The Student Room Group

Scroll to see replies

Hi Scott, I dyed my hair dark brown using Nice n Easy, i used to be a medium blonde, the dye turned my hair incredibly dark, it has however started to lighten recently, i haven't dyed it for about 4/5months and I am now looking for a solution to get rid of the dark colour, a lot of people say that Nice n Easy does make you hair go darker than it should and I was just wondering if Colour B4 will remove the colour from my hair. Thanks x
Hi Sparkle,

Yes Colour B4 should remove the Nice and Easy. In general Nice & Easy is quite a strong permanent colour so if your hair is a little porous it will go that bit darker.

I hope that helps.

Regards

Scott
Hey there,

I have a colour B4 on the way (extra strength) and i really hope this works. I have been using the black XXL love colour for about 2 years, will it work? I have been growing my hair out for about 2 months, and have used multiple other ways in which to remove this black as hairdressers will not touch it due to the length of time i have had the black in it. I have used a high strength antidandruff shampoo and that has removed some dye, when i use the colour B4 will this turn my hair funny because i have used antidandruff shampoo?

Also i would like to put the XXL platinum blonde over the top once i have returned to my normal colour which is a grey brown which i absolutely detest, will the blonde work and will it be a similar colour to that on the box?

It would help me so much if you could reply, as ive been dying to find a solution to these horrible roots.

Tanita
Reply 183
Hi Scott
I've already messaged you on here a week ago. I had used semi-permanent dark brown hair dye loads of times and used your product to get back to my blonde natural colour.
I used the regular strength and it's got rid of a lot of the colour and is now a light brown and a bit gingery.
I was wondering if you could tell me whether it would work if I dyed a semi permanent blonde colour over the top? Because I really want to get back to my blonde colour. Or would this make it worse?
Thanks (:
p.s your product is very good! thanks for getting me a step closer to blonde hair! :biggrin:
ScottCornwall
Hi Sparkle,

Yes Colour B4 should remove the Nice and Easy. In general Nice & Easy is quite a strong permanent colour so if your hair is a little porous it will go that bit darker.

I hope that helps.

Regards

Scott

What colour would you advise me to use after i have used your product, my roots are a light brown colour and I would like to go a medium blonde colour? Thanks
Tanita195000
Hey there,

I have a colour B4 on the way (extra strength) and i really hope this works. I have been using the black XXL love colour for about 2 years, will it work? I have been growing my hair out for about 2 months, and have used multiple other ways in which to remove this black as hairdressers will not touch it due to the length of time i have had the black in it. I have used a high strength antidandruff shampoo and that has removed some dye, when i use the colour B4 will this turn my hair funny because i have used antidandruff shampoo?

Also i would like to put the XXL platinum blonde over the top once i have returned to my normal colour which is a grey brown which i absolutely detest, will the blonde work and will it be a similar colour to that on the box?

It would help me so much if you could reply, as ive been dying to find a solution to these horrible roots.

Tanita

Hi Tantita,

Well firstly the Colour B4 won't react against the anti-dandruff shampoo and you should find it removes most of the black, however if your hair is long and you've been using irons you might find some of the dark sticks to the ends.

I have to say (however) that if you apply the Schwarzkopf Live XXXL platinum to your hair, (after removing the black) you won't achieve a very nice colour, it will go a brassy patchy orange as that product just isn't strong enough to lighten naturally brown hair.

I would suggest you remove the black and go to a salon and have foil bleach blonde highlights put through it and every six weeks or so just keep adding more and more. Eventually your hair will start to go very blonde but you won't be damaging the condition. If you try to get longer hair platinum in one hit - it will absolutely kill it! Your lengths won't be able to take the bleaching and your hair will break. The best way to do it is gradually. Adding more blonde everytime.

