Turn on thread page Beta

ReputationRep:
    Hey Friends/Strangers,

I'm having a day out tomorrow, in the land of Brummies i.e. Birmingham & have decided to visit following places : -

Birmingham Museum & Art Gallery
    Brindleyplace - Canalside development
    Centenary Square
    Chamberlain Square
    National Sealife Centre
    Birmingham Thinktank Science Museum
    Victoria Square
    Bull Ring Shopping Centre
    Cadbury World

Would like to know if there's anything in particular I should bear in mind while visiting any of the above-mentioned places along with some recommendation about visiting any particular place, that I've missed out on OR would you say, it's humanly impossible to visit any more places than the list above :rolleyes:

Merci Beaucoup (as French would say) !!!

ReputationRep:
    the mailbox is really nice, but its nicer at night, same about brindley place! er...are u sure ur gnna have time to do all that 2moro?!

ReputationRep:
    (Original post by j4mes_bond25)
    Hey Friends/Strangers,

I'm having a day out tomorrow, in the land of Brummies i.e. Birmingham & have decided to visit following places : -

Centenary Square
    Chamberlain Square
    National Sealife Centre
    Victoria Square
    Cadbury World

Would like to know if there's anything in particular I should bear in mind while visiting any of the above-mentioned places along with some recommendation about visiting any particular place, that I've missed out on OR would you say, it's humanly impossible to visit any more places than the list above :rolleyes:

Merci Beaucoup (as French would say) !!!
    you wont have time to do all that but selfridges do really nice food in the food court and its not that dear

ReputationRep:
    Are you planning on going out in the evening? Cos Wednesday nights at Snobs are pretty good ... depending on what type of music you're into.

ReputationRep:
    Woo! Good choices!

Pssst. You might want to pay a visit to the big wheel...

ReputationRep:
    (Original post by Helen_w)
    Woo! Good choices!

Pssst. You might want to pay a visit to the big wheel...
    where is it hate to seem stupid but i missed it last time i was there

ReputationRep:
    OMG ur coming 2 bham....HAHA i live here and its a joke..
    Look out for the tramps who *try* live in the turnstile toilets (there amazing :toofunny:)

oh and feel free 2 grafitii KNBS school its rite by cadburys

ReputationRep:
    cadburys is out in bourneville, bit a hike from the central of brum. Went there a few years ago- its a day trip in itself.

ReputationRep:
    (Original post by Kiesha)
    Are you planning on going out in the evening? Cos Wednesday nights at Snobs are pretty good ... depending on what type of music you're into.
    Will leave by 9am & could stay till evening, I presume.

Not a huge fan of club's blaring music, I'm afraid but I reckon friends with my should be into it.

Pub's mellow music suits me well

ReputationRep:
    (Original post by GiBB*)
    OMG ur coming 2 bham....HAHA i live here and its a joke..
    Look out for the tramps who *try* live in the turnstile toilets (there amazing :toofunny:)

Ohhhhhh no, I wouldn't dare acting like an ASBO kid

ReputationRep:
    the Mailbox is good for shopping if you're a millionaire.

although the top floor of the mailbox has a very good sushi restaurant- all you can eat buffet (the conveyor belt thing) for about a tenner at dinner time, cheaper at lunch time.

ReputationRep:
    make sure you pack a long sharp stick, don't show iPod headphones and always keep alert of the happy slappers

ReputationRep:
    (Original post by GiBB*)
    You go to the boys school? I go to the college near there!

ReputationRep:
    Hate to break it to you.... but Birmingham aint all that great! and snobs if **** mate... 14 year olds get in there on Wednesdays. Its only good for the prices.. theres plenty more bars and clubs to go to........ go upto the arcadian or broad st and you'll have a much better night out.

ReputationRep:
    (Original post by j4mes_bond25)
    Good, central, worth a browse. Large pre-Raphaelite collection.

Well, if you want to go to a café or Boots I suppose you could visit. Near the Ikon gallery (contemporary art). Maybe have lunch here, but every Pizza Express is pretty much alike.

Centenary Square
    Erm, well there's the fountain. This place tends to be full of tramps and 'sk8er kidz'. You can laugh at the pisspoor 'Flame of Hope' municipal sculpture they erected. Sometimes something happens, but this is really just a square.

Chamberlain Square
    Again, a square. Outside the Art Gallery.

National Sealife Centre
    Not bad if you like that sort of thing.

Pile of the proverbial, and it's not even that accessible (it's a reasonable distance from the central city area - I don't know if you can actually walk there). Avoid.

Victoria Square
    Another square! Wow! This has the Floozy in the Jacuzzi and the Iron Man. There's a fascinating pelican crossing as well.

I never knew death had undone so many.

Cadbury World
    As has been said, it's a good distance away from the centre. Depending on where you go from it should be at least 20 minutes on the bus; if you're confident with 'foreign' public transport and really want to go then I don't see why not.

I suppose if you want to go shopping then Birmingham is worth a day trip, but the city doesn't really have any great 'attractions'. You might be best off just wandering around, especially walking through the industrial areas by the canals. The best thing was the old Science Museum, which they closed in 1996 (I think, might be even earlier). Some bits have been moved the Discovery Centre, but it's a poor (though vastly costlier) subsitute and lacks all its charm.

I find the cultural life of the city more attractive than anything else: various theatres, the Symphony Hall (practically free concerts for student - £1.50 on Tuesdays!), decent restaurants (and all the Baltis). Try to go to a matinée or evening concert. There's really nothing much to do that you couldn't do at home!

But perhaps I'm overlooking plenty having lived there all my 19 years.

ReputationRep:
    Thanks to every single one of you especially Da Bachtopus for providing their rather valuable contribution. Overall, I had brilliant time visiting 70% of above mentioned places along with Star City, which was simply awesome. Thanks all !!!

The home of Results and Clearing

people online now

students helped last year
Poll
A-level students - how do you feel about your results?
Useful resources

The Student Room, Get Revising and Marked by Teachers are trading names of The Student Room Group Ltd.

Register Number: 04666380 (England and Wales), VAT No. 806 8067 22 Registered Office: International House, Queens Road, Brighton, BN1 3XE

Write a reply...
Hide
Reputation gems: You get these gems as you gain rep from other members for making good contributions and giving helpful advice.