advice for the policy exercise is really good. I'd recommend candidates work out their structure quite early (after the instructions / initial briefing) and then make notes under those headers as they go through the paperwork, so they don't have to go through and find the facts again later.

Cheers, Liz

Hi Liz,

Thanks for your reply. How long did you wait before you heard anything? I am still 'awaiting event'.

Good luck with the FSB, you must have done very well at FSAC so I'm sure you are more than capable :smile:
Original post by liz28
I can't remember how many pages of documents there were. Quite a lot! It's more manageable for the leadership exercise and I was able to read everything and have time to plan, but there's a lot in the policy exercise and I only just made it through. I didn't speed read so much as skim through the policy material and pick what was worth reading in more detail.

They provide a calculator, pens etc and you aren't allowed to take your own into the room, so don't worry about taking anything (I was stressing about that beforehand too).

Great thanks! Roughly how much did you write for the policy exercise? Are all the documents relevant to the task? In other AC's you find sometimes theres information to distract you
I'd echo what others have said about the policy exercise: the trick isn't too speed read but to skim read and identify what is worth reading, you don't have enough time to read everything, nor should you.
Reply 1974
Let's hope for some news this week! (preferably good news for everyone on here! :smile:)

Posted from TSR Mobile
It's confirmed I'm in the amber band, I'm a bit gutted really but at least it isn't an automatic fail. We will hear by the end of this week and if we don't then it's going to be the end of Feb...grrrrrrrrr.
Original post by d41k57
It usually changes to 'awaiting results' in a week or two, mine was 3 days later. How long after then you get your result is hard to say - if your FSAC score is very high or low then you will hear pretty quickly (with a week or so).

If you have a score close to last year's cut off you enter the Amber Band (basically limbo). They don't know the precise cut-off score for this year until pretty much everyone has done their FSACs - that's why only very high/low scores hear quickly as it is very unlikely the cut-off location will affect their outcome. If you are in the Amber Band it could take several weeks or months to hear (but I imagine most people will know by the end of March in time for FSBs in April). It is also scheme dependent - look into when FSBs for your scheme (if they apply) will be as you should hear at least a few weeks before those. Good luck!

Thank you very much for this long reply:smile: I was under the impression some people on this thread had been receiving their results within a few hours/day of their status changing to 'awaiting results'. Have I totally made that up or is it just very rare?
Reply 1977
Thanks! I'm crossing fingers. There's not really much I can do to prepare, so in a way I'm glad that it's early and I can get it out of the way (although it looks like the others aren't until March, so I'll have to wait a long time for the result.

I'm actually not sure how long I waited to find out about the FSAC. I was flying out on holiday the day after my FSAC and the result was waiting for me when I got back from holiday - so it was less than two weeks, but I can't be more specific than that!

Liz.
Original post by Fsds56
Where did you hear end of Feb?

I sent Parity a message and that's what they told me but also it could be by the end of this week. The waiting is killing me, I just want to know either way. I took mine on 26th Jan so was hoping to have heard by now. Does anyone know how many amber banded candidates actually make it through? Or should I expect the worst???
Reply 1979
Original post by FunkyGuy
Thank you very much for this long reply:smile: I was under the impression some people on this thread had been receiving their results within a few hours/day of their status changing to 'awaiting results'. Have I totally made that up or is it just very rare?

No, you're right it does happen. I had my FSAC on the 26th Nov, it went to 'awaiting results' on the 1st Dec and I found out that I had passed on the 2nd Dec. It doesn't always happen that way though and there are also lots of people on here who go into the Amber Band, and have to wait weeks/months. It all depends on your FSAC score and the recruitment timetable of your particular stream. The analysts (economics, financial, social research and statistics) have been getting their results much earlier than the rest as applications opened earlier and the FSACs were held earlier than the other streams.

Quick Reply

Latest

Trending

Trending