Cheers

Scott
Jessicka
Hi Scott
I've already messaged you on here a week ago. I had used semi-permanent dark brown hair dye loads of times and used your product to get back to my blonde natural colour.
I used the regular strength and it's got rid of a lot of the colour and is now a light brown and a bit gingery.
I was wondering if you could tell me whether it would work if I dyed a semi permanent blonde colour over the top? Because I really want to get back to my blonde colour. Or would this make it worse?
Thanks (:
p.s your product is very good! thanks for getting me a step closer to blonde hair! :biggrin:

Hi Jessicka,

It would possibly make it look a little darker and maybe not what you had in mind.

Similar to the previous post, if you really want to get back on track with your hair I would suggest going to a salon and having some bleach blonde foils put through it. You don't need many just a fine scattering. If you then (after having the bleach foils) apply a meduim ash blonde semi permanent through your hair, it will tone out any warmth and mute down the blonde highlights leaving you with a very natural looking result.

If you want to do this yourself, you can buy a Jerome Russell highlighting kit, but follow my instructions which I posted on the thread about doing your own highlights at home.

Don't go crazy pulling tones of hair through, get a friend to help and just pull a scattering of hair through the cap, with slightly more around the hairline to create a natural sun kissed look. Next apply the bleach (which comes with the kit) but then wrap cling film around your head. This will keep the heat close to the hair and accelorate the lightening. Try not to mix up all the bleach (which comes with the kit - only use half of each bottle/sachet. Just in case you need to re-lighten later).

Once the hair has gone pale blonde, wash the bleach off with Boots Baby Removing Shampoo (not the conditioner which comes with the product) and with the cap stil on - use a hairdryer to dry off the newly bleached hair. If the hair is pale yellow (when dry) you can remove the cap, if its orange you will need to bleach it again.

If the hair is pale yellow, you can then pull off the cap, rinse your hair through and then apply a medium ash blonde semi permanent hair colour (should be a number 8). This will then tone the warm in your non highlighted hair down and add depth to your new blonde highlights.

I know it sounds quite detailed, but this is the only way to remove the warmth your previous colourants kicked up in your hair and create a natural blondey hair shade you can keep in the hair.

Hope that helps

Regards

Scott
sparkle230
What colour would you advise me to use after i have used your product, my roots are a light brown colour and I would like to go a medium blonde colour? Thanks

Hi Sparkle,

Read my post to Jessika, because its very difficult to create a medium blonde hair colour by just applying a colourant to brown hair (even light brown hair). It will go very golden and look artificial as the peroxide will lighten the roots but the mid-lengths and ends stay looking darker.

I'd firstly remove your previous Colour with B4 and I'd go to Sally's and buy a 5.0 Colour Fresh and use this on your hair. Colour Fresh is a temporary colour and it will create a medium brown hair colour. You must not use a semi or permanent hair colour yet because your hair will be porous from your previous colour and it will 'grab' another permanent shade making it appear very dark. Instead, disguise the revealed colour (which will probably be quite warm) with the Colour Fresh and wait a week (ideally 2) before re-colouring.

After this time, follow the instructions which I have given to Jessika and apply some highlights and then an ash blonde semi permanent hair colour afterwards. This will create that medium blonde shade you desire in your hair, without it looking like a brassy block golden colour (which will happen if you apply a medium blonde permanent colourant directly to your hair).

Just remember to use a Colour Fresh 5.0 in the meantime. If you don't mind your hair looking a glossy mahogany you can buy a Wella Shaders sachet from Boots and wash this into your hair (after using Colour B4). This will just add warm tone to it and give shine, and is great if you are resting your hair for a couple of weeks. But the overall base shade needs to be fairly consistant, if the mid-lengths have lightened (with the previous colours) it's best to go with the Colour Fresh.

Cheers

Scott
ScottCornwall
Hi Tantita,

Well firstly the Colour B4 won't react against the anti-dandruff shampoo and you should find it removes most of the black, however if your hair is long and you've been using irons you might find some of the dark sticks to the ends.

I have to say (however) that if you apply the Schwarzkopf Live XXXL platinum to your hair, (after removing the black) you won't achieve a very nice colour, it will go a brassy patchy orange as that product just isn't strong enough to lighten naturally brown hair.

