The Student Room Group

Taking a career break from the Civil Service Fast Stream?

Hi, I’m currently in the second year of the fast stream. Whilst I’ve enjoyed the actual jobs I’ve had, I really don’t like being on the Fast Stream.
I am really wanting to take a career break and do some travelling probably for 3-6 months. Has anyone ever done this on the fast stream? I have no idea if it’s even possible.
I’m also considering leaving the fast stream at the end of the second year as I really have no interest in the scheme and it makes me unhappy. Super unsure what to do as if I apply for another civil service job off of the fast stream I don’t think I’d be able to take a career break for a couple of years.
Quitting completely to go travelling makes me really nervous incase I can’t get another job in the civil service when I come back!
Any advice or experience welcomed!
Thank you
Reply 1
In short, yes they have. Though why you'd ask here rather than ask colleagues is a tad baffling.
Reply 2
Original post by hannahtaylor13
Hi, I’m currently in the second year of the fast stream. Whilst I’ve enjoyed the actual jobs I’ve had, I really don’t like being on the Fast Stream.
I am really wanting to take a career break and do some travelling probably for 3-6 months. Has anyone ever done this on the fast stream? I have no idea if it’s even possible.
I’m also considering leaving the fast stream at the end of the second year as I really have no interest in the scheme and it makes me unhappy. Super unsure what to do as if I apply for another civil service job off of the fast stream I don’t think I’d be able to take a career break for a couple of years.
Quitting completely to go travelling makes me really nervous incase I can’t get another job in the civil service when I come back!
Any advice or experience welcomed!
Thank you

I fully support stepping back from what makes you miserable! I’m not sure if you’d be able to get back on the fast stream, but by the sounds of it that might be a blessing in disguise. I’m just about to start the fast stream in September, would love to know why it’s making you so unhappy? Feel free to DM if you don’t want to answer here. Good luck with the travelling!

Quick Reply

Latest

Trending

Trending