I would suggest you remove the black and go to a salon and have foil bleach blonde highlights put through it and every six weeks or so just keep adding more and more. Eventually your hair will start to go very blonde but you won't be damaging the condition. If you try to get longer hair platinum in one hit - it will absolutely kill it! Your lengths won't be able to take the bleaching and your hair will break. The best way to do it is gradually. Adding more blonde everytime.

Cheers

Scott

Dear Scott,

my hair is only medium length, just down to my shoulders, im prepared to have some cut off if it is necessary. If i were to want blonde hair asap, would you recommend bleaching it, and would this work?

Im desperate to have blonde hair, sorry to be a pain.

Thankyou ever so much for replying to my previous comment as it has saved me a hair disaster.

Tanita
Reply 189
gaggles
thanks scott, as i dont really fancy trying to pick out the red foils can i just clarify, if i use CB4 it will remove all the red and the dark brown and take me back to something before (probably med brown). and i can then dye over it all with ligtht brown???

you're a star

thanks

Hi Scott, me again. I have received my colourb4 now and cannot wait to do it, but...... in the last 48 hours about 10 people have commented on how lovely my hair looks with the red highlights and the red tint to the dark brown. (so I am presuming it has calmed down quite a bit with all the washing) So I am debating on whether to hang on a little longer before I jump into removing it all. What I wanted to ask though, as you are a colour expert. If I decide to keep the red for now can my hairdresser weave some medium browns and coppery tones highlights/lowlights through my hair to hide some of the red. Basically will somemore highlights, browns and coppers work on a red base. I have been told that although red is the easiest colour to get out of hair it can also be the hardest. any help much appreciated xxx
Reply 190
Tanita195000
Dear Scott,

my hair is only medium length, just down to my shoulders, im prepared to have some cut off if it is necessary. If i were to want blonde hair asap, would you recommend bleaching it, and would this work?

Im desperate to have blonde hair, sorry to be a pain.

Thankyou ever so much for replying to my previous comment as it has saved me a hair disaster.

Tanita

HI tanita

Can i stick my twopence worth in as I have had personal experience of this. DO NOT bleach your hair in one go to achieve blonde, it will be so damaged it will look awful and will break off anyway.

2 years ago I too was desperate to be a blonde, but had a really good hair consultation before I took the plunge. my hair is med to dark brown, but I managed to go full head blonde and it looked great.

Basically I started off with full head carmel and dark blonde foils and then every 4 weeks i went a slightly lighter shade. Within 3 months I was a full head light to med blonde and had a blonde tint on my roots every 3 weeks to assist with dark new growth. The only downside to this is the cost, I was paying about £100.00 every month, but I did love the blonde. I have been several different colours since my blonde year 2008 nd my hair is in really good condition. Honestly, if you love your hair and wanna keep it on your head please do not go down the all over bleach dye. I have no patience for anything and want everything done today, but whats 3 months and you will achieve a lovely blonde colour I promise. Good luck xxx
Reply 191
HI Scott

I was going to email your website, but found this on here and decided to ask some advice, hope that you dont mind too much.

I have used colourb4 and it did take out the old colour, but when I re-dyed my hair it went back to the same colour I had tried to remove. It is fading loads now and I have not decided whether I will remove it again, hence the advice.

My hair feels in really good condition, but it has been battered by colours in the past 12 months, blonde, black, reds and now dark dark brown. I am presuming my hair is what is called porous, because it went dark again (and the leaflet inside the colourb4 said this was the case).

What is the best advice you can offer to help porous hair. I wash and condition every other day. I do use GHD's and blow dry, although I use the shampoo/conditioner my hair dresser recommended which is a professional loreal one for damaged hair. He said my hair is not damaged, just dry!! But if this was the case why did the second colour go dark dark brown again. I want to try and help my hair before I use any further dyes on it, so I truely value any help/advice you can offer. How long will my hair stay porous if I do what you say?

thank you
Hi Scott, thanks so much for helping us with our diy mischiefs,and like many, i would be grateful for help and advice.
My natural hair colour is mousey dark blonde, my current hair colour is dark brown, it's thick, wavy and past shoulder blades.
I'll just resume a bit of my hair colouring experience. For the past 6 years, i have been dying my hair black with either nice n easy natural black or xxl deep black/bitter sweet chocolate. But, 6 months ago i decided to go from black to blonde, so i bleached my hair 4 times using Jerome Russell bleaching kits for dark hair (vol 40), but i reached brassy/light orangey and wouldn't go lighter any more, and the condition of the hair was awful. I didn't know what to do after that, so i bought Preference 7.1, belle color 7.1 couleur experte 7.0 and 8.0. Within the next few days, i was dying my hair with the dyes (all of the bleaching and colouring took place in one month), expecting my hair to be medium blonde. It didn't reach a nice blonde, so i dyed it with xxl bitter sweet chocolate, nicen easy natural black and nice n easy burgundy black. My hair is now in a much better condition (i soak it in coconut oil and argan oil), after i got rid of a lot of length.
My question is, would colour b4 xs work on my hair? (also i have been using curling irons occasionally) and what colour to expect? My aim is to have my hair colour like the girl on the box of loreal couleur experte 6.1
Any advice would be appreciated. Thanks in advance xxxxx
Reply 193
Hi Scott,
My hairs naturally a dark blonde, I'm thinking of dying it to a med brown or to a lighter blonde.. not quite decided.. probabaly only a semi-permanent as I don't want to commit to it just yet.. if I don't like it will colour b4 completely remove it to its original colour, or will my hair get lightened in the process?
Plus, will colour b4 remove the blonde dye (not bleach) if I'm not happy with it?
Reply 194
Hi Scott,

Had a bit of a hairmergency! Im a boy and I have really dark blonde hair which I dyed chocolate brown a few months ago and let it grow out. Had my hair cut yesterday and decided to go ash blonde with a Boots own brand colourant (not bleach) and it turned out white on the sides, bright orange on top and bright ginger at the fringe! So went out and quickly coloured over it with Nice & Easy darkest brown which worked fine and covered it but its so dark its almost black :frown: and the sides are quite short so look almost dark purple in the light! Just wondered if I buy colourb4, what shade would I go back to? My original dark blonde, the choclate brown or the bright orange? Really appreciate the advice :smile:
Reply 195
Hi Scott you suggested me to use colour B4 extra strengh due to my hair being dyed very very dark at the hairdressers. I had to use colour B4 twice as the first time it turned my hair a deep red and the next it's almost my natural hair colour with a tinted light red going through but im still not happy with the redness. Is there anything else I could do try to remove the last bits I really do not wish to dye my hair again.

Oh and your product really does work it is amazing from how dark my hair was to now is a huge difference.
Hi scott so my hair is dyed with schwarzkopf Ruby red which I have used on my natural colour (auburn) 4 times. I decided to go back to my natural colour so used colour b4. It did nothing. Should I try again? Thanks
Reply 197
ScottCornwall
Hi Lou,

You can use Colour B4 (regular) on your hair and it will remove all that unwanted salon colour. It may look a little brassy - as it will also take out any ash colour you may have had in the past. However, if the hair is a brassy blonde you can use Lee Stafford's bleach blonde shampoo a few times and it will neautralsie out that warmth.

Superdrug Colour Affects have a semi permanent colour called a cool blonde (8.1) which you can buy and wash into your hair. This should tone away any warmth. They are only about 80p each. If you buy a couple, I'd apply one to dry hair and comb through and then rinse (after 15 minutes) and apply another coating for 15 minutes to damp hair. Here you are doubling up on the tone.

Do not re-colour with a permanent or semi permanent colour, as your hair could go dark again. Its already done it once before and you should try to use temporary colours for the time being.

Regards

Scott

Hi Scott,

I have followed the instructions on the packet to a T, however it has barely lightened my hair at all it is much brassier but i would still class this as brown with slightly lighter tones through it. Nowhere near the blonde highlighted hair that I have previously had or anywhere near my natural hair colour. I have also used the shampoo you suggested and that has made no difference. (although not the colour as its nowhere near light enough to put that in my hair)

Please could you give me further advice as I am really getting concerned now.

Many Thanks

Louise
Reply 198
Hi Scott, please can I have a bit of advice? I would really really appreciate it.

My hair is naturally a light brown (which gets very light brown and auburn highlights in the sun). I've dyed my hair numerous times over the past eight months, both darker and lighter, so used colour b4 (the regular one. but maybe I should have used extra strength?) a week ago to remove the build up and try to get back to my natural. However I've been left with quite a brassy light brown shade which looks really ginger in certain lights (especially when compared to my roots). I expected this sort of result from reading the instructions in the box though (due to peroxide etc) so thats not the problem.

The problem I now have is how to get back to my natural shade of brown. I was thinking of dyeing it either light ash brown or light brown but don't know how successful either colour choice would be. I thought the light brown would probably be closer to my desired colour but because ash counteracts orange that seems like the more obvious choice. What would you recommend? Also you suggest using semi-permanent dyes and I was wondering whether this was due to trying to protect the hair from stronger chemicals, or to make us think about the colour we dye it and whether we like it before we commit to permanent or.. it covers colour just as well as permanent does but doesn't last forever? I've only ever used permanent dyes but if semis work just as well I'm more than willing to swap. I've also been thinking about going blonde nearer summer (through a hairdresser this time, I've learnt my lesson haha) but because I'm pale I'm not sure how blonde I could get away with. As a toddler I had dark blonde hair so figured I could go at least that light?

I'd be so grateful if you could help me with any or all of my questions. I've recently had my hair cut from a long layered cut to a slightly graduated bob cut to get rid of the damage I'd caused it so it's in good condition now and I really don't want to mess my hair up again!

I've been on your website to have a nosy and love your attitude about hair and how important it is to know how to look after it and get the best out of it. I'd be gutted if you started classes for uni students in the next few years because I graduate in June (well.. hopefully!). I think I'd still book a class but for a non-student if that was the case though. You seem fab!

Apologies for the mini-essay.
Reply 199
Originally Posted by walkern77
Hi Scott

Can I first say I think you are a star for putting up with all our questions! Thanks so much!
can I have a bit of advice about my colour situation?
I have been dying my hair dark brown for about 5 years now, (my natural hair colour is probably a mid brown) then last year I dyed it red using the live xxl colours, and it turned out a real nice dark red colour, i continued to dye it red for a few months. in june 09, I used the live xxl colour in platinum (and a few other blonde colours) to get it to the right shade of blonde. it made my hair quite dry as you can imagine. I then got bored and put a dark ash blonde on, then a medium brown, then a very dark brown (the dark brown was a 10 minute colour) and since that i've put on live xxl red again! The red i used had a lightener built in to the colour. its now a dark browny red, with slightly lighter red roots.
I don't straighten my hair, and its only chin length after spending ages trying to grow it from a short cut. The condition is surprisingly good! and I've cut it three or four time since it was blonde.

I always use permanent colours and they are mainly the Live colours or Loreal. I want to get some of the colour build up out really, and see what colour im left with. just to try and get an even colour that I can try to leave alone whilst im growing my hair. do you reckon that colour b4 would have an effect on my hair having been dyed so much?

any advice would be lovely

Nicola
x

The above was my original question to Scott. I recieved colour b4 extra in the post and have just used it. I am actually amazed by the results and keep staring at myself in the mirror!
I did have some root regrowth before using colour b4, but i've been dying my hair since I was about 13, so presumed my natural hair colour was a medium brown. How wrong I was! from root to tip I have this gorgeous light golden brown/dark blonde! No red in it at all!
absolutely amazing! i was armed with a brown dye in case it took me back to a horrible colour but it is just the best! great condition too!

thanks so much
Nicola
xxxx

Latest